Chapala.com Webboard

Gel nails refill price up

Today I paid $300p for a gel nail refill at the place I have been going to for many years...that is 100% increase since last April.

I paid $200 last season.............           I need to find out what other places are charging in comparison and may change....I do not object to an increase, that is reasonable,  but that much? 

Seems a bit high and although the job was done as well as up north, that makes it the SAME price as Ontario.........which is strange.  

7 minutes ago, Mrs. Rupert said:

Surprised that a gel refill is only $21.00 Canadian in Ontario.  Really surprised.

In my city a gel refill is $20.00 cash....and has been for years..........  My issue is not about the Cnd. price...but the increase here............There are many prices for these services, but my concern is here.........

1 hour ago, Xena said:

If people continue having the service done despite prices doubling then why shouldn’t those providing the service continue charging double? Why work for half the money you could be earning? 

How is this conversation any different from the Taxi one where it did not sound like the Taxi driver’s had the same rights as the Gel Nails service providers?  

13 minutes ago, RickS said:

How is this conversation any different from the Taxi one where it did not sound like the Taxi driver’s had the same rights as the Gel Nails service providers?  

My comment in the taxi thread did not concern the taxi drivers but the immigrants not knowing or seeming to care how their presence here sometimes drives costs beyond the reach of the nationals. 

My child bride paid $280p in December... Not being an aficionado of the gell nail community, I found out that prices do vary as does the quality of service... So it seems that one finds a vendor who provides adequate service and one pays the price... If you don't get what you pay for, go elsewhere...

24 minutes ago, bmh said:

what is gel nail? What is it for? Maybe I should not ask since  have lived 72 years without it , I just should be happy to have saved all that money..

I'm glad you asked that question.  I'd like to know, too.  Alas, my appendages have never had the honor either.😶

I know the answer to this. I received a tutorial from a woman getting this done in the salon while I was there. It is your own nails covered in the gel which hardens into an acrylic like coating that protects your nails and does not chip. Hence the need for “fills” as your nail grows. She was having color changed for Christmas so she had it all removed. This was not an easy job. It was several layers and each required finger time in a light box to fix the layer. I stuffed my hands with their short, jagged nails in my pocket as I listened.

4 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Sounds like self mutilation to me!

Sounds like way more trouble and expense than it's worth, but hey...what do I know?  The last time I was in a beauty salon was at the age of 16.  Hate the smells and the chemicals used, and the process would be wasted on someone whose hands spend a lot of time in paint.😉

3 hours ago, bmh said:

I get my nails done once in a while which last less than a few days since I cannot bear wearing gloves and I love working with my hands.. Good to hear there s an option if you want perfect nails . 

That’s what the woman getting the gel job done said. Her manicures never remained unchipped longer than the end of that day. Plus, her nails broke very easily. The gel let her have longer, prettier nails. She was concerned about the chemicals though. Said after the holidays she would have it removed and not done again. It was a long and tedious process to watch. You have to REALLY want pretty nails to go through that regularly. 

Good to know the gel does not last that long either.. at least with the varnish it is easy and cheap. I will not try the gel no point getting onto things that do not last and require maintenance, I rather do other things with the time and the money.

3 hours ago, daisy2013 said:

Gel lasts very long time if not go  to another shop, something is not right.  Easy to put on and not expensive at all.

According to Senor Google, the nails need to be redone every 2-3 weeks depending on how fast your nails grow. The chemicals weaken and damage the nail bed. And 300 pesos seems like a lot of money to me, especially if you have it done every 3 weeks.

11 hours ago, Xena said:

I know the answer to this. I received a tutorial from a woman getting this done in the salon while I was there. It is your own nails covered in the gel which hardens into an acrylic like coating that protects your nails and does not chip. Hence the need for “fills” as your nail grows. She was having color changed for Christmas so she had it all removed. This was not an easy job. It was several layers and each required finger time in a light box to fix the layer. I stuffed my hands with their short, jagged nails in my pocket as I listened.

This does not sound like anything I have ever seen . I have been doing acrylics for many years. No problem removing polish. Now I have gel over it and the polish. Your whole hand goes in the light box for just several minutes. The best part is no waiting to dry. Just pay and leave.

9 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

This does not sound like anything I have ever seen . I have been doing acrylics for many years. No problem removing polish. Now I have gel over it and the polish. Your whole hand goes in the light box for just several minutes. The best part is no waiting to dry. Just pay and leave.

Can’t say since I have never seen the procedure done before and likely never will again. Something for people seeking less “expensive” options to consider. In addition to how much it costs might be a good idea to ask how the procedure is done. This may be difficult if the two people involved in the transaction speak different languages.  

Whew, didn't think that this topic would generate so much chatter.....even that certain others would NOT do it to their nails...totally off topic.    I have checked around...this is the new price locally, it can be more...maybe less, just wondering was all I was saying...I will probably continue at the salon while in Ajijic.....and being Canadian...the US conversion means nothing to me.

Adios...over and out!!!     

Archived