Chapala.com Webboard

Hourly wage for "domestic diva"

Sandrita

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like my cleaning lady has a car...

Look, other stories will differ, but my maid works all day, every day at various houses. The one major drawback (besides this kind of back-breaking work) is the number of buses she needs to take every day. She's not rich, but she does all right for local mano de obra.

My cleaning lady has  a new car as her previous one had too many problems. I was amazed that she could buy a new one. She said no problem it is easy to get credit. And she takes two holidays a year.  She works hard and has many jobs but I don't know how she does it. A husband is never mentioned.  I think 60 to 70 per hour is becoming the norm.

I pay my cleaning lady what she requested which is 50/hr. Mexicans cannot afford to pay more and are being forced to give up the hired help due to foreigners inflating the market. My friend's maid bought her house and owns her car as well. They are living on the Mexican economy, not the US's. The pay here is high for the rest of Mexico, I wonder how much is paid in the cities? 

I believe in rewarding good service... A maid who goes the extra mile and does more than the customary duties is worth their weight in gold... Same for gardeners, good work deserves a better than average compensation... My dos centavos...

O can tell you that in some companies in Guadalajara people get bonuses for doing their job well and for arriving on time and I do not know what else ..but yes the smart companies reward people for outstanding performances..

The good part of the bonuses is that they do not raise the base that is used for severance or pensions and they give people more money for good performances..

Canadians are known for being poor tippers. It's only half true, and there is a reason: service in the vast majority of restaurants in my home has been historically deplorable. But when service is good, we are all so surprised that we tend to tip more. A waiter/waitress should be doing an excellent job just to start.

5 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

I pay my cleaning lady what she requested which is 50/hr. Mexicans cannot afford to pay more and are being forced to give up the hired help due to foreigners inflating the market. My friend's maid bought her house and owns her car as well. They are living on the Mexican economy, not the US's. The pay here is high for the rest of Mexico, I wonder how much is paid in the cities? 

I can tell you that here in Sayulita you can't get a cleaning person for less than 70 pesos/hour now, and some charge up to 100 pesos. 300 pesos for 4 hours seems to be average.

I have no idea what Chinese cheap is. I have a feeling it's not pleasant.

The myth of Canadian tipping is just that. I think of it as using my common sense... for example, not blowing wads of money and raising expectations unrealistically, and promoting continued lousy service by rewarding same.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Canadians are known for being poor tippers. It's only half true, and there is a reason: service in the vast majority of restaurants in my home has been historically deplorable. But when service is good, we are all so surprised that we tend to tip more. A waiter/waitress should be doing an excellent job just to start.

Every Canadian that I know, including myself always tip 20% at restaurants, sometimes more if it is exceptional.  The only time I tip less is if the service is deplorable.  I also let the server know if I'm not pleased, so they have the opportunity to correct the problem.

Then I suggest you have a fairly small circle of Canadian friends, because 15% is the absolute max my Canadian (including myself) frienstip in Canada. Unless the service is spectacular. 20% percent is, to me, unwarranted and unreasonable.

If one visits the same restaurant frequently, leaving a gracious tip doubly ensures that one will get a table when there is a waiting line... and the service continues to be outstanding...

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I have no idea what Chinese cheap is. I have a feeling it's not pleasant.

The myth of Canadian tipping is just that. I think of it as using my common sense... for example, not blowing wads of money and raising expectations unrealistically, and promoting continued lousy service by rewarding same.

I agree. It is definitely a myth. 

Archived