Chapala.com Webboard

plastic bag ban starting Jan 1

JayBearII

My understanding is that I can't buy single-use plastic bags starting Jan. 1. I have already bought 3 large cloth tote bags at WalMart for groceries, so I am all set there. BUT I can't figure out what to do to replace the small clear plastic bags I use for food waste (no disposal possible at our condo) or dog poop (we have a small fenced back yard, and we pick up the poop), OR the plastic trash bin liners, into which we put trash before it goes in the trash cans in our condo trash area. What to do????

Not illegal to sell them. Illegal to dish them out at businesses. We shall see what is enforced and what is not, and what alternatives are achieved. I note that Tony's takeout chicken place has been using recycled containers for a long time now, and paper bags instead of plastic.

1 hour ago, JayBearII said:

My understanding is that I can't buy single-use plastic bags starting Jan. 1. I have already bought 3 large cloth tote bags at WalMart for groceries, so I am all set there. BUT I can't figure out what to do to replace the small clear plastic bags I use for food waste (no disposal possible at our condo) or dog poop (we have a small fenced back yard, and we pick up the poop), OR the plastic trash bin liners, into which we put trash before it goes in the trash cans in our condo trash area. What to do????

I buy biodegradable plastic poop bags ... suppose you could use them for food waste as well.

Thanks for the clarification, everyone! Bettinka, where do you buy the biodegradable plastic poop bags and how do I recognize them on the store shelf?

We do not have any plastic bags in France, you have to bring your own bag to the market, weigh your veggies and place them in a small thin paper bag and chicken and fish are wrapped in a type of wax paper. Here you need some type of container wether paper or other to buy veggies and meat or fish..Let´s see f someone can figure t out before plastic bags disappear, IF they disappear. Yes you can buy your own containers but it cuts back on last minute purchases.. Over there they sell little nets that you can fold in your purse or pocket for that impulse purchase you may have on your way home. Let´s see what develops here..

8 hours ago, bmh said:

We do not have any plastic bags in France, you have to bring your own bag to the market, weigh your veggies and place them in a small thin paper bag and chicken and fish are wrapped in a type of wax paper. Here you need some type of container wether paper or other to buy veggies and meat or fish..Let´s see f someone can figure t out before plastic bags disappear, IF they disappear. Yes you can buy your own containers but it cuts back on last minute purchases.. Over there they sell little nets that you can fold in your purse or pocket for that impulse purchase you may have on your way home. Let´s see what develops here..

But what do you use for waste and dog poop, etc?

for waste and dog poop we used biodegradable bags. They look like plastic to me but I do not know for sure.. Whatever plastic and styrofoam we can cut out of daly life is a plus..The bags there are small and are putin larger rubber cans that are designed to be picked up by the trucks.. They have to be put just so on the street and if we have more that that small can we have to pay a fee for the garbage to be picked up. We are also allowed so much green trash and if we have more we have to take it to the dump and they charge a nice dumping fee as well.

Archived