Chapala.com Webboard

A nice story

Earl

I was in Super Lake late this afternoon.  As I walked in, I noticed an older Anglo with a full cart slowly handing each item to the young clerk one by one to be rung up. She seemed to be examining and considering each purchase as she was slowly handing it to the cashier. My passing thought was that this checkout was going to require great patience and a long time! Sure enough, after shopping for several produce items that I had spent time carefully selecting and searching for another item, I got behind this lady  who was still there and just finishing up, slowly fishing coins from a coin purse, having already handed  paper money to the young cashier, whose name is Rubi Berenice Flores.

The lady didn't have enough money to cover her purchases and then offered a bag of something so that the cashier could reduce the total.  Before I could ask the lady or Rubi how much the shortfall was, Rubi said to her in Spanish, "That's okay, I'll pay for it."  I was amazed!  Rubi took 17 pesos out of her shirt pocket to cover the shortfall, and at the same time, the owner came up, put all the purchases in the cart and offered to help the lady out with her now very full, piled up cart. As he did this,  I explained to him what Rubi had done and told him how impressed I was with her kindness.  He retrieved his clipboard and asked her how much the shortfall was so that he could reimburse her, or else I would've.  The older lady went on out.

In the past, I have given Susanna, who used to work there, a nice bit of cash as a Christmas gift because she was always so smiling and happy, efficient, eager to please, and absolutely honest.  This  year, I will write a note to Rubi and tell her how much her kindness to this older Anglo meant to that lady and to me, etc  and enclose a cash Merry Christmas gift with it.  I never expected such empathy and generosity from a young cashier, especially one who  had already had to  patiently go through a long, drawn-out checkout process, which had probably taken 15 minutes!

Seriously a very nice story, particularly at this time of year...but I am driven crazy by "little old people" who take so long finding money, chatting, refilling their telephone or paying their CFE bill, whilst the check out lines are getting longer and longer...numerous times if I am behind some one searching for that last nickle or dime I just put done a 10 or 20 pesos to move them along

May none of us  ever become one of those old people who can no longer speedily handle everyday transactions and have an impatient person behind us letting us know how annoyed they are with us. Hopefully, if they are annoyed they will be able to mask their annoyance and happily help us finish paying for our order and graciously send us on our way. It occurs to me that maybe the cashier in Earl’s lovely story pitched in her own money to simply speed things up and finish a transaction that had already taken too much time. She was compassionate enough to do it in a way that did not judge or embarrass the old woman. May we all at least try to be this kind.

21 minutes ago, gringal said:

As my dear old mum said: "If you stand around on the planet long enough, you'll get old".  Have patience. Many of us came here from places and situations where getting the most done in the least amount of time was mandatory.  Here...what's the big hurry?😉

Could be  if you're in your  80s or 90s you do not have much time left, seriously some places in Lakeside look like perpetual nursing homes

36 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Could be  if you're in your  80s or 90s you do not have much time left, seriously some places in Lakeside look like perpetual nursing homes

When I lived in Ajijic, many of my Mexican friends called the town, "la sala de espera de Dios".  God's waiting room. 

Try to be kind, we are all going that way.

Archived