Chapala.com Webboard

Dengue update

After you think that you are recovered from some cases of Dengue fever, it is the bad luck of some victims to begin hair loss. The hair comes out in small clumps and the loss can be small or large. Some hair loss appears on your pillow or after a shower and it can be severe.  Hair growth usually begins for people within three to five months. The result is similar to having chemo treatments.

Some women have had good results with doses of 10,000 mcg of Biotin and some need as much 20,000 mcg to see results. A shampoo is available here at lakeside and it should be used three times a week....the instructions are spanish only...AMINOTER...It is available as regular and Xtra strong. Extra strong is not needed. It is not cheap.

Men's hair is less likely to suffer severe loss.

I got this for my wife via a doctor. You should only follow my advice if you don't like paying your doctor.

Fred Habacht

There is no dengue without mosquitoes. We do not have any right now but they will be back with warmer weather. I know of cases of hemorrhagic dengue in Chiapas but I do not know anyone who died from it but that really does not mean anything..

There are still some mosquitoes around my house in Chapala.  In previous years by now most of the mosquitoes would of died off, but this year they seem to be lingering.  I owe it to the fact that although we've had some pretty chilly daytime temperatures this year but the nights have not been extremely frigid. As in previous years.  This season, I haven't needed two sweaters and a heavy coat to just sit on the malecón at night.  Just a long sleeve shirt and a jacket has been sufficient for most nights.

Interesting because I think it is pretty cold at night and we have spent more money on heating this year than other years. We do not have mosquitoes where we are. Are they tiny or larger? The larger day ones are the ones you have to watch out for.

The mosquitos that carry dengue are out and biting in the early morning and at dusk. They have stripey legs. 

If one is experiencing mosquitoes around their place in the dry, colder weather, chances are that someone near you has something sitting out with water in it. Not talking about a dog bowl, where the water gets changed or refilled daily, but a pail, a tin can, an empty beer bottle, etc. All it takes is a inch or less of skanky water, somewhere the mosquitoes are breeding (I call those caldo de dengue) They were bad around my place last winter- I saw a bunch of empty beer bottles stacked against the little house behind me- sure enough they were full of water from sitting out there in the rainy season (that neighbor never cleans up anything) and breeding mosquitoes.

Dengue has been widespread here at lakeside. At a seminar we attended...past victims told of their experiences. Some were infected three years ago when the spraying stopped for lack of funds and others, like us, got it this year. Knowledge, not denials will help you.

We are sharing what we now know and will continue to do so.

Mudgirl is very correct. We have seen discarded tires still holding enough water to breed these carriers. Todays afternoon temperature in Jocotepec, in full sun, was 28c/82f

Fred Habacht

Archived