Chapala.com Webboard

Home remedy for dog fleas?

I know that this must have been gone over many times here but can;t seem to find a good result in Search. There is a lot of online suggestions with spraying apple cider vinegar and water. However I do not think that my dog will stand for that. Is there a better way without soaking her with a nasty smelling concoction? I know there is the Frontline solution and the pills but they are expensive and would like to stay away from the chemicals. Gracias

Depending on dog size and temperament you could get a flea comb and use it everyday until no more signs of fleas. You shake fleas off comb into a container with soapy water. You have to clean all bedding and fabric surfaces too. Yes, it is tedious. 

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I know that this must have been gone over many times here but can;t seem to find a good result in Search. There is a lot of online suggestions with spraying apple cider vinegar and water. However I do not think that my dog will stand for that. Is there a better way without soaking her with a nasty smelling concoction? I know there is the Frontline solution and the pills but they are expensive and would like to stay away from the chemicals. Gracias

So what's worse..... those pesky chemicals, or the (possible) flea allergy dermatitis many animals suffer from as little as ONE flea bite, the flea bites YOU will get, and the unavoidable tapeworms your dog will get from flea eggs deposited on its coat and ingested?

My Corgi  was seriously allergic to fleas. If I missed his flea drops by even a couple of days, he was scratching like a fiend and biting himself and causing hot spots. He was a little flea magnet. Then I bought a Kokoty Flea Repellent Pendent  I know an ultrasonic device makes no sense and that most Vets would tell me it couldn't work. I also know that my dog didn't have a flea attack after he got the pendant. And no hot spots. And we were both happy about that. They are available from Dra Berenice at Pet Place.

7 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

The Soresta collars work beautifully and are good for ticks too....a MUCH better alternative to oral drugs, including Bravecta! Unfortunately the Bravecta warning came to this forum a month late for my SweetPea, but the damage had already been done.

I will NEVER give an oral again!!!!!

So sorry for your loss. Does the Soresta collar work on dogs that already have fleas or is this just a prevention devise? Please tell if I can buy Lakeside and the approximate price. Gracias.

google it - lots of ideas, i.e. rosemary & lemon work to some extent -

Lemon Rosemary Flea Spray
  • Slice lemon into paper thin slices.
  • Remove leaves from rosemary and mince.
  • Place lemon and rosemary in a large bowl or jar and cover with hot water.
  • Let steep overnight.
  • Strain and put in a large spray bottle.

https://www.jcehrlich.com/fleas/top-8-flea-home-remedies/ 

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

And what is the next step in this process? My dog is a very skittish rescue and if it entails soaking her by spraying this would be difficult. Also, what is rosemary and mince and where would I get it here? 

Remove leaves from rosemary and mince = strip the leaves from the rosemary and chop fine i.e. mince

Rosemary can be found in grocery stores or a neighbors yard; 

I have put the concoction in a spray bottle and then sprayed the dogs. If your dog is skittish but likes to be groomed or petted I would put some on the brush or your hands and work it in; if your dog has long hair I would get it shaved then it is much easier to see/find the fleas and to treat.

My dog had fleas really badly one year- the flea collar didn't even work.

Fleas and ticks hate tea tree oil. I always mix a few drops in with her dog shampoo. Also a few drops in water in a spray bottle will keep future flea from wanting to attck your dog.

Now this sounds funny, but when my dog's fleas were really bad and I was at my wits end, I vacuumed my dog. I have a shop-vac- I just used the hose end and ran it back and forth across her, pressing down, as she has really dense fur. She actually seemed to enjoy it- I guess it felt like a good rub. And it eliminated the fleas. 

Most vets sell the Soresta collar, as does the animal shelter on the carretera. Pricey at 600p, but good for eight months. It's so effective I'm sure it would cause existing fleas to flee....like maybe to you! And if you do go the vacuum route, I would sure put something in the tank that would kill the fleas! Otherwise, you've just opened a flea hotel. Good luck!

Over the decades I have tried many, many natural flea treatments. None of them ever worked. I have had dogs and cats that suffered horribly while I tried these solutions and spent lots of money on “alternative” treatments. I am very happy for the people and pets for whom these things work. Anyone deciding to go that route should understand that what has worked so wonderfully for someone else may not work for you. On the other hand I have never had one of the products purchased from a vet fail to work. I also have never had a pet get sick or be harmed in any way from the products. 

I am on the Xena and Nathasha team... I have used almost every home made alternative that you can imagine.  Nothing worked.  Maybe it also depends on the pet.

She is still bringing in uninvited guests

I wish they hated chocolate

I investigated which one of the "real meds" has least harmful ingredients and came up with Frontline PLUS.....and occasionally use a flea comb + try to keep house and bedding clean.

It is a never ending struggle because in this climate fleas are everywhere, all year around.

6 hours ago, Natasha said:

Agree with Xena.  Fleas (and ticks) are NOT fun... especially here.  Do you take "real" meds for your own health conditions or do you rely on home-made alternatives?  Same goes for our pets.......

Yes, actually, I have always used home remedies for many of my own health issues and with as much success as what you call "real" meds (many of which are derived from extracts of plants anyway and then sold at exhorbitant prices by big pharma).

Archived