Chapala.com Webboard

Weekend Plan

Sampath

I am with my family and based out in Guadalajara. I am planning to have a short comfortable trip this weekend(especially for my daughter).We have been to Chapala few months back and the place was pretty awesome.is  Chapala & Ajijic are same?Please share your thoughts for the weekend trip.should it be Chapala/ajijic then accommodation options.We are planning to stay one day over there.or any other places nearby.Thanks for your time

Chapala and Ajijic are different 'towns' and are separated by just about 10 kilometers.... Ajijic being west.  Along the way there are several 'towns' such as Riberas, San Antonio and La Floresta and one hardly knows when one ends and the other begins. A Walmart sits between in San Antonio.

Both towns have Malecons, as does San Antonio. Ajijic is probably more 'gringo-ized' and has more restaurants and artist shops that cater to the foreign population. Chapala has, to me, a more "Town" feeling and Ajijic a "village" feeling. Generally speaking accommodations will be less available and a bit cheaper in Chapala than elsewhere... especially right in Ajijic.

For accommodations I suggest just doing a 'google search' to see some of the listings. One of my favorites in Ajijic is  La Nueva Posada. Right on the lake, reasonably priced, has a good restaurant and is in easy walking distance to all things in Ajijic.     Others:    https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/Lake Chapala?ap=SAE&g2lb=4181926%2C4208993%2C4209588%2C4223281%2C4225814%2C4227717%2C4207631%2C4215556%2C4220469%2C4226110%2C4226113&hl=en&gl=us&un=0&q=accommodations lake chapala&rp=OAFAAA&ictx=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwik9Jb70tTfAhUDw4MKHS_IBk0QtgMIpgE&hrf=CgQIeBAAIgNVU0QqFgoHCOMPEAEYEhIHCOMPEAEYExgBIAJyAggCmgEOEgxMYWtlIENoYXBhbGGiARkKCS9tLzA1N3RweBIMTGFrZSBDaGFwYWxhkgECIAE&tcfs=EjMKCS9tLzA1N3RweBIMTGFrZSBDaGFwYWxhGhgKCjIwMTktMDEtMTgSCjIwMTktMDEtMTkYAlIA

That's because Riberas and La Floresta are fraccionamientos, not towns as such. But yes, unless you know the area, you'd never really know the boundaries. Heck, going west from Ajijic, the Jocotepec municipality sign appears over the highway many kilometres before you get there, and includes the town of San Juan Cosala. People still argue over that one.

From the “old” downtown GDL bus depot take the Chapal Bus to..... Chapala. From there either a taxi or local bus over to Ajijic. Or go to the airport and take a personal taxi to Lakeside.... Ajijic for 420 pesos. 

Archived