Chapala.com Webboard

Accident in Riberas

daisy2013

This morning while driving to Chapala, a white SUV was driving very fast and flew by us.  A short while later as we arrived near the Pemex we saw that it had hit another SUV.   It looked like the blue SUV was turning left probably from Pemex and the white SUV hit him broadside.   To be in such a hurry and this horrible accident happened.  

I hope no one was hurt, but as someone who lives nearby, I'm not surprised that there was an accident at this spot.  Because the OXXO and Pemex are on opposite corners of the carretera and San Juan, and they have paved their parking lots and the street with no distinction between road and parking lots, people head into the two places of businesses and treat the street between like an extension of their lots.  In addition, although we love the paved street and paved lateral, it means that service station and OXXO  traffic is always turning, backing in and out, and generally using the whole area like a giant parking lot without lines.  Add people waiting at the 'bus stop' in the area, and it's a bit of a recipe for disaster if you add a driver who isn't watching carefully.     

Again, hopefully no one was hurt.   And if you drive in the area, keep your eyes carefully on the road and watch all around you.

I live closeby and I totally avoid that area. Extremely dangerous. When they put the speed bumps infront of 7-11 it was enforced then it was ignored and that is now another dangerous spot. 

Also cars for sale park ed on the west side of San Juan turns that portion into basically a blockage of traffic coming off of Hidalgo.

You're right, the whole area is an unmitigated mess. As with most infrastructure, completely ignored by planners/municipal officers. Cars from every direction, generally turning into the gas station or store but starting 200 feet away from the corner and then cutting across all that "extra" concrete streeting. Add that mechanic's place, with cars parked out as far as they can be parked, blocking everyone's view coming and going. Add people leaving the gas station without going to the corner, and you can't see around them, either. Add people coming in to the station while I am coming up my street to exit onto the highway, and they cross in front of me, or park in the middle of the street waiting to get into the gas lineup... add people not slowing for the speed bumps... and then add regular traffic, which in Riberas is now much more than it used to be.

The car dealer and the line of cars 'parked' on San Juan is a real problem, indeed.    Although I very much appreciated the paving of the road when the Pemex first came in (remember the huge canyons in the road previous to that?) I've started entering the carretera from San Jorge and risking the potholes outside the Presbyterian church, rather than deal with the bumper car game that is the San Juan /Pemex/ Oxxo turnoff.    Of course, there one has to weave between the cars parked willy-nilly outside the Bridge Club and Mom's.   

San Juan /Pemex/ Oxxo turnoff got a lot more fun with the huge taco truck that was trying to set up there permanently so you had to deal with pedestrians all over the place, too... that is other than in the middle of the turn-off where people appear to think that the middle of the street is the bus-stop going East with 4 or 5 cars trying to re-enter the Caretera from the gas station plaza area turning left and right in front of each other not to mention the cars from San Juan trying to get onto the Caretera. I did not pay attention to where people parked when Pemex turned their grassy section into an Evento, but was quite surprised to see the lawn covered with tables and chairs and people freezing to death wearing winter coats and waiting for their dinner to be served. But the nativity scene was nice. I did not like the laser light show or the disk jockey, but it was not my party.

The autos parked in front of the garage block the bus from seeing the people and the people from seeing the bus.  This whole area is a hazard to the people trying to board the bus.  The bus stops in front of the pemex and the people must dodge cars turning into the street as well as turning into the pemex.  Also cars leaving the pemex and street.  I have caught the bus there myself so I can understand why there are people in the middle of the street.

That doesn't make it right or even halfway intelligent. I used to think it was quaint: no set bus stops along most of the way; you just flag them down in places where everyone else seems to. But if the bus company paid half a peso to have line inspectors ride the wheels, maybe they'd put a proper stop or sign not in the middle of traffic. And surely the majority of car drivers don't expect people in the middle of the turnoff from the highway. I'm used to it; I'm also used to :() politicians, but that doesn't make it right. Or mean I like it.

Archived