Chapala.com Webboard

Health care system like Canada's within two years

suegarn

People who think the healthcare system here works great obviously are not from poor or indigenous areas..t could use a huge improvement in CHiapas for one.. I do not know about the other states with are also part of the priorty states but  it does not work great here.in the highlands of Chiapas to say the least.. 

51 minutes ago, bmh said:

People who think the healthcare system here works great obviously are not from poor or indigenous areas..t could use a huge improvement in CHiapas for one.. I do not know about the other states with are also part of the priorty states but  it does not work great here.in the highlands of Chiapas to say the least.. 

It's hard to see how anyone who hasn't seen the conditions is the rural areas as well as in the large cities can make a blanket statement that it all works great.  I imagine it works very differently in Chiapas than it does in Mexico City or Guadalajara.  That follows, just as the availability of all goods and services is much different in the cities or rural areas.

Even when it's flawed and rife with corruption, the attempt to provide universal health care is laudable.  I have never ceased to wonder why a prosperous nation...the U.S.A...has so much trouble accepting the concept and implementing such a system. People can choose the level of goods and services that they purchase, depending on their financial resources, but they don't get to choose their level of sickness when it strikes.  And...all the good habits a person can practice won't save him/her from many kinds of illnesses. I've known people who were "health nuts", but who were struck down way before their time.

I think that is why AMLO wants one system, which makes sense to me . One system should be easier to upgrade  than several and I can see why he wants the poorer states to be improved first.. Down here many people pool their money to get to the private care rather than use the rural clinics which are poorly staffed lack medecine and faclities and so on..   

2 hours ago, bmh said:

I think that is why AMLO wants one system, which makes sense to me . One system should be easier to upgrade  than several and I can see why he wants the poorer states to be improved first.. Down here many people pool their money to get to the private care rather than use the rural clinics which are poorly staffed lack medecine and faclities and so on..   

AMLO is power grabbing only and it will obviously waste billions of dollars of taxpayers money for no better service to members in all 3 systems. They want to redo the structure of the Mexican institutes the 2 previous governments spend billions of dollars on instituting for political reasons not to stop corruption which can be done without shuffling them around to gain a political advantage. This is going to be a very costly 6 years for Mexico in more ways than just health care. IMO

https://www.infobae.com/america/mexico/2018/07/27/lopez-obrador-y-su-ambiciosa-reforma-de-gobierno-que-todos-temen/

" López Obrador and his ambitious government reform that everyone fears
Drastic changes will occur in the government apparatus with the arrival of the next Mexican president, who intends to lose public function and remove it from the country's capital

By Elia Baltazar
July 29, 2018
from Mexico City

Andrés Manuel López Obrador, next president of Mexico, will undertake one of the most ambitious changes in the federal public administration.

The workers of the federal government are in suspense, since last July 1 that Andrés Manuel López Obrador won the presidential election.

It is not less. Since his campaign, the next president of Mexico announced drastic changes in the structure and budget of the federal government.

Among them, reduction of high salaries, elimination of areas and the removal of at least 15 state secretaries (secretaries) and at least 16 other federal agencies.

All a recomposition that has as arguments the austerity - for the case of salaries and the restructuring - and the impulse of the regional development in the states - in the moving of offices to other states-.

But to date there is still so little information and data to evaluate these decisions, that spaces are open to speculation and political interpretation.

For example, that the López Obrador government would pretend, with deconcentration, that its government has more presence in the states to control and limit the governors.

Also, that the austerity measures -which will mainly affect employees of trust- actually have the purpose of a "purge" that allows their administration to replace those who resign with people close to their Morena party.

"They are not explicit political reasons, which can not be ruled out as long as there is no more information and arguments to sustain these decisions," says David Arellano Gault, doctor of public administration at the Center for Research and Economic Teaching (CIDE).

One of the first meetings of Andrés Manuel López Obrador was with the governors of the country, within the framework of the Conago. (EFE)

Bureaucrats in uncertainty

For now, government employees are beginning to analyze their legal options. Among them, the most viable one is resorting to the amparo, and the same Olga Sánchez Cordero, who is shaping up as the next secretary of the Interior, this is what she foresees regarding the salary cut.

"A number of injunctions could come, and maybe they would come, but hey, that is his intention." What he (Andrés Manuel López Obrador) said is: if they agree to be in the administration of my presidency, in public administration, of course we will have to have this republican austerity, "said the former minister of the Supreme Court of Justice of the Nation, in a radio interview.

Regarding the change of the secretariats of State and other dependencies, there is still not much said on solid foundations.

The document of its government plan, entitled "Nation Project 2018-2024", provides a budget for the next 6 years of 125,000 million pesos (mdp) for construction, equipment, systems, furniture and moving, and 22,805 mp for evaluations and studies of the viability and cost of the transfer.

There is also a list of the secretariats and dependencies that would change their address and the projection that it will not be an immediate change but progressive.

But that's what we know, broadly speaking, of the most ambitious deconcentration project of the federal public administration.
Given that there is still no firm information from which to evaluate a decision of this magnitude, opinions float in the air of speculation, says Arellano Gault.

