Chapala.com Webboard

Price of Gas/Propane

Simon

I spent 1508 pesos filling up the gas tank on Dec 9th to fill it to 70% (137 litres) capacity. It ran out yesterday. Does that seem right to you? 
Maybe the tank leaks?
The tank is hid on the roof and I have no way to get up there. They brought a ladder with them.
Thanks in advance
Simon

The tank may not be leaking but should be checked. And, what is the age of the tank? They really should be replaced after twenty years. Or, you could have a leak in the pipes. I can't tell you the number of people this has happened to in my circle. Me, twice in two different houses... The easy fix is rerouting pipes up over the roof. It's probably where they should have been placed in the first place.

FYI, I have a one year old 180 litre tank and just got it filled on December 31st to take advantage of last years pricing per litre. It was still sitting at 40% AFTER A YEAR.

Simon, 

what type and size of gas water heater(s) (AKA boilers) are you using?     How many people in the h/h?    And, is there a lot of hot water use regularly, like filling a tub?    

Nothing uses more energy in the typical h/h at lakeside, than hot water heating, especially this time of year.       So if you have a good size regular hot water tank, it is possible to have used up a considerable amount of gas.     If you have a tankless / on-demand and low hot water use, then it would be good to check the gas tank and lines, for sure.

Nor would he be able to detect a leak if it's in the floors and walls. I would watch your gauge carefully and daily and report back to the owners. We did and that's when they routed the pipes over the roof.

de paso do not use much gas.. Do you heat the house with gas heaters or gas inserts?

A similar thing happened to me.. We filled a large tank 3 weeks ago and  it was down to 20% in no time.. It just happen than the regular provider was not responding so we got Los Altos.. I suspect  something is off but my husband says we used the heaters a lot.. still it does not make sense so I am watching the gage to see how fast it goes down..The gage says it was up to 80% after they filled the tank so I am a little puzzled why it went down so fast..

1 hour ago, Simon said:

No idea. No access to the roof. Hot water tank is Cinca de Paso CDP-09.

Thanks for the replies everybody. A friends handyman came over and could not detect a leak. It is now up to the owners. It cost another 2000pesos to fill to 80%

That CINSA model is quite common in the area, however not a true "on demand" as it has a pilot light and an internal 18 liter size tank to keep hot, 24 / 7.

http://www.cinsaboilers.com.mx/calentadores/cinsa/de-paso/de-paso-standard-gen-2/cinsa-de-paso-cdp-09-fl

If you can't detect a gas leak, the next test (you won't like this however....) is to shut off the boiler and monitor the gas use / tank level for as long as it takes to confirm if this is the culprit.

It depends on who you call. There is a Los Altos truck parked down the street from me most days. I do NOT use them. I phone Javier who is also with Los Altos and provided excellent and honest service for the full four years that we lived in La Huerta. That has continued in this house for nearly three years now. In other words, it's not the gas company, it's the delivery person with whom you do business.

I had my problems with Los Altos as well and do not use them as a rule.They ring the bell to say my husband ordered gas when it is not true. we usually get someone else but the regular guy did not show up 2 days in a row. The tank said 80 per cent so I do not know how they could have cheated me.

Los Altos price, on December 31st, was 10.79 pesos per litre. I know that the price ALWAYS goes up every January so I squeeze whatever I can into my stationary tank and my two portable tanks at the very last minute. Same with gasoline.

After buying our house in Rancho del Oro 2 years ago (and having it inspected), we were going through a tank a week. It turns out all of our underground and in the wall pipes had rotted and were leaking. As you know, there are no full disclosure laws here in Mexico. Had to have our courtyard and walls ripped out and have the pipes replaced. This is AFTER we had the entire house painted. Apparently it is happening a lot here from what I understand. The only way you can find this out is have an inspector with an ultrasound machine come out from Guad.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:15 PM, Simon said:

No idea. No access to the roof. Hot water tank is Cinca de Paso CDP-09.

Thanks for the replies everybody. A friends handyman came over and could not detect a leak. It is now up to the owners. It cost another 2000pesos to fill to 80%

Simon - checking back with you - que pasa?     Any updates on the reason for the high gas use?

• 1 month later...

Sorry did not notice your message. The owners came with someone who changed out the plastic piping on the roof with sturdier stuff. They say the problem is now fixed however I still feel feel it is too much money. if this was my house I would have a solar water heater, and a more efficient stove.

Dec 9th (2 people we had arrived Nov 20th)
1508 pesos 137 litres
11.01/litre
Jan 7th (2 people) (approx time 4 weeks)
2005 pesos 182 litres
11.02/litre
February 23rd (4 people since January 15th) (almost 7 weeks)
2000 Pesos 182 litres

Looks like the repairs they did had some effect.

31 minutes ago, Simon said:

Sorry did not notice your message. The owners came with someone who changed out the plastic piping on the roof with sturdier stuff. They say the problem is now fixed however I still feel feel it is too much money. if this was my house I would have a solar water heater, and a more efficient stove.

Dec 9th (2 people we had arrived Nov 20th)
1508 pesos 137 litres
11.01/litre
Jan 7th (2 people) (approx time 4 weeks)
2005 pesos 182 litres
11.02/litre
February 23rd (4 people since January 15th) (almost 7 weeks)
2000 Pesos 182 litres

Looks like the repairs they did had some effect.

Maybe not.

That's a Hell of a lot of propane being used. Up until a year ago I had a BBQ, clothes dryer, stove and water heater and filled up every two months for about 1,800  pesos.

I replaced the water heater with solar and the stove with electric leaving the BBQ and the clothes dryer. I got almost a year out of one propane fill up. 

SunFan

Archived