Chapala.com Webboard

Receiving UPS

Chop

I am looking to receive a couple packages via UPS from East Asia.  Walking by iShopMail today, I was told it is 30 MXN per package....which is a great price in my opinion.

Somewhere in my memory, I recall folks saying that they paid significantly more when receiving at the different mail services.  

Anyone with recent experiences lakeside?

6 hours ago, chicamysterious said:

Im not sure if I understand what your asking but in my experience I had a cell phone shipped from Texas. The package was the size of a VHS tape. They charged me 3,600 pesos. So I think it depends on what your receiving.

Hmm.  How did they know what you were shipping (and how is it there business to ask)?

Did you get quoted before hand.

Not challenging your experience at all.  This is really good to know. 

I asked 3 times during the conversation to clarify with them 'vas a cobrarme 30 pesos, no mas?' and the answer was Si each time.

How long ago was that shipment, Chicamysterious?

On 1/11/2019 at 4:22 PM, Chop said:

Hmm.  How did they know what you were shipping (and how is it there business to ask)?

Did you get quoted before hand.

Not challenging your experience at all.  This is really good to know. 

I asked 3 times during the conversation to clarify with them 'vas a cobrarme 30 pesos, no mas?' and the answer was Si each time.

How long ago was that shipment, Chicamysterious?

It was a couple of months ago. No I wasnt quoted that. I was shocked. I believe they open the packages as they are crossing borders. Thet are a private company not government so they would be held responsible for shipping illegal items. I beleive they also make good money determining some of tge items like mine. I got my phone free from a plan but i think without it was clise to 400 usd. So paying 3600 pesos was pretty substantial. They never said what the charge was. I asked around and the biggest response was import fee. I should have contested it as it was a warranty exchange not a purchase. They were shipping ne a replacement as I had sebt in a broken one. I didnt contest it. I didnt want the confrontation and I desperately needed the phone for work. I have had friends and I beleive there are posts on this board that they add a charge for checks sent here. I should say I havent ever had a check sent so I only know that from being told and reading about it. Hope this helps. I would have been better off Using Dhl or Ups directly but they had my registered address and they shipped it there. It definitely shocked me.

I have also discussed opening a business with a few friends. We would only ship what needed to be shipoed using DHL and UPS. Or Fedex and Estafeta. The other mail we would scan and email. Instead of all mail coming here. If your interested or know anyone interested drip me a line if would give us an idea of interest.

16 hours ago, bmh said:

you can send any package to all the paqueterías OCURRE and they will call you when it arrives at their store-  that is for free..

Thanks BMH - Could you explain more?  What and where are these stores?

i just recived a package from fedex the place is in plaza Ajijic .  DHL is on the carratera. I do not use UPS as I reported tjem twice to PROFECO. In San Cristobal de las Casas I do the same with Estafeta

The other day the bank sent my cards to a non existent address and I just told Fedex I wluld pick up at their office  

OCURRE is tje equivalent of hold for pick up which is free in tje companies but where you have to pay  in agencies like the o e in Sam Antonio 

I am wondering if the high price of receiving items at local shops like Soy y Luna or ishopmail could be that there are customs charged on the items.  I am told that items Over $50 in value have a customs charge.  This is what I have gleamed from talking with the people at these shops.

The limit for a purchase not to be taxed when entering Mexico is $50USD.  If the shipment has a higher value there is a minimum $16% IVA added by Aduana. It depends on what the product is. (Clothing can be taxed as high as 100%) The package company that handles the shipment must pay Aduana the tax for the package to pass customs in Mexico.   

Example if you ship a $599USD computer to Mexico with FedEx, DHL, UPS, Estafeta etc they will pay Aduana the tax on $599 x16% = $95.84 convert that to pesos at the government rate that day, and the shipping company will collect that at time of delivery. 

You should always have the receipt placed in the shipping paper plastic envelope on the outside of the package. If not Aduana will determine the price.. It is very hard to appeal their number, and it will usually be more than you paid.

7 hours ago, chicamysterious said:

I paid well over 16% so dont know what happened in my case. There was an invoice in my package that had what i paid for the phone exchange.

I am guessing when  you "exchanged" a phone you were in effect buying a new phone with a value of $XXX and paying with cash plus a used phone as far as customs was concerned. You would have been taxed on the actual value of the phone.  

I have made many over $50 purchases and never had a problem if the sender placed the invoice on the outside of the package inside the shipment envelope.  The problem occurs when  there is no valid invoice and Aduana decides the value of the product. The don't shop for the lowest price. 

20 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

I am guessing when  you "exchanged" a phone you were in effect buying a new phone with a value of $XXX and paying with cash plus a used phone as far as customs was concerned. You would have been taxed on the actual value of the phone.  

I have made many over $50 purchases and never had a problem if the sender placed the invoice on the outside of the package inside the shipment envelope.  The problem occurs when  there is no valid invoice and Aduana decides the value of the product. The don't shop for the lowest price. 

There was an invoice. It had a price of 0$ for warranty exchange. But it had a $50 overnight shipping.

Archived