Chapala.com Webboard

Trash trucks taking all the recycled material

dixonge

Just watched the main trash truck taking all of the recycled plastic and glass, which is sitting in separate containers, and dump it all in the back of the compactor truck. All the way down the street. I yelled at them from my window but they couldn't hear me over the truck noise.

So basically, if you want to recycle, either wait until after the trash truck goes by before you put your recycle bin out, or go stand on the curb when the trash truck comes by to police them.

🤨

On the highway in West Ajijic where the military checkpoint used to be. Hours 9 'til 2 and I believe Monday to Friday (closed holidays).

imho, it would be prudent to have the guard make a note of where you are driving from. That may give an indication of the locations where the next recycling truck service should be rolled out next. Personally, I don't mind making the trip because it would be only once every couple of weeks for me. I too cringe when the compacter throws my recycling bag into the truck. The rickety old truck that used to pick up the garbage recycled into the appropriate hanging bags immediately. Not anymore.

A bunch of people driving individual cars to the recycling center probably does more environmental damage than the recyclables.  Also the folks are probably still separating them at the dump.

I would suggest one set day per week for picking up recyclables.  That should be plenty.

Trust me. They are not separating anything after it's been compacted and mixed with all the other DIRTY garbage. I would also suggest that one day a week for recyclables is plenty AND have that day different than the days for regular garbage pick up.

I asked a friend today who lives in 6 Corners and he said recyclable day is Monday and Friday only.  There is a separate truck that picks up on those days.  If you put it out with regular garbage, even if separate, it will go into the regular garbage truck.

UPDATE this morning (Friday).  Heard the bell of the regular trash truck (we had no trash outside for pickup).  Waited a few minutes until they were far down the street, then we put out our recyclables and sure enough within 20 minutes, along came the Red Truck!  

That happens on Ocampo sometimes not on our street, the red truck sometimes shows upon saturday and sometimes not...if we put recycled garbage out on the days of the regular truck they pick it up.We are rght off Ocampo so obviously things vary accoring to streetor area or who knows.

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to suss out the schedule here. So far this week - no recycle truck visits. We finally pull the recycle bin back inside in the afternoon. Maybe today is the day, maybe not.

At least the trash guys aren't stealing the recycling now. Possibly due to large letters on container explicitly stating what is and is not inside. lol

the company doing the trash pickup got a (wink wink) sweetheart deal with the last admin. The current admin is trying to get out of the contract. Therefore, the garbage truck guys have no intention to support the village recycling efforts. Maybe that answers some of the problems?

6 hours ago, HarryB said:

the company doing the trash pickup got a (wink wink) sweetheart deal with the last admin. The current admin is trying to get out of the contract. Therefore, the garbage truck guys have no intention to support the village recycling efforts. Maybe that answers some of the problems?

Opportunity for a local recyclables entrepreneur to make some money.

Archived