Chapala.com Webboard

Oxygen

hysopp2000

I am moving to Ajijic in a week....my partner is already there....I do have COPD/...my fault for all those years of smoking ( I am 57 male).  My Dr prescribed an inhaler....but if I trouble with the altitude as far as breathing....how easy is it to get oxygen?  Do you need a prescription, or you just buy a tank etc.....Im just worried because I caught some 3rd world flu 2 years ago in NYC (the Drs said it wasnt the local flu)...and had to be rushed to the hospital because I couldnt breathe.  Im a flat lander currently living at sea level across the street from a bay in RI....any advice would be much appreciated.  Im so excited to move there...and join the LCS and get involved with volunteering...spanish lessons..etc...its looks so beautiful...and my partner loves it.  Thanks for reading.....best to all and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. 

There will be others who post to give you the information you require... like small portable oxygen tanks. But, you can rent or buy a portable (room to room because it gets plugged in) oxygen concentrator from Lake Med Centre which is located on the highway in west Ajijic. The lady who owns it speaks English. Her name is Lidia and her cell phone number is 333-156-9080 . She will be able to answer your questions and make suggestions.

Go slowly please. This is a much higher altitude and may be hard for you. Best of luck to you and your partner.

There are medical supply places  where you can rent  tanks  and concentrators. 

But you might think about looking into bringing down one of those small carry-around oxygen concentrators  and bring it with you.  I  do  not know how readily available they are here.         If you still have insurance there now, possibly it would be covered  as a current resident in the USA.  

It will take a couple of weeks  for your body to make up the difference in red cells. However I would recommend a concentrator. There are cylinders and concentrators available here all types. Oxireyes is another source. He responds sometimes in an hour or less. Now if you have medicare or some kind of insurance bring one of those portables with you much cheaper. With COPD I would not chance not having some kind of oxygen close.  Also if flying the airlines will supply oxygen for you but, you need to make arrangements ahead of time.

Good luck and welcome to Gringolandia.

COPD is the very reason that I am no longer in Chapala.  I managed for awhile, with a concentrator and bottles, but that is a very restricting lifestyle. I found myself sitting at home with a 75 foot tube from the concentrator in the bedroom, as they are noisy!  Bottlse don't last long, and are heavy and cumbersome. They are also a significant expense.  In 2014, we gave up and moved to Tucson, for a lower elevation and dry air.  It helped, but not enough. Four years later, we moved back to sea level in the Rio Grande Valley, where the VA provides home oxygen service, including a refill station and refillable bottles. I have yet to see how that affects my electric bill, but I do find that I use much less oxygen at this 77 foot elevation.  5200 feet is now way beyond my capabilities, and even 3000 feet puts me in distress. There is no cure for COPD, and it gets worse with time; not better.  In Tucson, I could walk only two houses away without oxygen. Here, at 77', I can walk a couple of blocks. Nevertheless, I need oxygen to recover & should avoid getting down to the 85-88% level, as it damages other organs.  So, I have just ordered an adult electric trike, which will be my transportation within the neighborhood, where we have paved streets, clubhouse, pool, hot tub, parks, ponds, etc. in a 55+ community.  The flavor of the area is Mexican and Spanish is the predominant language and the Mexican groceries are readily available.  Most locals are bilingual, but not all. So, though I dearly miss Chapala, this is my last option and we are happy with it. Mexico is just 10 minutes away for an occasional visit to a dentist in Nuevo Progresso, Tamps., or to a restaurant or club there. If you have further questions, send a PM on this, or TOB, or by e-mail, as this website is often unavailable to me.

RV, good to hear that your move to the Valley is working out well for you health-wise. AND you again get a Mexican lifestyle which we know you and the Ms. liked.  Sounds like the best of both worlds. Just keep that ‘adult electric trike’ under the speed limit or you’ll be facing mordida once again!

I will keep the top speed set to something like 15MPH, unles challenged by a local golf cart. Then, I might hit that 25MPH maximum.  We can establish a fixed course of about three blocks from here to the hot tub at the clubhouse!

Archived