Chapala.com Webboard

half & half

Stymie

Heavy cream is: crema para batir (cream to be beaten). 

However I disagree with your description of Mexican half & half;  I have used it successfully in many many recipes.  These are recipes I have used for years in the US and  I get the same results here.  I use the Lyncott brand.

The heavy cream, crema batir, has less butterfat than cream NOB. It can make making whip cream a bit of a challenge. Make sure the beaters and bowl have been in the freezer for a spell. Cream should be really cold. Have some superfine sugar (SuperLake) to add. 

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

The heavy cream, crema batir, has less butterfat than cream NOB. It can make making whip cream a bit of a challenge. Make sure the beaters and bowl have been in the freezer for a spell. Cream should be really cold. Have some superfine sugar (SuperLake) to add. 

When you say put beaters and bowl  in the freezer for a “spell” how long are you talking about? Is an hour or two enough or should it be something more like overnight? Thank you.

1 hour ago, Xena said:

When you say put beaters and bowl  in the freezer for a “spell” how long are you talking about? Is an hour or two enough or should it be something more like overnight? Thank you.

A minimum of 15 minutes. You just want to chill them.

42 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

If half & half refers to the liquid's content of half milk and half cream with a butterfat content of 12.5%, why couldn't one just put some butter into 100% milk to be the same?

That would be buttermilk.

I forgot the HaHa.

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

If half & half refers to the liquid's content of half milk and half cream with a butterfat content of 12.5%, why couldn't one just put some butter into 100% milk to be the same?

You are correct.

To achieve one cup of half-and-half substitute:
  1. Mix 1/2 cup whole milk + 1/2 cup light cream. Or 
  2. Mix 3/4 cup whole milk + 1/4 cup heavy cream. Or
  3. Mix 2/3 cup skim or low-fat milk + 1/3 cup heavy cream. Or
  4. Place 4 teaspoons melted unsalted butter in a measuring cup, then add enough whole milk to equal 1 cup.

Yogurt is also a healthy choice. If you are using baking powder, it makes the rise. Unfortunately I would think all the probiotic bacteria would be killed. I am loving my new Amasi Masai Warrior yogurt using whole milk. It clots up like clotted cream, is deliciously creamy, and tastes somewhere between yogurt and buttermilk. Next summer, when the fresh mangos come out I can't wait to make mango lassi with a pinch of Himalayan salt on top.

I use the half & half here in recipes with no problem also.  I also use the whipping cream (crema batir) without chilling anything .. add sugar and vanilla and whip it stiff in a tupperware bowl, put a lid on it and it will last in the fridge for about 3 days.  I use the homemade buttermilk that you can purchase at the shop which is about 3 to 4 blocks down on the right on the street that runs south between Lloyds and Guadalajara Pharmacia.  It works great.  Happy baking!

Archived