Chapala.com Webboard

Native plants and trees book

dennis clark

If there is one, I don't know about it! I think one of the local garden clubs used to have a list, so maybe someone will post that.

We have a mix here of tropical, subtropical, plus plants and trees imported from colder climes. The only book I have found useful is Ornamental Plants and Flowers of Tropical Mexico by Linda Abbott Trapp. I have no idea if this is still in print. If you have time to take photos of plants and trees you are wondering about, and post online, people could identify them for you. And that would be educational for all of us!

I have not seen any book of native plants from here, It would be a great thng to have  but I have not had any luck with that.. Many plants in Ajijic and area are imported, go hiking in the mountains and you will have a better idea of what is native , the beauty here is that the climate is pretty temperate and many plants can adapt.. I would love to see a book on native plants so is you find one, please post the info.

Something weird about that PDF: Exactly four photos and a ton of reference text. So I did a little digging. If you go to the main page: http://floradejalisco.cucba.udg.mx/

... you will see a number of PDFs. Looks like each one covers an individual phylum.

Meet Flora Mexicana by Walter Pesman. A fascinating read because he describes local uses of many of the plants and well done illustrations. Bouganvillas originated from Brazil, for example. The trouble is that it is very old - 1962. I tried to get the Vallarta Botanical Gardens to republish it, its copyright has expired, and if you read Pesman's forward, it would appear that he would have been very much in favor of this. You would have to buy a "sacrificial" copy, cut off the spine with a band saw, and then send to a professional book scanner. Then it could be converted to digital and/or reprinted. It is getting to be a rare book.

https://www.amazon.com/Meet-flora-mexicana-recognize-frequently/dp/B0006AXZYC

Abebooks probably also has it.

I also remember that in the pre-conquest Mexico City there was a world class botanical garden. It's lush growth was credited by the planting of a slave's ear before the plant went in! The cover is a real joy, I have always planned to paint it as an outdoor true fresco panel.

10 hours ago, dennis clark said:

Looking for a book on the local plants and trees of the area.

You indicate your interest is in the natives.  Most plants in gardens here are non-native.  Of the flowering trees only one is native to this area, the plumeria.  The nonnatives (most notably the bugambilea and jacaranda) are from south Mexico and South America.  Many of the fruiting trees are native, like the aguacate, mango, pecan, guayaba.  Obviously, the citruses are not native.  Very few of the flowering shrubs are native.  There are many books on the native plants of Mexico but none just for this area that I know of.

Here is an all-Mexico book:   Ornamental Plants and Flowers of Tropical Mexico by Linda Trapp

4 hours ago, bmh said:

Linda Trapp+s book is about any tropical plants not the Mexican ones.

Thanks for the clarification, bmh.

Archived