Chapala.com Webboard

Solar hot water heaters

ea93105

I use Solaris for many years now and totally happy with it. One side note though with solar heaters, buy a bigger one then recommended. So if you need one for 2 people, buy one for 4 or 6 people for example. Otherwise you might run out of hot water now and then. When you have a bigger one you hardly ever run out of hot water.

And adding to what ednet94 said,  on cloudy days these units are not that effective. But should you have a way oversized one, even after several cloudy days, you will have hot water. And for me, living alone, the worst I have had was a day or so with only mildly warm water. And I wasn't going to activate the instant on hot water heater something I haven't activated for some 7 years now.

Yes, we will be getting a larger unit combined with a gas boiler because we want to soak in the tub every once in a while which takes a lot of hot water.

Those tanks must have excellent insulation to maintain the heat !

There is 2 inches (50mm) of solid insulation between the inner (working) tank and the exterior tank wall, plus the tank working temp is generally 20 to 30 F higher than a typical gas boiler set point, and the tubes (wet or dry style) are vacuum type so no heat lost there.....so between these 3 things, you get nice hot water first thing in the AM even after a cold night, if you've started with a fully heated tank the evening before.

Archived