Chapala.com Webboard

Capital One

HarryB

I have no issues whatsoever with getting email verification from capital one. What I do know if you set it up notifications from the beginning it can get real weird. we have 2 accounts with email verification. One has a choice of 2. The other has a choice of one and they were setup at the same time. I use a VPN with a static IP address which is real helpful. I also noticed that for me at least the capitol one website works far better than with Firefox than with chrome.

"The Codes" that are being referred to is a 2 step verification process.

I use Cap360 and I also have a USAA account that requires a secondary verification to enter the account.

You logon with name and password and they then send a text "code" of 6 digits to my "google voice" (US Cell) number which I then enter to access the account.

I personally like this feature. Nobody is getting into that account (unless the bank gets hacked).

You need a U.S. Cell phone. I have an absolutely free "workaround".

So here is what you do.

Get a Google Voice number. Its free.

You will need a US number to get the Google number. Use a friend or relative. On setup Google will call and send a verification code via recorded voice to the relative or friends Home or Cell number.

Its a recorded voice not a text so any phone will work.

Enter the code and you have a Google number.

It is a free cell number. Remember to change the settings in google voice and deactivate your friends phone number so google will  not forward the calls or text to your friends or relatives phone. You can recieve calls, voicemails (they are also emailed to you) and you can send and receive text messages via Google's voice app or the google.com/voice website. There are also other apps that you can use to make calls via internet connection with google voice. 

I should also say Google Voice has some very neat features. 

You can send your google number to many phones. You can change how certain calls are handled. Old boyfriend Bam straight to voicemail. New Boyfriend bam straight to where ever I am Lol. Its like have a free personal private switchboard. I like that if I change like say cell company I dont have to worry about everyone getting the new number. I guve out the google number and I just add the cell in my google account. I can make it where you follow where ever I go. Or I can cut you off. I can even create a voice greeting to a specific incoming number (remember old boyfriend) i can tell him off. Unknown number? I can require you to announce who you are and I can accept and allow the call to come through or send you away. Many many many features. And its all Unbelievably FREE!!!!!!!

Its kind of like the Old switchboard ISDN lines.

Does Google, with Google Voice, do the same thing with ‘retainage’ as they do with Google Search?  Google knows/has EVERY search I have done over the years. As a result, if I search for something (new) that I might want to purchase or know more about, it is not long before I start getting advertisement ‘drop downs’  of that product from other sites that allow advertisements embedded. 

• Like 1

It was Zelle and Venmo, both competitors of Paypal, that cannot be set up without a valid cell number. A MJ number is kicked as invalid. 

Capital One has some pretty tough security hurdles to cross which took a few phone calls but once that was complete and the iPhone app was installed everything works quite well. I even got Apple Pay linked to my Capital One account but the verification required turning on the Windscribe VPN to fake a US presence.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:44 AM, RickS said:

Does Google, with Google Voice, do the same thing with ‘retainage’ as they do with Google Search?  Google knows/has EVERY search I have done over the years. As a result, if I search for something (new) that I might want to purchase or know more about, it is not long before I start getting advertisement ‘drop downs’  of that product from other sites that allow advertisements embedded. 

You have a log if calls just like your normal cell does. There are no ads.

I have used the service long before google. Google bought the company and changed the name to google voice. 

I have the same issue and "purchased" a Skype #.  I receive the verification code as a voice. What I like about Skype is I could choose the state, region,  and even the telephone number---they list all the available ones. If you don't like them available numbers you can choose another city and look through that list. Very handy for when I am doing business NOB.

By the way, if you travel frequently to the US andneed cell service while you are there, there is a company that has free service, even a free SIM. It's called FreeUp. The only thing you have to do is go to the account every month and manually tick off that you want to continue free service.

I have a Simplii Financial bank account ( https://www.simplii.com/en/home.html) in Canada and quite often they have to verify my identity to do something.  Even last nite they required a verification and they called my MagicJack Toronto number with a computer voice number to enter on their web page.

Easy Peasey....

Now.... Computer Guy -   I don't have a VPN but wonder if MJ would work if I did since it is an VOIP system.  Just curious.

2 hours ago, John Shrall said:

Yes, but it only works on one cell at a time. In other words 2 cells cannot install the app and share one number. 

Good point John.....  I never realized that.  I just tried it by having both my and my wife's cell phone logged on with the MagicJack App and dialled my MJ number (Toronto).  Only one phone rang.

Interesting that my MJ regular phone also rang tho.....

• 3 weeks later...

Some time has passed since I posted on January 10 that I still did receive an e-mail verification code.  That is no longer an option.  I just spent a wasted hour on the phone with them and basically, they are insisting on a US number, etc.  I find these places ask invasive question that go beyond security for the customer, such as "when are you coming back to the US".  Gee, since when am I accountable to a financial institution? I also find it incredibly presumptuous that they call you by your first name as though we are friends.  Oh, and they think Mexico is overseas....really!

