Chapala.com Webboard

Capital One

HarryB

Capital One 360 has eliminated the verification code by email, allowing text or phone only. This effectively locks anyone with a vpn or out of the country from accessing their accounts. Has anyone found a work around?

One of the first things I learned when I moved to Mexico over 13 years ago was to NEVER tell banks or credit card companies that I lived in Mexico--I am "a happy retiree who enjoys traveling."

If you use a vpn the address changes daily. Thus , at least for me, they ask for a verification code which until recently they allowed three methods of contact text, call or email. They have now eliminated the email code verification option.

I, too, don't know about this verification code. I have a Capital One 360 account but rarely call them. I only called Customer Service a few times in June 2017. But as for going online, I have never been asked for one. I hope it doesn't become a new trend, as I don't have a US cell phone number either. I tried to make a large transfer out of Bank of America online 2 years back but was told that without a real US cell phone number tied to a US address (not a virtual one created via an app), they would not approve withdrawing the funds. It had to be one of these companies: Verizon, T-Mobile or AT&T USA only.

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

Capital One 360 has eliminated the verification code by email, allowing text or phone only. This effectively locks anyone with a vpn or out of the country from accessing their accounts. Has anyone found a work around?

I need to ask, what are they trying to verify? A change in password perhaps? I have CapOne, use their Website all the time, call them when I need to without masking my location.

• Like 1

When I log on after I put in my ID and password, they ask me to verify my identity by entering a verification code (assumedly because the VPN shows a different IP address). The code used to be sent by 3 alternatives text, phone or email. They have now eliminated the email option. Since their system doesn't accept an international phone #, I can't access any of my accounts?

Ah. Okay, first I'd recommend temporarily turning off the VPN.

My own workaround for this kind of thing is that I use my daughter's phone number in Canada as my contact phone number. She gets the texts/codes right away, and in her age bracket is always with the phone, so I get my results right away.

Have had a Capital One bank account for several years and a Capital One credit card even longer. Never any problem. Never heard of a verification code. Never have used a vpn for any banking transactions. I do use a Laredo mail forwarding address, but they obviously can see my sometimes daily use of the account is based in Mexico. And I can use the credit card with NO foreign exchange fees applied, unlike B of A. In fact Capital One credit informed me that I didn’t have to bother with updating them about being outside the US periodically, that I can use the card anywhere, all the time. Yes, they do occasionally send an email asking if that was me making a particular purchase, and yes, I have always been able to click the email in the affirmative to verify the transaction. But that’s it. No other bother.

The OP is talking about signing in from an IP address that is not in CapOne's databank, so he is being asked to verify that it is him. No different than using Yahoo or GMail on a trip to France and being asked to verify that the computer you are using there is actually you. The VPN makes it look like he is in the U.S., and therefore to CapOne it is not only a different IP, but a different country. Simply a security measure, and I deal with it many times a week. For example, if I use a VPN temporarily, suddenly all my email addresses get notifications from GMail asking me to verify that it was indeed me who tried to sign in from a different country.

Since magic jack is voice over internet and not a phone company verification code to the MJ phone number will not come through with  their automated system. Was on the phone a long time today and I was told internet phone numbers cannot receive the verification code. We tried it several times. No luck. It must be a phone company number like Att Verizon t mobile etc.