Chapala.com Webboard

Lost Permanente

luvsdawgs

My friend lost or had stolen her wallet with her permanente and driver's licence. She would like to travel to the states in January. What does she need to do in order to replace her visa and how long does it take? She knows what she has to do for the licence and that can wait until she returns. Any info/help will be appreciated. BTW, beware of pickpockets, especially at this time of year.

Same thing happened to me. Go immediately to the immigration office in Chapala and report it. They are very helpful and will provide the paperwork to request a replacement. They can also issue a letter to allow your friend to travel in January as the replacement won't arrive by then. Good luck!

INM Local offices close from about Dec. 18 until about Jan. 8 every year for winter vacation. If they are leaving after the 8th. they will need to go there right on the 8th. prepared with a online form called replace lost Immigration Document and a report from the Ministero Publico where they report the RP card lost or stolen. Then INM will start the processing to get them another replacement card. This costs money. They can also issue them an exit and enter letter good for up to 60 days out of Mexico they will use to exit and again to enter Mexico which has to be stamped and dated by an INM official. Not that complicated.

Maybe not the answer to your predicament, but with your time constraint...a suggestion, in an emergency...assuming you have a copy of the perminate..tell the immigration guy at the airport your story, maybe he will fine you but fill in card..on return show a copy of the perminate to the immigration officer and say your wallet/card stolen in the US/CAD..this is what happened to a friend in similar circumstances..good luck

5 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Maybe not the answer to your predicament, but with your time constraint...a suggestion, in an emergency...assuming you have a copy of the perminate..tell the immigration guy at the airport your story, maybe he will fine you but fill in card..on return show a copy of the perminate to the immigration officer and say your wallet/card stolen in the US/CAD..this is what happened to a friend in similar circumstances..good luck

That will not work. You need the original card to get on an airplane when it is an international flight with an INM FMM form or the airlines will not let you board the plane. INM will not issue a  FMM with a copy of anyones resident card or a photo on a smart phone. You will miss your flight. My buddy tried and lost $350.00 in airline tickets. We went to our local INM office and he got on another international flight 4 days later by doing what I posted above. There is no other option when you lose your Resident Card/Visa.

15 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Terrible advice.  DO NOT FOLLOW.  At the very least, you will not be allowed to board the plane because the INM office cannot issue an FMM for the flight.  Worst case scenario: the INM officer issues an FMM as a TOURIST and the traveler loses their Residente Permanente status.  

@luvsdawgs  If your friend is under short time constraints I suggest she contact Spencer McMullen who posted elsewhere that he is back in his office today.  If she has time to spare, she can start process herself at INM in Chapala.  

This is a question not a suggestion. My Permanente which I got about March 2013 stays at home. Never do I take it with me when driving around lakeside including trips to Costco. The only time I do is when I am flying in our out of the country.

Yes I have my Jalisco drivers license and INAPAM card with me and I speak Spanish, with an accent of course.  Am I taking a big chance here by not taking my Permanente card with me while driving around lakeside including trips to and from Costco?

Request replacement and fill out all forms, go to hearing, get travel letter, travel and enjoy and come back and do fingerprints and get new card.

Archived