Chapala.com Webboard

Capital One

HarryB

On 1/8/2019 at 8:49 AM, HarryB said:

When I log on after I put in my ID and password, they ask me to verify my identity by entering a verification code (assumedly because the VPN shows a different IP address). The code used to be sent by 3 alternatives text, phone or email. They have now eliminated the email option. Since their system doesn't accept an international phone #, I can't access any of my accounts?

Get A VPN like Express VPN wher you can choose from many sites and you wont be having differnt IP adresses. You can choose one address based on the state and make it static as in every time you log in it will show the same IP address. I have also begun to have problems with Capitol one. I have capitol one 360 checking Used to send verification codes through my email and talked to customer service and they said they were switching everyone over to text message or voice message a security code. They were true to their word. Even companies like ATT are using double verification to pay one bills . Issue for me was my wife was out of country with the cell phone with the number on fille and many sites that use double verification would only send and SMS to that phone number

On 1/7/2019 at 2:11 PM, rvanparys said:

We have a Vonage line so contacting Capital One or receiving a code via phone is not a problem. 

We have OOma and tried it and wouldn't work. I am trying to get a direct answer from technical support/ We can use capitol one 360 as our main source of getting monies from the United state at our ATM. No issue there.

On 1/7/2019 at 2:25 PM, ComputerGuy said:

I need to ask, what are they trying to verify? A change in password perhaps? I have CapOne, use their Website all the time, call them when I need to without masking my location.

Thats amazing. I cant. they are also instituting swift ID....https://www.capitalone.com/applications/identity-protection/swiftid/

Just called capitol one 360 customer service with regard to access over the the net. They said they were transitioning everyone over to verification only though SMS on cell phone and no longer email. They said its a process that they haven't done  yet for everyone. I asked if there can be an override for my special issue and she said that they are having quite a few complaints over this new change and there is nothing that can be done except perhaps help you whith a certain situation that you may need. I called 888 644 8314 . They will ask  for ss# and the last 4 digits of one of your accounts. In order to get through to a human voice say representative or else you get into a loop and they transfer to another dept and it got dropped 5 times in a row 

On 2/22/2019 at 5:58 PM, M&C said:

This is for multiple factor authentication to verify that it is you signing into your account. Capital One is my main credit card and checking account as there are no foreign transaction fees on the card and more Mexican ATM's than with Discover for checking account. I have the Capital One app on my mobile phone (Mexican AT&T service) which is one of the options.

It the banks and credit card companies really wanted to fight fraud this isn't the best way to do it. If you have foreign bank accounts you know they use an app or a small code generator. Why not send out one of those and require that generated number as a signature. It would even work on online purchases to make sure it is the card holder. Most of the world uses chip cards requiring a pin. This algorithm based generator would give you a new pin with each use. 

If your law makers wanted to fight express kidnappings they would require banks to let you set up a HELP code to put in the ATM that would alert authorities and send the ATM photos to the police. If you are being forced to withdraw money under duress you could enter the HELP code first, then the actual code if forced to try it again. You should be able to set up online what balance (maybe $10)  is shown when you enter the HELP code.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, geeser said:

It the banks and credit card companies really wanted to fight fraud this isn't the best way to do it. If you have foreign bank accounts you know they use an app or a small code generator. Why not send out one of those and require that generated number as a signature. It would even work on online purchases to make sure it is the card holder. Most of the world uses chip cards requiring a pin. This algorithm based generator would give you a new pin with each use. 

If your law makers wanted to fight express kidnappings they would require banks to let you set up a HELP code to put in the ATM that would alert authorities and send the ATM photos to the police. If you are being forced to withdraw money under duress you could enter the HELP code first, then the actual code if forced to try it again. You should be able to set up online what balance (maybe $10)  is shown when you enter the HELP code.

Does most kidnappers want $300 to $400 from a ATM?

3 minutes ago, geeser said:

For express kidnappers however much you can get out of the machine is what the want. Kidnappers have held women for weeks forcing them to make the maximum withdrawal each day.

That is not the case with one of our uncles. The money was paid, not with ATM withdrawals. He has not returned.

BofA sucks on this point. I know someone who dumped BofA in favor of Cap 1, got US$300 for changing her SS direct deposit to Cap 1, and SU@150 for getting their CC and spending $500 on it within the first 90 days. Plus the best benefit of Cap 1 is that you don't have to sometimes wait for more than an hour on hold.