Chapala.com Webboard

Hourly wage for "domestic diva"

Sandrita

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10% is what is expected in many places in Mexico where there are not many foreigners

Not everyone is from NOB and thinks everything is cheap,People who live in this economy do not think things are cheap.Foreigners want to be the good guys but sorry you are not the good guy you are being paternalistic.

2 hours ago, rvanparys said:

So what is so wrong with sharing the wealth? Better for one to do it than some government!

There's nothing at all wrong with sharing the wealth. Helping those less fortunate than you is an admirable quality. But there are many ways to do that. You can sponsor education for a student from a low-income family, contribute to charities, offer to pay for your maid or gardener's car repairs, hand out gift certificates to places they like to shop, etc, etc. Tipping extravagantly leads those tipped to expect to receive those tip %s all the time and resent those who aren't wealthy enough to do so. So you screw things up for those who don't have so much disposable income. 

Exactly my feeling mudgirl.. Do not screw it up for everyone else so you can feel good. Sponsor a child , help people  in needs if you want to really help.

If you want to share the wealth give your house to someone who needs it, pay por someone's education , giving a few extra pesos is not sharing the wealth just screwing up the expectations of people and making it harder on those who cannot pay higher rates --

Oh, you're rating other posters now on their characters? How humble of you.

57 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

God have I heard that a thousand times.  Yeah, tip too much and you could crash the local economy.  Next time a waitress gives me a dirty look for being cheap I'll just tell her I helped an old lady cross the road not 10 minutes ago.  That'll make her feel better, eh?  On humility I rate you 1.5/10.  

Oh, you're rating other posters now on their characters? How humble of you.

On January 4, 2019 at 11:23 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Then I suggest you have a fairly small circle of Canadian friends, because 15% is the absolute max my Canadian (including myself) frienstip in Canada. Unless the service is spectacular. 20% percent is, to me, unwarranted and unreasonable.

Here in the great State of Washington it's customary to tip 20% plus.  The rule here for years has been you double the sales tax for the tip amount which averages a little over 20%.  Going by this, the cheap Canadian "myth" is not so much a myth after all!

Pedro. I'm from Seattle, although I have been here some 9 months of the year since 1997. And I am not an expert on the subject, but I thought 15% was a normal and generous tip.  Have things changed? Or am I wrong?

Seems to me you have that backwards, pedro. I'm from the Great Country of Canada, and we don't believe in pissing away our money. Particularly when sales tax and alcohol is included. It makes the "Washington rule" an exercise in excessiveness.

24 minutes ago, johanson said:

Pedro. I'm from Seattle, although I have been here some 9 months of the year since 1997. And I am not an expert on the subject, but I thought 15% was a normal and generous tip.  Have things changed? Or am I wrong?

Thanks for chiming in compadre johanson!

It might just be more of a Port Townsend/Olympic Peninsula thing?   Doubling the tax has been the norm here for at least 30 years and as our sales tax has increased, so has the tip amount.  Now when you visit venues you are presented with an iPad for credit card purchase with the recommended tip of "20%" suggested on the payment page almost everywhere we go.  You can then adjust it upward or downward.  Was recently in an Olive Garden in Silverdale and was presented with the same iPad recommending the same 20% tip.  I think 15% is actually fair and is what we paid for many years when our sales tax was under 8%.  But now everyone seems to expect the 20% which jives with the increase in our sales tax.  I think they are just greedier here on the Peninsula and Port Townsend has always been a bit overpriced as a tourist destination/trap.  I rarely make it to Seattle so I don't know what the tip expectations are there.

6 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Seems to me you have that backwards. I'm from the Great Country of Canada, and we don't believe in pissing away our money. Particularly when sales tax and alcohol is included. It makes the "Washington rule" an exercise in excessiveness.

Sorry about the "jab" ComputerGuy but I just couldn't resist the opportunity to promote the "cheap Canadian" stereotype.  As I mentioned to johanson, I actually feel 15% is fair.  Tongue in cheek, no offense meant.

3 hours ago, pedro malo said:

Was recently in an Olive Garden in Silverdale and was presented with the same iPad recommending the same 20% tip. 

See, that's exactly what irritates me. "Recommending" a certain percentage of tip means a tip now no longer represents a reward for good service. It's just basically become what amounts to another tax on your bill. And there is now no way for a waiter or others in the service industry to assess whether they are actually doing a good job, when a certain percentage of "tip" is simply expected.

It's like when there's a event that says "Suggested donation 200 pesos" That's not a donation. An actual donation amount is left up to the donor. Why not just be up front and say "Admission fee 200 pesos". You can always have a jar on the entrance table for "Further donations".

7 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

See, that's exactly what irritates me. "Recommending" a certain percentage of tip means a tip now no longer represents a reward for good service. It's just basically become what amounts to another tax on your bill. And there is now no way for a waiter or others in the service industry to assess whether they are actually doing a good job, when a certain percentage of "tip" is simply expected.

It's like when there's a event that says "Suggested donation 200 pesos" That's not a donation. An actual donation amount is left up to the donator. Why not just be up front and  say "Admission fee 200 pesos". You can always have a jar on the entrance table for "Further donations".

Your exactly right mudgirl.

1 hour ago, pedro malo said:

Sorry about the "jab" ComputerGuy but I just couldn't resist the opportunity to promote the "cheap Canadian" stereotype.  As I mentioned to johanson, I actually feel 15% is fair.  Tongue in cheek, no offense meant.

None taken. Just playing along.

It is interesting to me that people who move here insist on keeping their rules from another country.  All the Mexicans I know leave 10% and many  foreigners  get all self righteous about it although they do not get upset  in countries where you do not tip or where the tip is included.

This thread is about wages for maids which has morphed into tipping at restaurants. Why not leave the percentage of tipping up to individual discretion instead of arguing what is the correct amount in Mexico? No tipping in Canada does't mean no tipping required in Mexico. 20% tipping in the U.S. doesn't mean you have to do the same here. Do what you think is right.

Tipping is at the discretion of the person who tips no matter what the discussion is and it is good that people who have relatives in Mexico express what Mexicans say and do.I believe in following the local customs and not following what I do in other countries but then I adjust pretty easily and other people do not.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' tip.  Sometimes, a generous tip might be appropriate for excellent service and attention to your needs.  Sometimes, you might tip very little, or nothing at all, if the service was poor, or the wait staff was not attentive.  If you have to interrupt their conversations to get service, or your bill, let them know the reason their service was unsatisfactory and tip, or not, accordingly.  Speak to management also. A poor waiter can really hurt an otherwise good restaurant, or any other business that serves the public.  

T.I.P. = To Insure Promptness

16 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

None taken. Just playing along.

By the way Computer Guy, Canada is a "Great Country", we regularly cross the "pond" from Port Angeles to Victoria, BC and I always get the sense of being in Europe there for some reason.  Have been to Vancouver, BC and all over Alberta and have found the people warm and inviting.  There is definitely some subtle differences between Canucks and Yanks apart from what we share in common.  I find societally that the average Canadian seems a little more "cultured" than us Yanks.

My last off topic comment in this tread. 

Archived