Chapala.com Webboard

Found - Calico Cat

8 or 9 or 10 mos. old, I'm thinking. Well fed, clean, very loving female, probably fixed. No collar, but really likes people. Picked up near the carretera in Ajijic by a teenager who perhaps should have known better... then left town, so I have no idea what neighbourhood.

Would be happy to contact anyone who might be missing same.

Edit: Discovered on New Year's Night: definitely not fixed. Oh, the howling...

47 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Kittens are nowhere near unwanted round here, dawgs.  I always find homes for them, it's easy, unless they're black with one eye and three legs.

If it's so easy, why are there hundreds of strays and animal shelter cats just around here? No, the purpose of spaying is to stop over-population. Something we might look at with a littler more interest on this very board...

2 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Photo might help. Hopefully someone is looking for this kitty.

A calico cat is a calico cat. If dozens of people respond... no, let's say more than one person... I will post a photo.

1 hour ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Because it isn't easy for "them."  Finding homes is an impulse market.  You don't ask people if they want a cat.  You show it to them.  Mine come with a half-pound of Wiskers.  Plus they are usually very good looking.

That actually makes no sense at all.

23 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

A calico cat is a calico cat. If dozens of people respond... no, let's say more than one person... I will post a photo.

Oh come on CG......   Is it black and dark orange and white;  greyish and paler orange and white; gray and peach and white (recessive gene coloring); long haired;  short haired;  distinguishing marks (eg blaze right down middle of the nose on face)? Or is it what some British people call a calico that we Canadians and Americans usually call a tortoiseshell (black/ orange but NO white; grey/peach -- no white)?

Kitty needs all the help SHE can get so go ahead, be a devil, and post a pic!  👿

25 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

That actually makes no sense at all.

Agree CG .  Johnny, unlike dogs who love anyone anywhere anytime, a  cat has to like the person or the adoption is a total failure.  How many cats you have shoved in someone's face have actually lasted with them?

Appreciate you trying to do good, and no doubt to a point you are, but don't trash the efforts of shelters and spay/neuter groups unless you've walked the walk.... for several years.

3 hours ago, Natasha said:

Oh come on CG......   Is it black and dark orange and white;  greyish and paler orange and white; gray and peach and white (recessive gene coloring); long haired;  short haired;  distinguishing marks (eg blaze right down middle of the nose on face)? Or is it what some British people call a calico that we Canadians and Americans usually call a tortoiseshell (black/ orange but NO white; grey/peach -- no white)?

Kitty needs all the help SHE can get so go ahead, be a devil, and post a pic!  👿

Oh, come on, Natash....... how many people have reported they lost a calico cat? It makes no difference. Jeezuz, if someone would just respond who lost a cat, I wouldn't need to listen to all this caterwauling. No good deed, that's for sure.

8 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Back in the day, I used to judge Household Pet Cat shows. Trust me, Natasha is absolutely right. Many cats are called 'calico' and don't look alike at all. Besides, someone might not know that a friend's cat is missing but would recognize a photo and give them a call.

22 hours ago, jonnyintrouble said:

And I doubt, here in Jalisco's murder capital, anyone gives a rat's ### what I do with my kittens. 

Well, I for one care a lot  if in fact your kittens end up back on the streets or worse because they did not like the people you gave them to!  And that's got nothing whatsoever to do with your so-called "cultural holding bin".

Okay, wait. So you're saying that now we have to vet the people who want to get a cat or save a kitten, in case they turn out to be "not liked by the cat"? Okay then.

Personally, I'd be more worried about owners who could care less and don't bother to get their cats spayed/neutered, and when the birth happens, they just toss the kittens in a field in Ajijic.

Here's my cat story: I haven't had one in years, after having had many. I went to the Animal Shelter in Riberas. From one cage, I chose a friendly 7 month old female kitten, and a 2 1/2 year old male, known for his stand-off-ishness. These two slept together, played together, did everything together... except that the male would rarely come out of hiding from behind the couch. Oh, I could reach back there and stroke him, get him to take Temptations out of my hand... but he would only sneak out when he thought I wasn't watching.

He learned how to use the kitty door by watching the kitten, whom I had trained. I didn't know this, and the very first time he went outside in my protected yard, the gardener arrived and scared the fur out of him... and he took off. That was after four weeks. Pretty sure he liked me, though. We couldn't find him anywhere.

Now I have been "gifted" this female calico, and she is a friendly, happy girl, who after a week has learned how to get along with, and even play with, the other kitten. But I thought it worth everyone's while to do some checking and see if anyone had lost a female calico cat. Well, guess what? Last night she went into heat, and tomorrow morning she is going to be spayed. I figure by now, she is my cat, but fixed or not, if an owner turns up, I'm happy to give her back.

I had a half bobcat one time.  She wouldn't bother with mice or rats but loved birds and snakes.  One time she dragged up a 6 foot snake to feed her kittens.  Half her kittens usually came up bobtailed. She was also mean and dogs didn't mess with her.

CG said "... Okay, wait. So you're saying that now we have to vet the people who want to get a cat or save a kitten, in case they turn out to be "not liked by the cat"?.....

And then he said "... Now I have been "gifted" this female calico, and she is a friendly, happy girl, ..."

Dear CG --    you have a cat door.  She could have left if she wanted to.  But she did not, and she has immediately adjusted into your home.  And you STILL don't believe that the cat has to like YOU???

Sure you do.... you have the evidence at hand!  But believe me, especially with hormones surging in anticipation of her current  heat situation,  she would NOT have stayed with you if she didn't like you.... she'd have been off  being the slutty little girl that all cats become when nature prevails!

Thank you SO much for taking this girl into your home and your life.  Your kitten and Callie thank you...ENJOY!!

Cat door was blocked with a heavy floor fan. She had never used the cat door before. Somehow she managed to make a two inch space between the fan and the door and squeeze through. Now, it's quite possible that she used a cat door in the place she was reared. But it is kind of a mystery how she managed, when the cat that knows how to use the door couldn't get through. It is, however, well known that a cat in heat will do anything to scratch that itch.

but let's back up. I never said anything about cats not liking people. You're making stuff up to fit your argument. Obviously the cat likes me and I like her or I wouldn't be going through this. You do know that fixing a cat in heat does not turn off the cycle... she has probably four more days left of wailing and rubbing everything in sight.

But let's look at your argument: if the cat doesn't like the owner, sure, it might run away. But cats are not stupid. they will stay where food and warmth is. Your suggestion was we should make sure the cat likes the new owner first. Screw that. I went to the Shelter and got two cats: one liked me, one was shy and had been for 2.5 years. They were both saved from a life of living in jail.

And I'll tell you something else. That shy cat hid for four weeks behind the couch. I certainly didn't want that. Who wants a cat that doesn't want to be a cat? But would I have taken her back to the Shelter? Of course not.

On 1/1/2019 at 3:59 PM, Natasha said:

Agree CG .  Johnny, unlike dogs who love anyone anywhere anytime, a  cat has to like the person or the adoption is a total failure.  How many cats you have shoved in someone's face have actually lasted with them?

Appreciate you trying to do good, and no doubt to a point you are, but don't trash the efforts of shelters and spay/neuter groups unless you've walked the walk.... for several years.

That's called anthropomorphism, Natasha. You have no idea how a cat thinks or feels because you're not a cat. Domestic animals like being fed and having a safe, warm, dry place to hang out. If you provide that, and don't kick them around or otherwise abuse them, they "like" you. 

Archived