Chapala.com Webboard

Firefox Problem

Alfa

1 hour ago, bonbon said:

How can I get rid of that app/program. I don't need this in my PC. 🤬

P.S. Yes, it's a good question, Mat.

You may or may not need it.  I know Chrome has an option to start a background app.  I do not know about Firefox because I only had it for a couple of days and got rid of it.

1 hour ago, mattoleriver said:

Restarting the PC seems a little extreme. Is there no access to a task manager where Firefox (only) could be stopped and then restarted?

Restarting is just the easiest way to clean this up. In a way it shows the importance of periodically restarting your PC.  It helps to clean things up. I only use laptops and I shut them down every day.

There may be a entry in the task manager. I don't know. The problem is the entry may not be call Firefox or there may be more than one entry. You may restart the wrong thing. Also, you do not know if you are suppose to restart or stop the entry.

I restart my PC every day. Even with this, I get this problem with Firefox every second day. I thought it was because the lines were too busy during Xmas.

Don't laugh if my assumption is wrong. . .  I don't know much about technical stuff.

At least now I feel better knowing that there's nothing wrong with my PC.

Thank you so much!!!😀

1 hour ago, bonbon said:

I restart my PC every day. Even with this, I get this problem with Firefox every second day. I thought it was because the lines were too busy during Xmas.

Don't laugh if my assumption is wrong. . .  I don't know much about technical stuff.

Thank you so much!!!😀

That was my best guess.  It is hard without a hands-on review.

1 hour ago, bonbon said:

Thank you so much!!!😀

I just remembered.  Have you updated Firefox? There should be an option on the settings.

Oh my! I have never, never updated Firefox. It just changed once without me doing anything. I know because I still have the old version on my desk top and I did not put it there.😀

If the problem continues after the holidays, I will try to learn how to update it.

I snooped around and, in fact, there is a new Firefox called Quantum, which offers faster and easier browsing.

I'm not sure the problem I experience has to do with the new version. It seems that what you suggested about the background service is the cause.

I'll sleep on it.

Good night!

If you’ve just closed all your Firefox windows and quickly tried to open a new one, you may see this message. This is because Firefox is still running in the background, doing housekeeping tasks and saving your data before quitting completely. If you wait a few seconds and try launching Firefox again, you may find that it opens properly.

If waiting a few seconds didn’t help, then Firefox has failed to quit properly. While all Firefox windows may be closed, Firefox itself is still running in the background. It may be frozen and using no system resources or it may be chewing up your available CPU time. Luckily, ending Firefox in the Task Manager is simple.

First, open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Escape. You can also right-click your taskbar and select Task Manager. Firefox won’t appear in the list of running applications because this list only shows applications with open windows. No problem – just click the Processes tab. Once you’ve located firefox.exe, select it and click the End Process button.

BTW, Quantum is simply the code name for the latest updated Firefox.

Wow - what a twisted, complex world iOS and windows owners have to go through. And they make you pay for this infuriating experience as well! I have been running Linux Mint and Firefox for about a year now, it has never crashed or misbehaved, not even once. Now I have to upgrade my graphics card to play some faster FPS linux games from Steam. They have the Talos Principle, Gold edition, on for 50% off.

18 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Wow - what a twisted, complex world iOS and windows owners have to go through. And they make you pay for this infuriating experience as well! I have been running Linux Mint and Firefox for about a year now, it has never crashed or misbehaved, not even once. Now I have to upgrade my graphics card to play some faster FPS linux games from Steam. They have the Talos Principle, Gold edition, on for 50% off.

What does this have to do with the OP? Nothing.

10 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

If you’ve just closed all your Firefox windows and quickly tried to open a new one, you may see this message. This is because Firefox is still running in the background, doing housekeeping tasks and saving your data before quitting completely. If you wait a few seconds and try launching Firefox again, you may find that it opens properly.

If waiting a few seconds didn’t help, then Firefox has failed to quit properly. While all Firefox windows may be closed, Firefox itself is still running in the background. It may be frozen and using no system resources or it may be chewing up your available CPU time. Luckily, ending Firefox in the Task Manager is simple.

First, open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Escape. You can also right-click your taskbar and select Task Manager. Firefox won’t appear in the list of running applications because this list only shows applications with open windows. No problem – just click the Processes tab. Once you’ve located firefox.exe, select it and click the End Process button.

BTW, Quantum is simply the code name for the latest updated Firefox.

Bingo! That's it? I'll try this. Thank you!

This problem just happened this last week. Am I wrong to believe that Firefox is lazy or too busy with the holidays with too much work? 😀

22 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

It has everything to do with. Why drive around in a tired old clunker, spending ever increasing monies to fix or update it, when you can get a shiny, new, super reliable car for free. The goal is get onto the internet with a firefox which works.

So how many on this chat board have you converted this week, month, year...

I am not trying to convert anybody - just stating the obvious. I don't have enough time to be a campaigner, have helped a couple neighbors, and a retiring professor from Missouri converting his old iMac laptop,  and they are all very happy with the switch. The computer whiz Adrian has installed a lot of dual system startups lately. The black screen comes up when you boot and asks whether you want windows or mint.

16 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

just stating the obvious.

What is obvious is different people use different operating systems.  No system is the best.  Each has pros and cons.

Also, what is obvious is people get tried when someone constantly preaching about something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 1:29 PM, Tiny said:

After getting hard drive errors and messages to replace the hard drive for the last three years, I finally it's time to decided to ordered a new SSD drive.  HAHAHA

I just give new life to my 8 year old Dell laptop by installing a Samsung 500 gb SSD by cloning the old drive.  The only problem is the cloning software would not complete since there was a bad sector.  I ran the "chkdsk" program. That fix the bad sector and the cloning software completed. The cloning moved everything and took about the same time as a complete back-up. 

This Dell model does not have an access door for the drive so I removed about 15 screws (not knowing which ones that had to be removed) and pried opened the case. Luckily I had watched a video beforehand about replacing a drive for model.  I learned that there is a cable between the mother board and the keyboard so it recommend opening the cases is little as possible. I replaced the drive, closed the case and replaced the screws.  To my surprise I didn't have any screws left over. hahaha

When I started the pc the first time, I got a system error. So I restarted safe mode to check it out.  Everything look ok.  Then I restarted normally and everything is working fine.  The pc is running quieter, faster, and cooler.

I used the following cloning software.

IMG_20190108_161815.thumb.jpg.d04ed1cb0467e3aa28302573d5daefbf.jpg

Archived