Chapala.com Webboard

Medicare Part B

I found an earlier topic from October of 2018 about people having problems with SSA.

After waiting 80 minutes on the phone with SSA to ask them why I had received a smaller amount in November than before, they told me that Medicare Part B was automatically deducted as I was about to turn 65. I told them I had no intention of using US health care again. So she said, fill out an SSA form to Opt Out of Medicare B and send it. I forwarded a filled in PDF, sent it to the Federal Benefits Unit of our Embassy via email, and they told me that it would be canceled but would only take effect in 2019, and that I had to pay for it through 2018. Thanks for that.

An SSA office in Baltimore mailed me a letter to confirm that I had opted out Part B and would receive the full amount, but my local SSA in Massachusetts sent me a letter that Medicare Part B would be deducted forever. Yesterday, a different letter came from Baltimore, asking if I would like to apply for Part B! (even though I was told the deduction was automatic unless otherwise instructed). The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

I am really sorry that I partially depend on income from this US government institution. Very depressing. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Michel

https://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/80755-social-security-issues/&tab=comments#comment-594016

I had the opposite! I wanted part b and applied but they answered a year later saying I was too late! They want to deduct 1o% more a month forever!!!!!

So I am appealing this. Maybe in a few years I’ll get an answer .....

21 hours ago, bostonfrog2012 said:

I am really sorry that I partially depend on income from this US government institution. Very depressing. Any thoughts?

My only thought is that, if you are so sorry that you have to depend on that source of income from "them", I'll bet you could "will" that income to someone else who would gladly take your share. 🤣

I am sorry that this was the kind of response to have gotten from you RickS -- sarcastic rather than helpful.

When I expressed "being sorry", it has nothing to do with receiving that federal money for which I am actually very grateful, contrary to your disparaging comment that was totally out of context! It has to do with the federal office that handles these benefits, and I know that things aren't easy for the SSA now, what with a partial shutdown, more and more beneficiaries and fewer people paying into the system.

It has to do with the confusion about whether I am actually opted out of Part B or not, as one office sends me 1 thing, and another something different (opted out approved), and a 3rd letter offers me to apply for Part B. Look at all the other people who have posted about their issues with SSA, and I am sure they too are grateful to have it.

frog, first let me apologize for 'making lite' of your situation. While I did not Post it to be sarcastic.... see my comic emoji..... and don't understand how it can be taken as disparaging, it is obvious that you did/do and that is what counts. Sorry.

Archived