Chapala.com Webboard

Ordering Water Question

FrankyOP

Hey all got a question.  Im in the yutacan area and not lakeside but have a general question.  How do most of you get your water?  In the US, well we drink bottled water or tap water etc.  Also we can wash food with sink water etc.  Here obviously you should be using drinking water.  But of course if you get the smaller ones, you run out very fast.  Here,  there are these water guys who sell water by shouting aqua every now and then.  I have bought it before previously this way.  But my issue is im often busy or not at apartment at the time and they usually come around early to noon and do not come afterwards.  In our building, we have a number to call them and they always come around noon or a bit before or after and goes around other buildings this way.  Im curious but is that how it works in chapala and other parts of mexico?  

I have gotten water at oxxo by carrying the empty water jug and bringing it back to my apartment.  The walk is not that long but of course the water is heavy.  Thus its pretty tiring etc.  I seen a few ppl do this but rarely.  I believe if you are in those nice condos with like security etc... i believe they have a ton of water already and if you need one, you just go down and pay it and either they bring it up to you or you could bring it up.  Is that how it works in chapala or anywhere else in mexico?  Here in yucatan, that is what i heard if you live in those nice condos.  Also i believe the water is from the actual water trucks like crystal, pura or bonafont right?

So few questions on this.  Which of these water is the best or they all the same?  Also is the water bought from those water trucks safe always?  Because i read an article that in some part of mexico, some ppl were selling sewage water and got caught and fined.  The thing that confuses me is these water trucks that bring water... they only charge like 22 pesos for each water.  It cost around 30 pesos or a bit more at oxxo.  So its like okay you even pay less for water brought to you as oppose to you getting it yourself.   Can someone explain how they charge such a low amount?  Last time i got it was for 22 pesos only and im pretty sure that is same price they charge.  And does anyone know if the process they use for the water legit?  I noticed the tops of the bottles have a different sealing compared to the regular ones bought at oxxo.  Also, does anyone know if its possible to order the water from the actual water trucks that bring the water to oxxo etc?  Last time i recalled they stopped at a laundromat.  I assume they don't stop at residential areas?  Because if they do, well i would prefer to buy it from them since that water is 100 percent legit.  Also im curious but how much of those big water bottles do you guys use in a week?  Since i use it to drink and cook, i use quite a bit.

It is the same; garafones are delivered, or you may buy them at local stores, or call for delivery. However, you may also install a filter and UV light in your home, for just one "drinking faucet" at the kitchen sink, or for the whole house system. It is less expensive, over time, than buying garafones, and is much easier.

Well im curious but how do most of you get your garafones?  Also im not in chapala but are there guys there who drive their own trucks and shout aqua so ppl would buy it from them?   Oxxo has them but of course its heavy to carry and most ppl wouldn't be able to carry it.  Thats how it works where im at.  There are ppl who sell those water garrafones by shouting aqua etc.  But the thing is its only 22 pesos for one which is cheaper than oxxo.  So im confused why it cost a lot less.

I pick mine up at a shop around the corner, as I only need one at a time. Several small local shops offer home delivery for 1 or 2 pesos more than walk-ins. The commercial delivery trucks owned by Pepsi and Coke charge much, much more than the 18p I pay.... they and the smaller outfits do drive up and down shouting "Agua!" I made the mistake once of going into a privately-owned corner store and paid 38p. Ludicrous. Prices in Guadalajara and Mexico City are very high compared to lakeside.

47 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I pick mine up at a shop around the corner, as I only need one at a time. Several small local shops offer home delivery for 1 or 2 pesos more than walk-ins. The commercial delivery trucks owned by Pepsi and Coke charge much, much more than the 18p I pay.... they and the smaller outfits do drive up and down shouting "Agua!" I made the mistake once of going into a privately-owned corner store and paid 38p. Ludicrous. Prices in Guadalajara and Mexico City are very high compared to lakeside.

I pay 32p to the Cola truck in GDL. I am happy to pay a little extra when the delivery person carries the bottle in, wipes it off and places it into the dispenser.  

It isn't certain how good the water quality is in those garafones unless they are properly tested. Many people around Lake Chapala buy the water in garafones from those trucks that drive around.

I gave up on delivered garafones years ago because I can no longer lift them. I have a small water purification system under the sink in the kitchen. Two filters and a UV light. Cheap, easily movable (if you're renting) and I have already recouped the cost that I would have paid out for garafones in the two years I've had it. I replace the two filters every six months and the UV light every 12 months. I keep two jugs of that water in my fridge just in case there's a power failure (in which case the UV light doesn't work).

Once you have dropped a number of garafones nearly on your feet, the choice becomes clear... and I like being able to control my own water quality.

Archived