Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for Book : Pacific Voetex ! by Clive Cussler

cstone

Merry Christmas to All !🎄

I am searching for this book, Pacific Vortex ! by Clive Cussler. I have tried all my libraries, and the Kindle store. It is too old and for the library system to have a digital copy, and is not available in Kindle to me as a US Prime member. Seems strange, but it is true.

Before I cough up $$ to have it mailed to me, I was wondering if there were any Clive Cussler fans out there who have the book and would let me borrow it. Although it is not the first book published with the Dirk Pitt character, it is the first in story chronology.

I am not a member of LCS, so I am not able to access their library.

13 hours ago, Tingting said:

Just for info, there's a great site that you can find most books for free...  www.ebook.bike (no com at the end). Pacific Vortex was there. The website is a bit of a mess, but really worth it. You do have to register, but you won't get spam from them.

Downloading books without paying for them -- isn't that unethical, or the same as stealing?

1 hour ago, Brian Dalziel said:

If all the books available on pirated web sites have been properly paid for, and they can be lent to only one person at a time, then yes lending and swapping e-books are legitimate.  Otherwise . . . ? 

So libraries are not legitimate?

I used to buy paperbacks. When finished, I would give them to someone else to enjoy. Was I stealing from the author? No... quite likely the person who now has the book wouldn't have bought it anyway. What's the difference with an eBook? Why shouldn't I finish it and give it to a friend?

Wow !! This is wonderful. Thank you all so much. I am a Cussler fan, and my husband thinks he would like to try them, too. I want to start him off with the series in chronological order ! Merry Christmas to me from all of you !🎄

14 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I used to buy paperbacks. When finished, I would give them to someone else to enjoy. Was I stealing from the author? No... quite likely the person who now has the book wouldn't have bought it anyway. What's the difference with an eBook? Why shouldn't I finish it and give it to a friend?

To me the difference is that you did not make hundreds of copies of the paperback.

1 hour ago, Brian Dalziel said:

Libraries have a system that ensures only one person at a time can read each copy they purchase, and that the copy disappears from the library system until it is returned and can be lent again.

That is not true. Often both the husband and wife will read the same book during the same time period the book is  on loan from the library, sometimes even the kids join in. However it is not often that they both read the same page at the same time.

This is getting ridiculous. You do know that many libraries also lend e-books now right? Are you telling me that they only lend one copy at a time?

Quite frankly, I don't care. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on books in my life and I RESENT the cost of an e-book as compared to a hardback or a softback. When they fix the unbelievable discrepancy in price, I MAY purchase again.

I loved that Dirk Pitt series. They are like giant action movies, always keeping you engaged. Sometimes there gaping plot holes, and too much about weapons and technology daydreams, but still good. I am just about finished the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher aboutt a modern day wizard/detective, living in Chicago - lots of humorous moments. Then I can't wait to see the Aquaman when it comes to town, after all I was Jason Momoa's stunt double for that one😁

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on clothes in my life and I RESENT the cost of shorts as compared to the cost of long pants. Until they fix the discrepancy in price I am going to steal shorts. 😁

This made me LOL. The comparison is not the same by any stretch of the imagination. :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, Brian Dalziel said:

Downloading books without paying for them -- isn't that unethical, or the same as stealing?

And did you pay for the music you downloaded from YouTube? What about those movies you buy in front of a certain store for 20 pesos or so? Don't forget the online movies, etc.

I've bought thousands and thousands of dollars worth of books in my time and loaned them to friends. For me, ebooks are no different. If you don't agree and believe a particular book was downloaded illegally, the website has a DMC takedown button where an illegal download can be reported and the book removed. 

The complicated ethics discussion going on is gobsmacking !

Years ago, I stopped loading  up my premises with paper books which I might or might not touch again. I donated the load.

I bought a paperwhite lighted Kindle and moved into the current century; past the world of paper.  When I want a particular title, it's off to Amazon and shortly it's downloaded and ready to read.  This is uncomplicated; no ethical dilemmas and no wasting time hunting for workarounds.  I like life that way: YMMV.😉

1 hour ago, gringal said:

The complicated ethics discussion going on is gobsmacking !

Years ago, I stopped loading  up my premises with paper books which I might or might not touch again. I donated the load.

I bought a paperwhite lighted Kindle and moved into the current century; past the world of paper.  When I want a particular title, it's off to Amazon and shortly it's downloaded and ready to read.  This is uncomplicated; no ethical dilemmas and no wasting time hunting for workarounds.  I like life that way: YMMV.😉

Sounds as though you are paying for your ebooks or reading only the free books offered on Amazon. That is a whole other discussion than obtaining a pirated version of the latest best seller. Let’s hope one day publishers figure out fair pricing and sharibility for ebooks. Until then I am grateful for the readers supporting authors who spend their time and energy writing books for people to read. 

Yes, I pay for all my ebooks.  But: if others are comfortable about whatever they are doing, and since murder or mayhem isn't being perpetrated in the process, I believe in following the 11th commandment: "Mind your own business".🤐

At the same time, I can't help being amused by the downright Jesuitical mind twists that even question whether or not public libraries are doing the right thing.😄

Archived