I will not answer those ridiculous personal about my travel and what do I have in the US..  My travel plans and activities are none of their business.  Anyway, after a wasted hour, I just temporarily disabled the VPN just as Computer Guy said.  I actually did know about this method, I just did not want to use it.  It does work.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Zeb, unclear on two points: " I still did receive an e-mail verification code". You mean did not, correct? And:

"I just temporarily disabled the VPN". You mean enabled, correct?

Typing errors on my part.  Originally I did not receive a verification code.  Later I disabled the VPN and did receive a code to access my account.

Interesting. The VPN is designed to make it look like you are in the US. (or whatever country you prefer). Therefore, the Website sees no problem and lets you go ahead. When you disable the VPN, it knows you are in Mexico, and gives you the problem. But you are saying you had to disable the VPN to get the code, which you originally said you couldn't get because you were out of country...?

On 1/7/2019 at 1:07 PM, HarryB said:

If you use a vpn the address changes daily. Thus , at least for me, they ask for a verification code which until recently they allowed three methods of contact text, call or email. They have now eliminated the email code verification option.

Express VPN has the option of having a static IP address.  

On 1/10/2019 at 7:20 PM, michael2595 said:

I have no issues whatsoever with getting email verification from capital one. What I do know if you set it up notifications from the beginning it can get real weird. we have 2 accounts with email verification. One has a choice of 2. The other has a choice of one and they were setup at the same time. I use a VPN with a static IP address which is real helpful. I also noticed that for me at least the capitol one website works far better than with Firefox than with chrome.

Yesterday I logged in and the verification is by text only on our accounts. Called them and they said they are switching everyone. I wonder what caused that to happen. ALL my other banks give me a choice.

I found a simpler method. I use Transferwise and they ship money from my US account to my Mexican one (at excellent exchange rates) and for a very low fee. They are London based and started by the same man who began PayPal. I have used them this way for 4 years without a single issue. Good luck!

• Like 1

I faced the same problem with my Vanguard account last night wanting to text a code to my U.S. cell phone.  There's an app for that.  I downloaded TextNow to my smart phone and chose a phone number in the same area code as my family.  Vanguard was able to send a text to the app.  I now have a US phone number to use on accounts and my family can call me without a long distance charge.  My mother and old neighbor called me this morning and the quality is great.

US and Canadian calls are free.  International calls are 10 cents if you have money in your account.

• 3 weeks later...

This is for multiple factor authentication to verify that it is you signing into your account. Capital One is my main credit card and checking account as there are no foreign transaction fees on the card and more Mexican ATM's than with Discover for checking account. I have the Capital One app on my mobile phone (Mexican AT&T service) which is one of the options. This uses my fingerprint to access and is the secondary factor for accessing the site from my PC. I ALWAYS use a VPN (Express VPN, $99.99 USD per year, multiple devices and/or put it on a router) for banking and just about everything else - like Amazon Prime Video or Netflix. Just now when I signed into C-1 from my phone the option for email verification is still there.

I use Magic Jack as well, but made the mistake of telling Synchrony bank that it was VOIP. They won't use email (don't ask me why?!! $%&/()S!!)  or an app and they won't use that phone number for the secondary authentication. That means no more Amazon store card or Lowes (for when we are visiting the US). I miss the 5% back/discount on Amazon and Lowe's, but the only other way to access the website or phone app is to wait about two weeks for the snail mail with the code to arrive at my US address!! Other sites (like Amazon - not the store card) give the option to send a voice mail rather than a text and the Magic Jack app on the cell phone works for that. Sometimes you have to press 1 to get the code. Magic Jack does not usually work with the automated text, though it works for regular texting.

This is all NOT a problem compared to my accounts being hacked or my emails stolen or viewed by others. I was told it was because of US banking laws that there is a problem with a non-US address. For my various accounts, only Discover bank is okay with a foreign address. When we first moved here in 2017, what used to be Scottrade told me if I was out of the US for more than 6 months at a time then they could not hold my accounts with them. I had already read enough to know to keep a US address to give out. And I have a "semi"-adult step-kid there to check the mail (not fool proof, as she missed the letter from SSA and that was a pain in the ### but she keeps sending photos of junk mail!).

BTW - Magic Jack (which is my "home landline") is cheap (I forgot the amount.) and it works fairly well, even when I am out and about and not on wifi. And the VPN does slow the download speed, but from 2 at best to 1.something is not noticeable. Movies don't generally stream on Kodi worth a damn, even without the VPN on (and it is required for Amazon Prime - movies usually okay but blurry at times). Cannot wait for ILOX!!!

One more thing - VPN's are about privacy and security due to their encryption. But one also needs good passwords (I use LastPass and my main password is a very long sentence) to also protect from hackers, especially in light of recent revelations of more sites having security breaches and data stolen.

Hope all this helps someone...

• Like 1