Chapala.com Webboard

Dual Cooling and Heating System

Zeb

I am interested in purchasing one of those dual systems for heat and air conditioning that is installed on the wall. I know very little about them.  I'd appreciate any recommendations on where to purchase and best place to install in a bedroom.  I do know Home Depot sells them.

Just be warned that because they are installed high on the wall, they are not the most efficient heater since warm air rises but cold air falls. If you have a ceiling fan set on low and REVERSE the blade rotation to move the warm air off the ceiling and circulate it to the rest of the room, then they are worthwhile.

We purchased our Whirlpool mini-split at Tio Sams. They supplied the electrician to run the 220v line and the Whirlpool tech's that installed the unit. Heats and cools. It was about $19,000 total installed. 

Mini Split heat pumps

Costco & Home Depot have somewhat inefficient systems (SEER 12). Mercado Libre has various offerors of more efficient SEER 17 inverter systems (most with free delivery).

Heat pumps are described as:
  "mini split  calor / frio"

1 ton (12,000 BTU) units can be powered by 127V;  2 and 3 ton units require 220V power.

In our house we have 1 ton units in each bedroom, and a 2 ton unit in main room.

Power consumption seems pretty low, in the mild climate we enjoy here, less than 1,000mxn a month more than previous CFE bills.

12 hours ago, SunshineyDay said:

Also in May! Of course remember the operation cost. Invest in solar otherwise you may faint when you receive your CFE bill. LOL!.

Absolutely right on about the Solar. I am not very informed on this regard as my spouse always handled all of this.  I will have to research best solar options as well.  I am aware of the huge CFE Bills.

Archived