"The information we have is very little," he warns. "We do not have concrete data - maybe they do - about a minimum cost-benefit or how long the change will take." Maybe in 4 months they take possession, wait, they will explain the measure better.

Nobody is above the president

While the change of federal offices is only on paper, there is a decision that will immediately affect government officials: the plan to reduce 50% in salaries of high and middle management, and the elimination of extraordinary benefits.

López Obrador announced that he will cut his salary by 60% compared to what President Enrique Peña Nieto is earning today, and that no one in the federal government can earn more than he does.

This decision, according to the forecasts of his government team, will apply to almost 54,000 officials, including area directors, deputy directors, heads of units, undersecretaries and secretaries.

These, together, add up to now a payroll of approximately 75,000 million pesos. But from the first of December will be reduced by 37,000 million pesos: calculation of annual savings.

It must be said that most of those who occupy these positions are employees of trust, that is, they do not have labor guarantees that prevent, for example, their dismissal, because in Mexico the career civil service is a dead letter.

Diego Valadés, constitutional expert, researcher and academic from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), assures that the measure is legal.

He admits, however, that dissatisfied officials may resort to courts, but they will decide based on article 127 of the Constitution.

This instructs that no public servant may receive a higher remuneration than the President of the Republic. By reducing himself 60% of salary, Lopez Obrador will earn 108,000 pesos a month, which will be the salary cap for the rest of government officials.

López Obrador has offered sketches of his changes in his daily press conferences. (Reuters)

Faced with these measures, Arellano Gault does not doubt that it is a good number of officials public trust, but that could mean a paralysis in the apparatus of government, because they are the ones who operate the machinery, and not the unionized workers, "which are very difficult to incentivize."

To these possible resignations would be added the possibility of cuts in personnel due to the restructuring that will mean suppressing areas of government.

Arellano Gault does not rule out a non-explicit political purpose of this "purge": that the next government wants to get rid of those trusted commanders who arrived with the PRI and PAN governments. Instead, they would arrive, he says, would arrive the most faithful of Morena, the party of López Obrador.

Economic development or political control

The other change that floats like clouds over the heads of all employees in the public sector is the removal of 31 government departments and dependencies.

This change will entail costs and its execution will depend on legal changes that will have to be approved by the Congress of the Union, where the Morena party will be a majority from September 1.

The data so far available are contained in the National Project 2018-2024, by López Obrador. There they are broken down the costs that the change of federal offices will mean, in the following 6 years.

According to the calculations, the next government will have to disburse 125,000 million pesos to move the planned sites, another 250 million for studies that allow to know the viability and the infrastructure requirements of the receiving cities; 1,400 million pesos for the first "master plans" and the executive projects of the first stage, and 20,834 million pesos in investments of works with participation of the private sector.

To finance tremendous change, consider carrying out an analysis of different financial mechanisms. Among them, the so-called FIBRAS (Trusts for the Investment of Real Estate), which are capitalized through the Stock Exchange, and other sources that are not loans but risk capital with private participation.

López Obrador argues that the concentration of most of the federal government in Mexico City means that 80% of the employees of the public administration live in the capital of the country and that the companies also want to settle here.

In his government plan he assures that deconcentration will favor the economic reactivation, the generation of employment and the welfare of other regions.

Regarding the procedures that will change headquarters, he trusts that new technologies will cushion the change by allowing better remote management.

Despite the misgivings about the change, López Obrador is firm in the decision. For the time being, Esteban Moctezuma Barragán, proposed as the next secretary of Public Education, has already declared that from December 1 that the new administration assumes, he will begin to dispatch from the state of Puebla, although the complete change of his secretariat could last a year. "

Continued:

"But not everything is as easy as they paint it. David Arellano Gault, of the CIDE, brings to mind the change that meant taking to the state of Aguascalientes the central offices of the National Institute of Statistics and Geography (Inegi).

That move, he says, took several years and was very complicated. "It involved looking for houses, convincing people, finding spaces, financing the state government that received the offices, and we're talking about only 3,000 people."

On the other hand, to disperse the federal government in a six-year term will mean moving at least 300,000 people. "Only to have a dimension of what implies the decision that is going to be taken and the challenges that will be assumed when dispersing so many people, even when it is a gradual measure".

That is why it is important to ask for an explanation on the criteria that will prevail to choose the cities that will receive the offices of the federal government.

Appeals as an example to the Secretariats of Public Education and Tourism. There is not as much clarity as to why the first one goes to Puebla, he says, as if it makes sense for the second one to go to Quintana Roo (state where Cancun is located, one of the most important tourist centers in the country).

"So far there is no explanation of efficiency and I think this will be the reason or the argument in the short term," says Arellano Gault.

From there he considers that in this decision there is also a valid political argument and another hidden one. "And I clarify that I continue to speculate," he says.

The valid political argument has to do with the development of the regions. That is to say: it does not matter if in the short term there are economic and efficiency costs if in the medium term we will see the economic development of the cities where the government offices will move.

