Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic taxis now 100 pesos to Chapala?

bdmowers

1 hour ago, bmh said:

The price of gasoline has nothing to do with tourists, the dollar being high has a lot to do with products that are imported--- prices are much worse where there are lots of tourists so we cannot complain too loud here.. try Quintana Roo...taxi prices go up all over the place including places where there are no tourists...gasoline prices have gone up so just to keep up the taxis have to raise their prices. 

Do you have any idea why the taxis are not metered at Lakeside...Interestingly in the town outside Chapala. IXU.....can, they have Tuk Tuk runing around for 10 pesos per person

Taxi rides in Mexico City are metered and much cheaper than here at Lake Chapala.  For a 100 pesos it seems like you can ride for an hour of course you didn't get very far in that hour.

It has been my experience in MX that taxi meters are usually seen in larger cities, not in other areas.  

On gasoline prices, I can't find the calendar year numbers, but Q3 2017 to Q3 2018 showed a 10.14% increase, nationally.  

The reason it is cheaper in Mexico is that there are lots of customers and the cabs do not go back to the station empty after each customers.. same reason why it is cheaper in San Cristobal de las Casas although cabs are not metered there.. If they have lots of customers the prices go down, they also have competition .. here there is no competition and few customers.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic about the general rise in prices.

I have noticed prices here tend to increase during "season".  Nothing new for those of us who have lived in resort towns.  For many years I lived in Key West and  Sarasota, and the prices in the grocery stores--major chains--would jump 10% from November through April.  However, if I would go to a non-tourist spot in Florida, like Arcadia (adjacent to Sarasota) the prices would be considerably lower for the same items, same grocery store chain.

Another thing that took me by surprise recently was  how high the prices were in the US.  I haven't been there in almost a year, and it was a real eye-opener to see how much the price of clothing, food, and sundry items had gone up.  

I assume it was due to the favorable stock market, it seems like when the stock market is high and consumers are "flush" with cash that vendors are eager to empty our pockets a bit faster.  

IMO and based on 50 yrs living here in Mx. The increase in the cost of the ride happens, of course, because of the shortage in GAS!         Is a usual thing in Mx if the shortage lasts more time, this will increase the price on EVERYTHING!... 

Archived