Chapala.com Webboard

Disgusting Act

monadog

I was in Walmart some days ago and at the hot food counter and observed 2 young Mexican boys take a chicken wing each and take off. Then a old gringo looking man walked up and picked up 4 to 5 pieces of chicken breast. Checking each piece to see if it was the right size and weight that he wanted with his bare hands. There were tongs to use 15 inches or less from the chicken for this purpose. And yeah, I am confident that he washed his hands after his last bowel movement.

That food counter should not be accessible to the public!

I guess like pretty much everything at that WalMart, the least effort they can expend is the rule of law. I was in there this afternoon... the shelves are half empty. Yeah, it's the holidays, but they know better. And getting someone to help you at that hot counter is an effort every time. But, there it is.

I worked one summer in Canada in a fruit and veggie stand that a friend owned. One day a woman was fussing around over by the pile of corn on the cob for an inordinate amount of time, then left without buying anything. When I went over to tidy up the pile she's made a mess of, I found 4 ears of corn she'd peeled the husk back on , and had taken a bite out of each one.

"Walmart" and "food" always seems like an oxymoron to me, anyway. 

In one of my restaurants I had a buffet.  One time a man came in and got four chicken breasts and took one bite out of each of them.  When he went to pay out he became quite irate when I asked him not to come back. 

Only because I think in this case... and I agree... the hot foods are open on the customer side, because the majority of the time the staff just hand you a pair of tongs. But they also have to dig up the foam plates to put stuff on. If it was closed to the customers, we wouldn't have to worry... about sneezing, either.

IMHO and for all the reasons mentioned and more, any hot deli case should be closed on the customer side, and open / accessible only on the staff side.    

Using clear plastic or glass cases still allows legit clients to see and point to what they want.

Archived