Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw TV not working


Recommended Posts

I've been away for 3 weeks. When I returned Shaw TV was working fine for 2 days. This morning it isn't working. It says I need a refresh but you can't refresh as Shaw says that isn't available as maintenance is in progress. I have my own account. At first I could log in but now I can't. I've had Shaw for 9 years and have never seen this before. Is anyone else having this problem?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried live chat with shaw and they said "that's strange. We usually only receive this message when services are used outside of canada. As a canadian telecommunication compagny, we mandated by federal law to provides services within the canadian borders." They went on to say that they need to send a technician to check my signal. I don't know what made them think I was outside Canada. Scary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was gone for many weeks and just returned. My Shaw receiver was screwed up.  The only way I was able to revive it was to disconnect "every" cable from the receiver and let it sit for an hour. Then, only plug the power cable in and let it boot up with nothing plugged into the box except the power cable. Then disconnect the power, and start plugging back in all the other cables and finally the power cable. My device then powered up correctly and has been up and running for several days now.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was away I unplugged all the connections to the receiver and repluged them in early Sunday morning and it worked but not now. I may retry using your instructions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you are on live chat with Shaw, they can see your IP address and they know you are in Mexico. You can get around this two ways: one, phone them instead; I use Skype, which scrambles the number (calling on TelMex will display the area code, although whether they look it up or not, who knows). Two: install and run a VPN while you are talking to them. Both TunnelBear and Windscribe are good options. You can pick a location in Canada. Then, turn it off after so you don't waste the bandwidth.

BTW, no problem refreshing my receiver just now at my.shawdirect.ca.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

When you are on live chat with Shaw, they can see your IP address and they know you are in Mexico. You can get around this two ways: one, phone them instead; I use Skype, which scrambles the number (calling on TelMex will display the area code, although whether they look it up or not, who knows). Two: install and run a VPN while you are talking to them. Both TunnelBear and Windscribe are good options. You can pick a location in Canada. Then, turn it off after so you don't waste the bandwidth.

BTW, no problem refreshing my receiver just now at my.shawdirect.ca.

I have live chatted with Shaw a number of times without a problem. I thought they could probably see my IP address so I told them I was contacting them from Mexico as my tenant in BC was having problems with my Shaw there.

The thing is the message (to refresh) came up on the TV as soon as I turned it on-before I had live chatted with them.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not familiar with any of those things. I assume you would use Skype when using a phone. Would you use TunnelBear and Windscribe for live chat?

I have been looking at tunnelbear. Where do you install it to?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mexbound said:

I was gone for many weeks and just returned. My Shaw receiver was screwed up.  The only way I was able to revive it was to disconnect "every" cable from the receiver and let it sit for an hour. Then, only plug the power cable in and let it boot up with nothing plugged into the box except the power cable. Then disconnect the power, and start plugging back in all the other cables and finally the power cable. My device then powered up correctly and has been up and running for several days now.

 

 

 

mexbound that did not work for me. I am going to have to get help but they won't be working today.

I downloaded Tunnel bear but I can't figure out how to use it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Double click on it to install it, then follow the instructions when it starts. It will show you a map with Mexico, US, and Canada. Click on Canada. When it connects, your computer will be "in" Canada.

Unplugging the Shaw box for about two minutes is more than enough to drain the electricity on the motherboard, and reset it. Unplugging any other cable is not going to do anything.

You must refresh on the Website, not via the TV.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Double click on it to install it, then follow the instructions when it starts. It will show you a map with Mexico, US, and Canada. Click on Canada. When it connects, your computer will be "in" Canada.

Unplugging the Shaw box for about two minutes is more than enough to drain the electricity on the motherboard, and reset it. Unplugging any other cable is not going to do anything.

You must refresh on the Website, not via the TV.

I've done that so I am in Canada but it is the next step that puzzles me. Something isn't working right in my head lately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So lying in bed last night I think I finally figured out how to use Tunnelbear-you just log in and turn it on, pick Canada and then proceed to do what ever you want to do and your IP will be hidden. None of the videos or people explained that last step as I guess it was obvious to them.  (but would not the Tunnel bear screen be in your way?) But not to worry. Un Milagro when I turned on my TV this morning-my Shaw is working fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You did figure it out. And you can shrink down the TunnelBear screen once you connect, to an icon in the taskbar. They didn't provide that crucial last step in their instructions? I find that all too often... the designers/writers assume too much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shrink the screen-of course. Thanks Computer Guy. They assume we are all on the same wave length but I am an old fart who isn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly. If you don't test your product with uninformed, inexperienced users, you are asking for trouble. And many companies just ignore this aspect of customer service, saving money and chipping away at their reputation. The bigger the company, the worse the service. Tech example: Samsung TV won't tell me if my set is Android based, or proprietary. Unless I give them a serial number and a proof of purchase that I bought in the U.S.

Vizio, who makes my soundbar, is a company on the rise and looking for a bigger share, so at the moment, they answered my question just like that -- about my Samsung TV.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Samsung TV won't tell me if my set is Android based, or proprietary. 

My Samsung TV is proprietary which limits the apps that you can use. Luckily for me they have the ones I use.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the topic, but worth answering: I found that out, no thanks to Samsung... for me and others it means we cannot use VPN services... which in turn means while I/you can get Mexican Netflix via the Smart apps, we will not be able to get U.S. Netflix without a different device attached. Which is a complete waste of time and money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Which is a complete waste of time and money.

Yes and no for me. 

Yes, the first app I found I could not load was a vpn but then I realized that only about 5 to 10 percent of my shows are US only. For those I have a cable from a PC.  For the picture quality and price I paid, I don't think I would do different. 

Side note. For those who use vpn on their router will have access to Netflix US. Then you will have to play the game of Netflix blocking you. HAHAHA

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is so true that most people will barely use a VPN subscription. Some find it easier when checking out WalMart or BestBuy US online. And considering the massive list of shows and movies that Amazon Mexico has, with no Spanish, strictly English interface, I'd be hard-pressed to recommend the US version.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would never have occurred to me that a proprietary "app" system would not allow certain apps. I should have known better, but it's my first Smart TV. It wouldn't have changed my purchase, however, because I got a price that was over $4,000p off during Buen Fin at WalMart.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...