Chapala.com Webboard

GASOLINE SHORTAGE HELP

gringal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably less than half the stations on the Chapala onto Guadalajara were open with lines stretching a km waiting to get in. 

No traffic on Lazaro Cardenas which was extremely unusual. 

Traffic stopped dead on Patria heading toward Andares. One station was open with a line of cars that seemed to have no end. Police were directing traffic around it forcing those cars trying to cut in to go away. 

Both the Pemex in Riberas and the one at the end of the Libramiento heading towards Guadalajara had gas this morning.  I got some at the latter and they only had premium (roja).  The line looks intimidating, but I only waited about 15 minutes.

This morning I drove from Jocotepec to Ajijic. 

-2 long lines at the Pemex on the east side of Joco

-1 pump working at El Chante

-Pemex in San Juna Cosala closed

-Pemex east of Piedra Barrenda closed

-Pemex near Los Sabinos closed

27 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I wonder how much of a shortage there would be if folks did not "fill up"  but stayed with their regular amounts..Also how many people realise the extent of the stealing and size of the llegal market

It's human nature to want to avoid being empty handed (or tanked) when we hear of a shortage. Yes, I think we've been scarily informed about the extent of the thievery. 

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I wonder how much of a shortage there would be if folks did not "fill up"  but stayed with their regular amounts..Also how many people realise the extent of the stealing and size of the llegal market

The theft is $3 billion USD  a year.The gas sales at the stations in Leon, Gto. was 80% stolen, a city of over 1.5 million people. The State of Guanajuato was getting 40,000 barrels of Pemex gas a day before, now gets 10,000 barrels. As long as people panic, there will be a shortage.

24 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

The theft is $3 billion USD  a year.The gas sales at the stations in Leon, Gto. was 80% stolen, a city of over 1.5 million people. The State of Guanajuato was getting 40,000 barrels of Pemex gas a day before, now gets 10,000 barrels. As long as people panic, there will be a shortage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/cartels-mexico-oil-theft-pemex-2018-4

Mexico's oil company is losing more than a billion dollars a year to cartels — and its own employees are helping them out

"Fuel theft is losing Mexico's state-run oil firm Pemex more than $1.6 billion a year, the company's director-general, Carlos Treviño, said earlier this week."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/world/americas/mexico-gas-crisis.html?module=MoreInSection_AMP

"The cheap, stolen fuel has created analternative market in many rural communities, but it has also cost the government dearly. President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said some 60 billion pesos, or $3.14 billion, in fuel was stolen last year."

It wasn't 3 billion USD last year 2017 but officially 1.6 billion last year. Obrador inflated the number 2X

19 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/cartels-mexico-oil-theft-pemex-2018-4

Mexico's oil company is losing more than a billion dollars a year to cartels — and its own employees are helping them out

"Fuel theft is losing Mexico's state-run oil firm Pemex more than $1.6 billion a year, the company's director-general, Carlos Treviño, said earlier this week."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/world/americas/mexico-gas-crisis.html?module=MoreInSection_AMP

"The cheap, stolen fuel has created analternative market in many rural communities, but it has also cost the government dearly. President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said some 60 billion pesos, or $3.14 billion, in fuel was stolen last year."

It wasn't 3 billion USD last year 2017 but officially 1.6 billion last year. Obrador inflated the number 2X

$1.6 billion would still build a southern wall for Mexico ! He only inflated it 1x. 1.6 +1.6 = 3.2. (original + 1x = 3.2) :D

Bought premium in Riberas this afternoon, there was someone directing the one line into four. It went pretty quick, although my car overheated and they put more water in. The employees were friendly and helpful. I had a little canister with me for gas for the mower. I was told they are not allowed to put gas in a container, only vehicles. I was told the cops would arrest them if they put gas in anything other than the vehicles. Tough on the gardeners who need it for their machines.

53 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Does someone have the # for the cartel?  I really need some gas!  Do they deliver?  

I keep a place in a small town in Michoacán that had two Pemex stations.  The cartel asked for money and the owners said no.  They were killed and the stations were closed now for probably about 5 years.  There are about 6 locations in town where you can buy gas from barrels brought in by the cartel.  Not very good gas, watered down some but it is available as I write this post.  

Anyone has read the story about the gas shortage.. In facebook someone explained that Pemex stations report what they sell to Pemex and pay taxes on that amount.. If a staton reports to Pemex they sell 3000 liters they then receive 3000... Let´s say that in reality they sell 10 000 liters, they pay on the 3000 Pemex replenish the 3000 and the other 7000 are bought from the stolen reserve... If all of a sudden the stolen supply is cutoff you have a whole lot of resupplying missing hence the shortage.. Anyone else has read that explanation?

Surreal experience today...

Even though I still have a 70% tank, I decided to see if I could fill up today since I plan to go to GDL tomorrow and have to drive someone to the airport on Sunday. Riberas Pemex looked like hell so I drove to the BP on the libra.  Pulled right up to the pump and there was a hand written note saying "solo diesel" , well that's what my car runs on so I yelled at the distant attendant "diesel". He reluctantly came over and realized that I indeed was looking for diesel. As soon as he put the hose in my car, several other cars started lining up behind me only to discover that there was only diesel. 

If this continues we might start hearing about gas theft from cars at night or worse. 

I fully expect to see somewhat of a ghost town tomorrow in gdl.

8 hours ago, jonnyintrouble said:

I wonder if diesel would get a small octane boost if mixed with white gas, enough to putt my scooter.   

Don't do it. I sold a Dodge Ram Cummins diesel 12 valve I ran engine oil, transmission liquid, cooking oil. All well filtered and mixed 50/50. Injectors looked like new when one removed. What I am saying is I missed that truck today.

Archived