Chapala.com Webboard

GASOLINE SHORTAGE HELP

gringal

I think we can be helpful to one another during this gasoline availability problem by sticking to the matter at hand re where and when gas can be found and where to avoid.  This need not involve a discussion of the various forms of government around the world, and shouldn't.😉🙄

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Thanks for stepping up and taking over.  After all there is a time to be a poster and a time to be ... in charge. 

Still no petro here in the boonies.  Still burning white gas.  Damn, this stuff makes my moto fly!

It's not up to me what the mods will and will not allow, so I'm definitely not "in charge".  It just seemed that the discussion shouldn't end where it did and needed reviving...ON the topic.

Now much longer lkineups at the station in Ajijic, with fights breaking out as people jockey for position. Riberas has been jammed up all day. Many people are thoughtfully lining up along the highway's edge. Many more are just being obnoxious about where they stop.

Fights breaking out....really? Physically?  Geesh, I'd hate to think what would happen if there were a food shortage!

Top traffic pet peeve: I'm stuck behind several vehicles including a stopped truck, and the guy two or three cars behind starts honking the horn.  Snort.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Now much longer lkineups at the station in Ajijic, with fights breaking out as people jockey for position. Riberas has been jammed up all day. Many people are thoughtfully lining up along the highway's edge. Many more are just being obnoxious about where they stop.

A friend says he saw two :()-jockeys actually damage their cars fighting to get in today. Reports from Guad also discussing violence in the lineups.

Instead of picking on how people are behaving, perhaps time to change the way we think.

Okay, so, having lived in a State where disasters occur, we have always stored gas for these types of events.  I recommend people practice preparation instead of crisis management and not rely on the current system to always be functioning.  Buy gas storage containers, purchase a gas stabilizer and date your storage, and put a reminder on your calendar when gas needs to be disposed of and replenished.  It may not solve the problem for a very long term, but it may certainly help.  Be prepared for the next time.  Learn something from this event.  Just a suggestion.....

So true Zeb. An ounce of prevention.......It is rather dismaying tho when one sees how some people tend to behave when there is a shortage of something or a crisis situation.. There's those who will push others aside to get into the lifeboat first, and those who'll squish over and help others get in.

So hoarding is your solution.. Eventually you run out so having a system of helping each other spot station or help someone in an emergency is a better system than managing gas storage.

Use public transportation if you can  when posible to start with..

19 minutes ago, Zeb said:

Buy gas storage containers, purchase a gas stabilizer and date your storage, and put a reminder on your calendar when gas needs to be disposed of and replenished.

And a siphoning pump so you don't have suck on a tube and get gas in your mouth. HAHAHAHA

bmh- I wouldn't necessarily classify what Zeb suggests as hoarding, unless he refused to share some of that gas with someone who really, truly needed it, or give others rides who didn't have any. It's a bit like growing or buying and preserving food- humans have been doing this forever- gathering things when they're plentiful, drying, preserving or freezing food for the times when those foods aren't going to be available.   

6 hours ago, gringal said:

I think we can be helpful to one another during this gasoline availability problem by sticking to the matter at hand re where and when gas can be found and where to avoid.  This need not involve a discussion of the various forms of government around the world, and shouldn't.😉🙄

So much for that plan...

30 minutes ago, bmh said:

So hoarding is your solution.. Eventually you run out so having a system of helping each other spot station or help someone in an emergency is a better system than managing gas storage.

Use public transportation if you can  when posible to start with..

Buses need gas too. 

28 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

bmh- I wouldn't necessarily classify what Zeb suggests as hoarding, unless he refused to share some of that gas with someone who really, truly needed it, or give others rides who didn't have any. It's a bit like growing or buying and preserving food- humans have been doing this forever- gathering things when they're plentiful, drying, preserving or freezing food for the times when those foods aren't going to be available.   

You've got it.  I have helped people who needed supplies and rides.  This is a way to help others.  I think relying solely on businesses or other type of entity  not a good plan, at least not for me.  It's the same principle as saving money for when it may be needed.   Even with saved money, when there is no gas, you cannot buy it.  After all you cannot eat or put cash in your tank.  Cash is only a currency which allows us to purchase what really matters and makes our lives easier (food, medicine, shelter, gas.....).

If people want to rely solely on the gas stations, well then, to each his own.

Actually I am leaving town for several month tomorrow morning and where I go I have a feeling there is no shortage but  I rely theer on public transportation and walking so That will be lee¿s one car in Ajijic, my part of helping someone else can have what I would use..

How is the availability of diesel compared to gasoline ? Added 300 pesos to my tank yesterday, so now I shouldn't need more for another 400 km luckily.

Drove to GDL today and passed one station that had about 100 cars waiting, backed up on the highway causing major slowdowns 

Archived