Chapala.com Webboard

Italian restaurant past Santa Clara

Sandrita

I think the OP is asking about Tony's Restaurant - between Santa Cruz and San Nicolas. It is just past the SIMAPA pumping station (on the Chapala-Mezcala Carretera) on the lake side and directly across from Mexico Rustico.  There is another new restaurant reopened in the old Eagle Restaurant building right on the Carretera in San Nicolas and Foccacia is further east just pas San Juan Tecomatlan.

I would advise that anyone going out to Foccaccia call before leaving or have a back up plan to eat at one of the other restaurants out that way. The last two times I attempted to eat out there they were closed on days they should be open. It was late summer so maybe they are more consistent now. 

I was pretty disappointed last trip. I've never been particularly fond of their pasta, but always loved their pizza. They totally ruined two different pizzas that time, with uncooked and odd toppings, getting everything wrong. A ton of toppings, yes, but that didn't make it good.

This from their Facebook Page ( https://www.facebook.com/focaccia.sanjuantecomatlan?lst=733067138%3A100018634594394%3A1546138071) posted on Dec 20th :

Próximo 20 de Enero de 2019 Focaccia San Juan Tecomatlan permanecerá cerrado. Gracias por su comprensión - Google translate:

Next January 20, 2019 Focaccia San Juan Tecomatlan will remain closed. Thanks for your understanding.

I was evidently wrong, as the cotext was, "Will remain closed", so Computer Guy was correct in saying, "that's hard to decipher".  I do think the owners might have stated their intention more clearly, as it could be interpreted as 'remaining thereafter' as in 'permanently'. instead of just for the one day.  A statement that they would be open, as usual, the following day, would have helped.

7 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

A statement that they would be open, as usual, the following day, would have helped.

I do not believe they speak English. Their signage inside the restaurant in attempted English is corroborating evidence. They do try hard to please.

I did suggest to my friends (Canadians) that they have Focaccia post their exact meaning, however think of the many meanings of English words such as  bare bodies, bear attack and the right to bear arms.

5 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

That is quite literally "will be closed permanently".

Hmmmm.  This from Cocinart's FB page. ".... permanecerá cerrado los días 24 y 25 de diciembre."

I know for a fact they were closed 12/24 and 12/25 and reopened on 12/26.  The owners speak and write English pretty well. 

When I run the phrase thru Google Translate it comes back "we will be closed on Dec. 24 and 25th" and the translation does not include "permanently."    When I check it at Spanish Dictionary site, the translation is, "we will remain closed on Dec. 24th and 25th"  again with no use of the English word, "permanently."

When I translate the word "permanecera" it says, "will remain."

Yes, I think that is the situation, and that the similarity to 'permanently', in English, is definitely confusing to us, but not to a natural Spanish speaker; particularly if he does not speak English & would not even consider the English word's meaning.

I am adding that to the list of new things I learned today.  ✍️

Yes, RV, cognates are words that sound similar in two languages; Spanish and English have many.  It allows me to sometimes fake my way through a conversation.  But be careful when trying to say you are "embarrassed" in Spanish by using what you think is a valid cognate.  😊🤰🤰

Focaccia is open,  they are NOT closing ...  ..A group of 8 people had lunch today at  Focaccia's  restaurant. 

Several  people had their great salads, a few had a pasta dish and one person who had the fajitas -  said it was very good.  

They are closed on Tuesdays..  and  this  one particular  day -  Sunday January 20th they will be closed , so they could attend a family event.

Their normal hours are:  12 noon - 8:30PM   Monday , Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and  Sunday 12 noon- 7:30PM        cell # 332 165 4396

5 hours ago, Jackie said:

Focaccia is open,  they are NOT closing ...  ..A group of 8 people had lunch today at  Focaccia's  restaurant. 

Several  people had their great salads, a few had a pasta dish and one person who had the fajitas -  said it was very good.  

They are closed on Tuesdays..  and  this  one particular  day -  Sunday January 20th they will be closed , so they could attend a family event.

Their normal hours are:  12 noon - 8:30PM   Monday , Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and  Sunday 12 noon- 7:30PM        cell # 332 165 4396

Hi Jackie....    I was with the other group of 7 guys having lunch today and all of us also enjoyed our lunch... plus lots of takeout.

Definitely NOT closing and definitely great !

Foccacia .jpg

1 hour ago, Al Berca said:

And definitely inconsistent.

The inconsistency must be something relatively new. I have been going out there for at least eight years and the food was always excellent. Have not been out there in seven months or so because the  last two times I drove out there they were closed — and it was not Tuesday. It is only recently I am seeing people writing that they have been disappointed in the food. I hope it is something temporary. 

They have, for years, had chronic medical issues with a child, which often caused unscheduled closures due to medical appointments or emergencies.  I hope that situation has improved & wish them well.

5 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

They have, for years, had chronic medical issues with a child, which often caused unscheduled closures due to medical appointments or emergencies.  I hope that situation has improved & wish them well.

That boy is now an adolescent and thankfully his issues long resolved. 

Archived