Chapala.com Webboard

Can I safely use my 1000 watt heater?

bdmowers

Can I safely use my 1000 watt heater?  I have a 50 amp breaker but I`m more concerned about the wiring.  I live in an older house.  Will the wiring handle the heater?  Thanks for your advice!

Can’t answer that without knowing about your wiring, connections etc. but....   do you use a hairdryer much?  Those things take up to 1750 watts and we ‘all’ seem to use them without thinking about our wiring. 

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

1,000 watts at 122 volts is a mere 8.2 amps.

As I said, I`m concerned about the wiring in the house, not the amperage.

And it gets just slightly better where I live  Angus, the average voltage in Mexico  is not 122 but 127.

By Mexican Federal regulations the official single phase electricity is rated at 127 volts. Yes 127.  However these regulations say 127 + or -10% yes, 10%, , so at 127 volts, that heater only uses 7.87amps

What is the voltage right now in my house? I only have volt meters connected to two of my three phases and right now one of them is about 128.6 going up and down very little   and the other  averages 126 75 volts. And that is at pretty steady level to. Why so steady? We got a new transformer 10 years ago, and so far only a few houses are connected it

All of that is very unimportant.t  I guess what I would do is get a voltage meter and plug it in to the same circuit you are going to use the small 1000 watt heater on. And see what the voltage does, or what a light bulb connected to the same circuit does when you connect the heater . Or in your case, have an electrician do it. I Think in the older houses they often used not 12 but 14  gauge  wires and at 127 volts, you can easily handle 1000 watts.

Mr. Google  reminded me that the very small 14 gauge wire is rated at up to 15 Amps and using the basic W=IE formula, the maximum wattage you may use with a 127 volt system on this 14 gauge wire is 127 volts times 15 amps or 1,905 watts (127x15=1,905 watts)  So a 1000 watt heater will most likely work great.

13 hours ago, johanson said:

And it gets just slightly better where I live  Angus, the average voltage in Mexico  is not 122 but 127.

By Mexican Federal regulations the official single phase electricity is rated at 127 volts. Yes 127.  However these regulations say 127 + or -10% yes, 10%, , so at 127 volts, that heater only uses 7.87amps

What is the voltage right now in my house? I only have volt meters connected to two of my three phases and right now one of them is about 128.6 going up and down very little   and the other  averages 126 75 volts. And that is at pretty steady level to. Why so steady? We got a new transformer 10 years ago, and so far only a few houses are connected it

All of that is very unimportant.t  I guess what I would do is get a voltage meter and plug it in to the same circuit you are going to use the small 1000 watt heater on. And see what the voltage does, or what a light bulb connected to the same circuit does when you connect the heater . Or in your case, have an electrician do it. I Think in the older houses they often used not 12 but 14  gauge  wires and at 127 volts, you can easily handle 1000 watts.

Mr. Google  reminded me that the very small 14 gauge wire is rated at up to 15 Amps and using the basic W=IE formula, the maximum wattage you may use with a 127 volt system on this 14 gauge wire is 127 volts times 15 amps or 1,905 watts (127x15=1,905 watts)  So a 1000 watt heater will most likely work great.

13 hours ago, johanson said:

Differs not only in Mexico but house by house. I often measure 137 volts on my ohm meter.

That is true and acceptable; remember that the  residential voltage in Mexico is 127 + or - 10% which I posted above and means it can vary from 114.3 volts to up to 139.7 Volts and still be acceptable. I further stated I was close to a new transformer installed some ten years ago and that not many homes are connected to it yet. That gives me a much better chance of getting 127 volts, especially because I have new wiring in my house.

And my voltage would drop if I used undersized wires and was drawing a lot of watts by plugging in an oversized electric heater.

I'm lucky my voltage is relatively steady 24/7 and has been since they installed the new transformer.

21 hours ago, johanson said:

Thanks for this explanation, Johanson.  By that measure, a 1500 watt device might be a bit iffy given the age of the wiring?

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, bdmowers said:

Can I safely use my 1000 watt heater?  I have a 50 amp breaker but I`m more concerned about the wiring.  I live in an older house.  Will the wiring handle the heater?  Thanks for your advice!

If you've used a toaster, a toaster oven, an electric kettle, a hair dryer, etc then you should be good to go.    You can always have an electrician check the wiring from the outlet, right back to your main panel, to be ultra-cautiously sure, however 99.9% no issue and no need to do that.      Does your main panel have fuses or breakers for each circuit?

On 12/24/2018 at 8:27 PM, johanson said:

Does distance from the main box factor into this?  One of my showers is about 50 feet from the main box.

