Chapala.com Webboard

Black House Pizza

CHILLIN

45 minutes ago, gringal said:

I'm not "bashing" anyone who feels they "need" this.  I will point out that none of the situations you named constitute true categories of "need".  They simply created greater convenience for you then, and you are using it now to create other conveniences. I just don't agree with confusing greater convenience with true "need".

The affluent have always been able to live more comfortably and with more conveniences than the poor. Compared to many who live here, we expats are affluent indeed. I can afford to buy one of these devices, but I doubt very much  that it will rise to the level of a "need" in my life.  Maybe a "want" at some point.  Who knows? Definitely not there yet.

However, we are far, far away from the need for a good pizza and a swift and simple way to get one delivered, so I suggest we abandon philosophy and get back on the topic.  Okay?😉

Gringal, if you do not want to be perceived as bashing people you might reconsider saying things like smartphones are an  “expensive TOY designed to fill the days of a person leading too boring a life otherwise” and implying that people with smartphones “think that owning the latest techie toy makes you smarter or better.” 

5 hours ago, gringal said:

Actually, I think you do know better and you're just pulling my chain.😎

As my long gone, Cockney Grandma would say "You Cheeky Bugger!" and wave her fist at me, smiling all the time. My Cockney Grandpa, who lived into his late 90's, had never tasted pizza until he was into his 70's - I don't think he was impressed. Interestingly, she would say bugger, which is quite a nasty word really (Sodomite), but considered "bloody" a swear word.

41 minutes ago, Xena said:

Gringal, if you do not want to be perceived as bashing people you might reconsider saying things like smartphones are an  “expensive TOY designed to fill the days of a person leading too boring a life otherwise” and implying that people with smartphones “think that owning the latest techie toy makes you smarter or better.” 

Thanks for the expected bashing over "bashing". I knew I could count on you.   I'll stand by my opinion, however, which is that people should be aware of whether they are dealing with their "needs" or their "wants" and should know the difference. I also said that I thought the poster in this case was not claiming to be smarter or better for having this device and was just pulling my chain.   So are you, I suspect.  😉

Archived