Chapala.com Webboard

When making a Used Scooter Purchase

14 minutes ago, chicamysterious said:

What paperwork should I be receiving from the seller.

I also assume I should request the meeting at a "Secure" location? Not that 15,000 pesos is a lot of miney but I am feeling a little nervous about getting ripped off. 

Why not meet at the tag office to ensure your safety and to make sure you get a tag?

7 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Why not meet at the tag office to ensure your safety and to make sure you get a tag?

I could suggest that. They said the current Tag on it now is paid through next year.

I am not going alone and I plan on meeting in a public place.

I really want to know all the papers needed. Bill of sale? Registration? Title? Are the differences between car and scooter?

13 minutes ago, chicamysterious said:

I really want to know all the papers needed. Bill of sale? Registration? Title? Are the differences between car and scooter?

The best reason to make the deal at the tag office. When I say to make sure you get your tag I mean the tag AND the new (Your) circulation card.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:32 AM, jonnyintrouble said:

Unpaid debt: Text message/send to 90123/adeudo space licence number/send. Wait about 10 seconds.

Now if the debt is larger than he said you have a liar, why go on?

!5000P is plenty to a poor person.  Enough to stick his neck out.

A neutral place is an okay idea.  If you're large and look like a bouncer and he/they look like they haven't eaten in a week and don't appear to be packin, no problem.

If you have resident status you'll need the original factura (receipt of purchase) and the circulation (registration) (a silvery card issued by the DMV). A proper sales receipt from him.

See if the numbers on the silver/gray card and the factura match.  The scooter's ID number is usually on a tag fixed to the frame near the bottom of the motor.

Look up the exhaust outlet.  Should be tan/brown to dark brown.  If it's black and sticky she's burning oil.

At idle speed take a long, hard object like a screw driver or section of a broom handle, and stick the handle to your ear, then to various parts of the motor and listen for a knocking sound.

If it's a Chinese Scooter don't expect much.  Two, maybe three, brands of MCs (that I know of) are assembled here with Chinese parts; Kurasai and Italika are the most common.  They are also considered Chinese.

Check the oil.  If it's filthy it's a sign the dude never cared for it.

Turn on the lights.  Put your hand over the headlight and check to see if the light gets brighter as you rev it up.  Rotor/armatures (equal to an alternator) are expensive.

Test drive WITHOUT him on the back (riding bitch as we say).  

Last:  Bargain with him, it's the Mexican way.  

I have two at present.  Had three 2 months ago.  Lovem!

I'd be glad to go with you but I live far from Lakeside.

If you have facebook search GDL Moto Market, hundreds of them for sale.

Thanks for the good info. I appreciate that. I use segundomano and seminuevos apps. There are tons out there. It seems to be better than new. One I have looked at fir 25,000 new is 15 and less with only a few thousand km on them. They drop a great deal in price for slight use. 10,000 less fir a few thousand km is good I think anyway...

Ive seen the Chinese bikes. They look like the old Honda motor but I am sure the Metals they use and the type of manufacturing techniques used by the chinese make it less quality of the old honda. I would love to have my old 4 speed trail 70(if your in the know then you would know they had the 3 speed auto and a 4 speed with clutch). That thing just would not stop running.

But thanks again for the inside info. Thats very nice of you to provide that. Gave you a thumbs up. I will use it for sure

On 1/11/2019 at 10:11 AM, AngusMactavish said:

The best reason to make the deal at the tag office. When I say to make sure you get your tag I mean the tag AND the new (Your) circulation card.

I understand and ideally it is the best place. However some of the people I am talking to live in small towns not convenient to the tag office. So hence the need for what paperwork is needed here in Mexico. But thanks for the Heads up.

Archived