Chapala.com Webboard

No electricity in Riberas...

Ferret

Having lived in lower Riberas below Mirasol for 7 years I can tell you that yesterday was, of course, Sunday, they aren't going to do zip on a Sunday, next, Riberas is the red headed step child of the N shore, ever notice the folks up on Gobblers Knob (upper Chula Vista) always have power, only once in 7 years did I ever see them go dark - you have to ask why? Two or three words come to mind, incompetence, corruption, no interest in customer service for starters. I personally rewired/connected the incoming power to my casita from the pole after they tied it to a tree - in front of the jeffe and when I hollered at him he smiled and got into his pickup and drove away.

I've documented a number of times the equipment burned out over that period in Riberas as opposed to my tenure NOB the last 4.5 years when 0 (zero) has burned out and only on two occasions for less than an hour has power failed. Two nights ago we had the most vicious lightning storm I've ever seen, over 252 cloud to ground strikes in 10 minutes - never a flicker of power or a surge. And to rub a bit of salt into the wound, I receive power from a Co-op at about $0.11/$0.12 per KWH (it goes DOWN if I use more, what a concept).

I realize that doesn't fix your problems or make you feel any better, I'd suggest Distillers Tequila available at Walmart for around 1100 pesos (costs $35 up here?)

PS: Happy New Year

You should know giltner68 that they have done a lot of work in Riberas over the last three months. They have been replacing poles with very tall, sturdy, concrete ones. It's been a pain but will be worth it... I hope.

If these guys had to work for any electrical company in Canada, they would be working in shifts 24/7 and they'd be working in the rain, in the snow, in the hail, in the freezing rain and in the wind. They are pampered wusses here.

Happy New Year.

27 minutes ago, Ferret said:

You should know giltner68 that they have done a lot of work in Riberas over the last three months. They have been replacing poles with very tall, sturdy, concrete ones. It's been a pain but will be worth it... I hope.

If these guys had to work for any electrical company in Canada, they would be working in shifts 24/7 and they'd be working in the rain, in the snow, in the hail, in the freezing rain and in the wind. They are pampered wusses here.

Happy New Year.

How quickly you forget..this is what "paradise " is like, warts and all

Lakeside, it wasn't the warts I had a problem with, I expected that, but having to pay through all the orifices was the pain when it was obvious they not only didn't care, but were proud to do stupid things in the name of providing "service". I've never minded paying for service wherever I go and whatever I do, but the CFE? - that was the ultimate affront to my sensibilities.

45 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

Lakeside, it wasn't the warts I had a problem with, I expected that, but having to pay through all the orifices was the pain when it was obvious they not only didn't care, but were proud to do stupid things in the name of providing "service". I've never minded paying for service wherever I go and whatever I do, but the CFE? - that was the ultimate affront to my sensibilities.

You have not lived here in almost five years. Why still complaining about life down here instead of simply enjoying where you now are? 

It's always amazing to read posts from people who have been gone for years from this area still taking the time to post a fault find.  I remember living in the San Francisco Bay Area when power outages were measured in days, not hours. 

Of course it would be better if everything worked all the time, but all in all, it's not that bad.  And yes, a generator could be a sensible investment for those in outage-prone places.

People here, knowing how iffy the power situation can be, also do some really dumb things: such as maintaining not only huge, double door refrigerators but also FREEZERS.  This is in an area where the nearest grocery source is usually no more than a couple of blocks away. I guess habits are just hard to break. (I had one of those fridge-hogs for a time NOB, where you forgot when (or why) you bought some of the stuff in the freezer. ) What happens here is sometimes a source of some good chuckles.😉

Yeah, but I want a push button start generator and one that uses propane not gasoline. It also has to have an inverter and be easy to move. Not too picky eh? In the meantime, I have three rechargeable led lights, two rechargeable fans, a rechargeable battery pack and a small propane heater. So far, so good.

A chest freezer was the best investment we made on the coast. The cold air doesn't fall out when you open the lid (as opposed to a door).  It kept things frozen solid for DAYS when the power was out. After 48 hours, we would just fire up the generator (2,000 watt Honda inverter) and plug it in for a couple of hours and it was ready to go another 48 hours.

You know the funniest thing about no power - people claim they can't make coffee or cook; duh use a match.  I always keep a supply of ground coffee in the freezer for those times when we can't use the electrics.

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Yeah, but I want a push button start generator and one that uses propane not gasoline. It also has to have an inverter and be easy to move. Not too picky eh? In the meantime, I have three rechargeable led lights, two rechargeable fans, a rechargeable battery pack and a small propane heater. So far, so good.

Ferret a neighbor got one of these dual fuel generators off mercado libre and wired it in themselves ;  they say it is amazingly quiet too.

https://wenproducts.com/collections/dual-fuel-generators

Well you have to love CFE worded logo that is written on all of their equipment and reads "CFE un empresa de clase mundial"......

My neighbor is a CFE employee. It never fails, he leaves for work at around 7:50 am and returns home with his CFE pickup at around 8:30 am and as fare as I can tell then spends most of the day home...

I am still missing 2 CFE meters. Ordered them in August and according to my CFE neighbor its OK to have them bridged since I have a contract for both so its their responsibility (will rent both units with electricity included...)

Thanks WideSky but those are too big and are not inverters. With an inverter, you can plug in a TV or a computer. Still it gives me hope and I will continue to search. No coffee? Couldn't live without. Yes, a  small propane bbq torch will light the stove when the electronic ignition is non functional. Boil the water and use my French Press back up. All things are possible... except laundry and there are laundromats everywhere. Even a large pot of water boiled on the stove and added to a bucket of (tinaco) water is enough to get clean.

This...

https://generatorgrid.com/

Led me to this...

https://generatorgrid.com/reviews/champion-3400w-dual-fuel/

Led me to this...

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3400-Watt-Portable-Inverter-Generator/dp/B01FAWMMEY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?creativeASIN=B01FAWMMEY&imprToken=QeDiAtVQvtmEEUj38PWqjg&slotNum=5&ie=UTF8&qid=1515107223&sr=8-2&keywords=champion+3400&linkCode=w61&tag=generatorgrid-20&linkId=bcf0a2a3751a3c828f976d809db59d5c

Actually too big for my needs but I better consider resale value. I would imagine that I would also need to get an adapter for Mexican propane tanks but I know those exist.    I just put this generator on my Amazon wish list.                                     

22 minutes ago, Ferret said:

This...

https://generatorgrid.com/

Led me to this...

https://generatorgrid.com/reviews/champion-3400w-dual-fuel/

Led me to this...

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3400-Watt-Portable-Inverter-Generator/dp/B01FAWMMEY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?creativeASIN=B01FAWMMEY&imprToken=QeDiAtVQvtmEEUj38PWqjg&slotNum=5&ie=UTF8&qid=1515107223&sr=8-2&keywords=champion+3400&linkCode=w61&tag=generatorgrid-20&linkId=bcf0a2a3751a3c828f976d809db59d5c

Actually too big for my needs but I better consider resale value. I would imagine that I would also need to get an adapter for Mexican propane tanks but I know those exist.    I just put this generator on my Amazon wish list.                                     

How about one of these?

https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/power-systems/electric-power-generation/diesel-generator-sets.html

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Archived