Chapala.com Webboard

Sponsoring Mexican Student

ManxMan

We’ve chosen to sponsor a Mexican student to the University of Guadalajara. He will be studying medicine and should be starting shortly. We haven’t sponsored anyone before and unfortunately we can’t afford the entire cost (living expenses, transportation, books, etc.). We would like to connect with anyone who has information or suggestions about financial resources for him or who has experience with sponsorship (to help guide us).  Thanks!

The A.C. "Niños de Chapala y Ajijic" has a sponsoring program for students from Grade one thru' 12, and in some cases their students are lucky enough to have sponsors that will follow them thru'  university.  Not sure how you connected to "your" student, but I'm guessing they would be willing to share info and guidance on this matter.

website:  http://NCA.org.mx                email:    info@NCA.org.mx                         phone:  765-3032 (2 - 6 pm weekdays)

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

The A.C. "Niños de Chapala y Ajijic" has a sponsoring program for students from Grade one thru' 12, and in some cases their students are lucky enough to have sponsors that will follow them thru'  university.  Not sure how you connected to "your" student, but I'm guessing they would be willing to share info and guidance on this matter.

website:  http://NCA.org.mx email:    info@NCA.org.mx                         phone:  765-3032 (2 - 6 pm weekdays)

Thank you. We'll contact them. Appreciate the information!

I believe UDG does not charge tuition and/or takes into account need when determining.  ITESO does charge tuition, about 100K pesos per year.  We are helping the kids from a Oaxacan family to go there, they are getting "becas" which reduce tuition by half.  When we had just one, we paid her room rent and gave her an allowance to cover subsistence.  She was able to find shared apartments with her own bedroom for about 4500 pesos per month including utilities.  However we will have a total of 5 and as many as 4 at one time so we decided it would be much more economical to purchase a suitably located apartment for all of them to use for the next 8 years and then sell it.  Even with the one there was a problem finding stable situations and shared living arrangements with serious students.

On 1/8/2019 at 6:23 PM, Natasha said:

website:  http://NCA.org.mx email:    info@NCA.org.mx                         phone:  765-3032 (2 - 6 pm weekdays)

I agree go through Niños de Chapala y Ajijic. I have tried doing it on my own and it isn't easy. 

The University of Guadalajara can give him the information and will help him with the tramite. I sent you an e.mail, that is what a young man I know did. He had a degree in psychology and wanted to go on to a PHD and did not pay anything after he was accepted for his MA He received a check every month for livng expenses the little tuition he had to pay and books.

2 hours ago, shortstop said:

Could you please also send me this information re scholarships.  The student we are planning to sponsor will find out in Feb. if he passed the test to get in.  Much appreciated.

Thank you.

If he applied to the University of Guadalajara he will find out on Monday and will start orientation courses on Wednesday. They don't give you much notice! 

Archived