We are using those cute wood stove looking "flame effect" heaters that has 2 power 750 & 750 switches and a thermostat. We use only one of the 750 switches and set the thermostat to go on when the room dips below 68.  We keep it on in the morning and evening in a room about 12 x 15 and the heater cycles on only about 50% of the time.  I don't think our CFE bill is going to shoot up by some huge amount. 

13 hours ago, Go Solar said:

If you've used a toaster, a toaster oven, an electric kettle, a hair dryer, etc then you should be good to go.    You can always have an electrician check the wiring from the outlet, right back to your main panel, to be ultra-cautiously sure, however 99.9% no issue and no need to do that.      Does your main panel have fuses or breakers for each circuit?

I don`t have any of those things, just lights mainly and a refrigerator.  I have breakers for each circuit, one 40 amps and the other 50.

9 hours ago, kimanjome said:

We are using those cute wood stove looking "flame effect" heaters that has 2 power 750 & 750 switches and a thermostat. We use only one of the 750 switches and set the thermostat to go on when the room dips below 68.  We keep it on in the morning and evening in a room about 12 x 15 and the heater cycles on only about 50% of the time.  I don't think our CFE bill is going to shoot up by some huge amount. 

Where did you buy your heaters?  Are you saying the heaters are only 750 watts?  What is a 2 power 750 & 750 switch?

These heaters have two switches that can be turned on separately or in conjunction with each other. Turn one on and you are getting 750 watts of heat.... turn the other one on also and you get 1500 watts.... ergo 2-power 750.

12 hours ago, bdmowers said:

I don`t have any of those things, just lights mainly and a refrigerator.  I have breakers for each circuit, one 40 amps and the other 50.

OK, and starting to better understand your concern on the wiring....if there are no sub-breakers for each circuit, just the 2 main ones of 40 and 50 amps, they would likely have a much higher rating than the wiring going from there to the plugs.   

That still doesn't mean there is any issue to using the heater, however.     1000 watts is not much, as the others have also mentioned.    

Again, if any concern, just have an electrician check the wiring for you, quick and easy to do.

It also depends on what else may be used at the same time on the circuit.

1 hour ago, Go Solar said:

Again, if any concern, just have an electrician check the wiring for you, quick and easy to do.

Specially the wall sockets. With a lot use, where the plug goes into socket may loosen.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 10:11 PM, bdmowers said:

Where did you buy your heaters?  Are you saying the heaters are only 750 watts?  What is a 2 power 750 & 750 switch?

I bought 3.  The ironic thing is, I have a gas fireplace but I prefer these heaters.  Great YouTube video shows how they look in person.

The first was on Amazon.mx and it is called a HomeBasix, it was about $80- free shipping with Prime.   I liked it so much I went online and looked for others.  There are other identical models available., with different distributors' name.  In the US they can be found at Tractor Supply, Home Depot, etc. but no shipping to Mexico. 

Believe it or not, I bought the other 2 on Newegg (goes to the Newegg.mx site) where it is called an Optimus and is was about  $75 USD  FREE FEDEX GROUND SHIPPING to Mexico!!!!!!!!!

https://www.newegg.com/global/mx-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2S7-00S0-00003&ignorebbr=1

There are larger models on Amazon US that I am keeping my eyes on for price reduction when cold season is over.  

What I love most about these "wood stove/fireplace" heaters is that you can run them without the heater, just the flames, and because the logs are ceramic and 3D they actually look like a real fire with burning logs.  I was showing it to my cleaning lady and when I bent down to touch the logs she gasped in horror.   

Thanks for the great shopping tip Kimanjome ! I have one in the bedroom that I bought on Amazon.com and had shipped down with Zipp Transport (currently unavailable). I love it. The fireplace "effect" uses LED lights and, as you say, can be used just for effect without the thermostatically controlled heater. It's very cozy. I even bought a separate sound effect unit so it can crackle and pop but it has no volume control on it and is too loud.

This is the one I bought... the difference is that the heat comes from the top and not the bottom; it has glass sides; can be set in increments of two degrees; has a timer to shut off after 30 or 60 minutes; has remote control to turn on while you're still in bed. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0AGJIQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just about fell off my chair when I saw the price increase... I paid $129 U.S. for it last year.

The low budget, old tech option:    use incandescent or halogen light bulbs of 150, 200 watts, or for real bang, those tall standing floor lamps that had the 300 or 500 watt long skinny halogen bulbs in them.     Those types are both about 90% heat and 10% light, and can warm up a room nicely, often in under an hour, with a small desk fan to circulate the air around.     😉 

Archived