"But even this argument - clarifies - can be discussed a lot because economic activity does not depend on the federal government." Despite this, he admits that it is a viable goal and he remembers the Inegi case.

"It seems that it did generate a very interesting economic bounce in Aguascalientes, which then allowed the state to be a receiving state of transnational companies," he says.

But there may also be non-explicit political reasons, he says. A "very sophisticated" would be to use this measure as a means of political and administrative control of the Mexican governors, who continue to behave like "feudal lords".

By increasing the presence of the federal government in the states, explains Arellano Gault, López Obrador could reduce the power of the governors and, at the same time, increase their control. "Maybe they have thought about it," he says.

There is always the possibility, as long as the next government does not explain clearly."

I  think people here desire to know what the Mexican news is reporting, especially on TV news, and are telling the people. It will reorganize the federal government completely at a huge cost for no reason other than political reasons.

I was at a meeting with the governor of Chiapas and a group of indigenous yesterday and t was announced down here that on Feb 1st ndgenous over 65 and other over 68 would see their pesion double from one thousand something to 2000. 

Six universties are going to be built this year. they will be totally free to the poor and students will get a small scholarship for their living expenses. The classes will start this year building or no building and they were taking census in the comminities and registering kids as the meeting went on.

Also medecine had arrived and was distributed to the centro de salud in the communities as well. The medecine usually get resold and people are left without ..pure corruption for a change..

You can say all you want about AMLO things are happening to the very poor that did not happen before. Hopefullly t will continue and people are very excited about having a president who wants to reform the system.

The 3 healthcare systems do not make sense, the 3 are bad down here, the best is the IMSSTE but even that is bad, followed by IMSS an dthe dismall Seg popular. There should not be 3 clases of health system , it should be one system for all and rich and poor would have access to the same treatments , that wll do more good to raise the quality of the system than anything else The wealthier can buy private insurance and go to private clinincs if they do not like it.

In France the public hospitals  is where the top doctors are, the researchers and the professors.. They may also practice on the side in a private clinic if they are in for the money but the top notch best knows doctors work in Universities and publc hospital. A Japanese woman down here told me it was the same in Japan, Hopefully Mexico will go that way.

17 hours ago, bmh said:

Six universties are going to be built this year. they will be totally free to the poor and students will get a small scholarship for their living expenses. The classes will start this year building or no building and they were taking census in the comminities and registering kids as the meeting went on.

It would nice if there were jobs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 3:51 PM, ibbocat said:

The major problem (or difference) I see is that Canadians pay their taxes a lot of Mexicans do not.

How many of you get an IVA receipt after a visit to a doctor or for your rent.

IMSS and ISSSTE are paid by employers and not an insignificant amount. Expats who join IMSS pay between 6000 and 9000 p per year and while less than Canada it does add up.

The IVA tax helps to pay for healthcare.

On 1/20/2019 at 4:22 PM, bmh said:

that will come..The poor are farmers and eat what they grow, haeve a roof over their heads, so they have a limited diet but they are not starving. The young ones need an education so they can get out and get jobs.

There are many great possibilities for farmers, especialy smart ones. Look at this "Plow to Plate" initiative in Puerto Rico. Involving local food producers in many things, and job opportunities, including fine dining markets, to which they have limited or no access to at this time.

https://www.worldcentralkitchen.org/plowtoplate

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

Please let me know when you can cover pre-existing conditions.

I don't think Sonia is interested in paying for someone else's medical conditions. Seguro Popular does though, until you leave it too late, or require an expensive procedure with a likely poor outcome. Or your illness is caused a cluster of problems, which they cannot treat all at the same time, or parts of it require private medical attention (lack of expertise, equipment shortfalls, etc.)

Even many Canadians are under the assumption that their monthly medical insurance payments cover the cost. They do not, not even close. The costs are covered by taxation. If I remember correctly, I worked it out that Canadians pay 30% of their taxable income towards medical and education. Even if you have no children or no medical claims. The vast majority of working Canadians are required to have all taxes deducted at source, before they receive their paycheques.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4364344/cost-health-care-canadian-families/

8 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I don't think Sonia is interested in paying for someone else's medical conditions. 

With all of the services she provides, I thought she may also sell medical insurance.  HAHAHAHAHA  JK

2 hours ago, Tiny said:

Please let me know when you can cover pre-existing conditions.

Seguro Popular does not ask about pre-existing conditions. But best to enrol soon as when it joins IMSS the rules may exclude those with pre-existing conditions and the fee may be several thousand pesos per year. With all the uncertainly as to the regulations for IMSS when SP is taken over by IMSS, numerous clients are obtaining Seguro Popular now.

Also, some states such as Nayarit, now only allow PR and not TR to apply for SP. 

Actually, I have a meeting on Tuesday regarding selling insurance. :-)

Happy Constitution day every one.

Sonia

24 minutes ago, Sonia said:

But best to enrol soon as when it joins IMSS the rules may exclude those with pre-existing conditions and the fee may be several thousand pesos per year.

Just like Canada's, eh?

Archived