Chapala.com Webboard

Netflix: US vs. Mexican

ComputerGuy

Here's an interesting one: there's a VPN service called Windscribe. You can sign up and get 10 GB/month for free (much more than the 500 MB from TunnelBear). They gave me a free, three-day upgrade to the full service, and mentioned I can get NetFlix US.

It's well known that anyone can use any VPN and get Netflix US on their PC or Mac, using a browser, but not on your tablet, cell phone, Smart TV, etc. This is because the Netflix app recognizes and defuses almost every known VPN/DNS service. Well, I signed up for a trial period, with Windscribe, and at netflix.com (not .com.mx) I immediately got full English access to hundreds of movies and shows. I signed out of Windscribe and still got the full service in English... not a Spanish phrase or shot to be found.

On my Smart TV, I signed in to Netflix and got the same full package. In fact, I watched, Bird Box, the new thriller that just arrived yesterday. And got the same on my cell phone. BUT I am not using Windscribe on any of these devices, so I contacted tech support at Windscribe and was told "It's because you're on Mexican Netflix". Now, that makes sense, but how can that be? There is no indication anywhere that it's the Mexican service.

He told me to look for Frasier, which is not on Netflix Mexico, but is on the U.S. version. He's right: no Frasier.

I have more to say on all this, with some perhaps good news for people who want Netflix, but to start, let me say this: there is so much content, all in English, and none in Spanish that I could find (until I changed my language preference), that perhaps there is no real need to try and get Netflix US here.

Strong VPN has consistently defeated NetFlix on blocking.  Sometimes it takes several days but the service always comes back.

NetFlix Mexico has about 70 percent of the content of NetFlix U.S.

We also find the U.S. VPN address useful in dealing with our banks and other U.S. sites that block out of country access.

I have been using Netflix Mexico for 3 years now. This is my only TV source. I will never run out of English content. I do not understand why people have to have Netflix US. And the price is right. With the exchange rate my cost averages $7.42 US per month.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

It's well known that anyone can use any VPN and get Netflix US on their PC or Mac, using a browser, but not on your tablet, cell phone, Smart TV, etc. 

I just signed onto Netflix US using PIA VPN on my tablet and watched a little of Bird Box. I have a US account which works here and there.

I just don't use the app, I used the browser. Most of the time, instead of using an app I use the browser. Apps is just extra crap on my cell phone and tablet.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Strong VPN has consistently defeated NetFlix on blocking.  Sometimes it takes several days but the service always comes back.

NetFlix Mexico has about 70 percent of the content of NetFlix U.S.

We also find the U.S. VPN address useful in dealing with our banks and other U.S. sites that block out of country access.

Twice when testing Strong VPN, Netflix had it defeated from the get go. So I stopped trying. Because to recommend a service, I need to know it's reliable every time.

I would imagine the next step will be to find a way to compare what is on US Netflix vs. what is on Mexico Netflix. And then determine if the extra hassle is worth it.

I recently subscribed to Netflix Mexico and can't imagine that I will ever run out of content, whether English or Spanish.  The other day I watched the first episode of Salt Fat Acid Heat, which IMHO is a must-see if you are interested in the kitchen.  The chef/host is out of this world.  I'm in love.

12 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Here's an interesting one: there's a VPN service called Windscribe. You can sign up and get 10 GB/month for free (much more than the 500 MB from TunnelBear). They gave me a free, three-day upgrade to the full service, and mentioned I can get NetFlix US.

It's well known that anyone can use any VPN and get Netflix US on their PC or Mac, using a browser, but not on your tablet, cell phone, Smart TV, etc. This is because the Netflix app recognizes and defuses almost every known VPN/DNS service. Well, I signed up for a trial period, with Windscribe, and at netflix.com (not .com.mx) I immediately got full English access to hundreds of movies and shows. I signed out of Windscribe and still got the full service in English... not a Spanish phrase or shot to be found.

On my Smart TV, I signed in to Netflix and got the same full package. In fact, I watched, Bird Box, the new thriller that just arrived yesterday. And got the same on my cell phone. BUT I am not using Windscribe on any of these devices, so I contacted tech support at Windscribe and was told "It's because you're on Mexican Netflix". Now, that makes sense, but how can that be? There is no indication anywhere that it's the Mexican service.

He told me to look for Frasier, which is not on Netflix Mexico, but is on the U.S. version. He's right: no Frasier.

I have more to say on all this, with some perhaps good news for people who want Netflix, but to start, let me say this: there is so much content, all in English, and none in Spanish that I could find (until I changed my language preference), that perhaps there is no real need to try and get Netflix US here.

https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/windscribe-vpn/#

I use Express VPN and have no problems getting US Netflix. If a city (access) is blocked, you can contact them and they'll tell you which one works. I like flipping back and forth because some programs that I want to see aren't available in the US (like one REALLY cheesy Turkish soap opera) and vice versa. I'm able to get everything on my tablet, so it's perfect for sitting in bed and binge watching. For the big screen, I just use a live streaming service on the smart tv. I'm a technodino, so you know it has to be pretty simple for me to be able to do it.

My attempts to discern whether or not I was actually ON U.S. Netflix failed miserably. There is no indication in the address bar or in my phone or tablet apps that it is anything other than U.S., so I figured that's all I needed to know. There is no .mx in the address; there is no Spanish anywhere on the site; there are no Spanish programs except their new show Diablero. However, when trying to find Frasier, it is not there. That is because Frasier is only on US Netflix, not Mexican Netflix.

And that's the only way I know of right now to actually tell to which Netflix I am connected. I presume one uses the same login and password for Netflix wherever you are.

This is the message I get when I sign on here with a my US account.

"We noticed a new sign-in with your Netflix account.

Device
Computer
(may not match your exact location)
Time
December 23rd, 4:49 PM PST
If you signed-in recently, relax and enjoy watching! But if you don’t recognize this sign-in, we recommend that you change your password immediately to secure your account."

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

My attempts to discern whether or not I was actually ON U.S. Netflix failed miserably. There is no indication in the address bar or in my phone or tablet apps that it is anything other than U.S., so I figured that's all I needed to know. There is no .mx in the address; there is no Spanish anywhere on the site; there are no Spanish programs except their new show Diablero. However, when trying to find Frasier, it is not there. That is because Frasier is only on US Netflix, not Mexican Netflix.

And that's the only way I know of right now to actually tell to which Netflix I am connected. I presume one uses the same login and password for Netflix wherever you are.

I never knew there could be a way to check my country's code. I just figured if I could reach a particular program, then I was showing as US and if I wanted my cheesy Turkish soap, it was Mexico. I tried Frasier on my tablet with the VPN and got it, np. Grrrr...now I'm in the mood to binge watch that series. Great, just great:wacko:. The login and pw are always the same.

BTW, tks for the info on hidden Netflix, Ferret...more future binges!

Archived