Chapala.com Webboard

Oaxacan handmade bed spreads?

This summer in the Ajijic plaza next to the Garden Restaurant, there was a table selling a large variety of beautifully made Oaxacan artisanal bed spreads.  I live in Chapala and see them occasionally selling smaller selections of them on the malecón.  But now I want to buy two of them, and everytime I have the money to buy them on the weekends, I can't find them, but everytime I go down and don't have the money, I run into them.  So, my question is, is that table that was selling them in the Ajijic plaza, this summer, still there?  Thanks.

There are two types of bedspreads from Oaxaca one with all kinds of designs that were being sold in the plaza this week-end and the other from Mitla that have stripes of different colors in the width. Which ones are you talking about. If you want the Mitla ones they are sold by the store from Oaxaca Arte Indígena on colon right next to a restaurant,, They are woven on pedal loom and are 100%cotton.

@bmh Are the ones with the various designs being sold around town now, homemade?  I glanced at them and wondered if they are mass-produced (they look quilted but not hand quilted, but since I wasn't in the market for one I didn't get too close for the hard sell).  I have two of the Mitla type which I think are the perfect weight almost year round for sleeping.  

TO me they look like the cheap stuff I see down there is poorer places. I would think they are mass produced. The ones done on pedal looms are at the store arte indigena and they are made in Teotitlan and Mitla. If they do not have them right now they can get them, the owners are on their way down there today, they are friends and I will  be at the fiesta down there on the 30th.. They also have a store on Juarez in Tlaquepaque..

Definitely what bmh said. The store by the "Peacock Garden Restaurant" has bedspreads of different sizes in stock in the back (last time I was there). They are the ones with generally simpler designs/patterns.

The ones that the boys with handtrucks have been carting around Ajijic daily for the last several weeks, are different. I think of them as throw blankets, but maybe they're bedspreads. I've never looked at them closely as the patterns don't appeal to me. If you like them, they're still around. (I work on Colon and see those guys daily.)

Ok thanks, yes, I am looking for the ones that the guys that are selling from the little carts, I used to see them almost daily on the Chapala malecón, but I guess they are hanging out more in Ajijic these days.  The ones I've seen have had mandalas and other cool designs on them and they looked colorful and beautiful to me.  This summer I ate at the Garden Restaurant on the Ajijic plaza and spotted that they had set up a table that looked like it had a huge selection of them.  I think it was sitting in front of the Casa de Cultura.  I guess that is no longer there now.  I'll have to search them out in Ajijic now.  Thanks again!  In Chapala they were selling the queen sized ones for around 600 pesos.  I wonder what they will cost in Ajijic, and how much would something similar cost in one of those boutique like stores.

The ones the guys are selling on the handtrucks were not colorful, at least the ones they showed me but they seem to be reversible and seem to be made of cotton. You can sometimes see them sold at fairs as well.  I would think you could find those around San Juan de Dios because they can be seen just about everywhere  in homes.

I purchased one in front of Superlake this past Friday afternoon.  It is reversible and I really like the pattern of butterflies and sunflowers.  I think the different colors of green and cream are really pretty.  They had different patterns with reds, rose, blues, browns, oranges, etc.  It will be a perfect weight for spring and summer.  I paid $650 for a full size.  Maybe paid too much considering you saw them for $600 for a queen size ... but I don't like to haggle unless I think a price is way out of line.  I didn't think the equivalent of $35 U.S. was out of line even if it was machine made which I have no idea whether it is or not.  I just know I like it a lot.

18 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

@bmh Are the ones with the various designs being sold around town now, homemade?  I glanced at them and wondered if they are mass-produced (they look quilted but not hand quilted, but since I wasn't in the market for one I didn't get too close for the hard sell).  I have two of the Mitla type which I think are the perfect weight almost year round for sleeping.  

mass produced

They certainly get around! We were in Pena de Bernal in the state of Queretaro last week and saw them there. I'm sure they must have more than one pair of young men selling them. By the way we paid 550 pesos for a queen size.

These are industrially made bedspreads, they can be found at many ferias all around the country so ye s I would say they have more than 2 men selling them.they will

The weaving done across from cuisinart is not made of cotton . and they are made on pedal looms so more artisanals than the others. Since the OPlikes the others and the guys are still in town it would be easier to tell her where we see these guys.

I was driving when I saw them otherwise  would have ask them for their cell number.

The bedspreads on the handcarts are 100% cotton and I believe they are machine loomed.  I paid $550 for a queen size, but it wasn't a queen, so one might want to measure.  I saw these vendors both at the Wednesday tianguis and in the plaza on Friday night and the weekends.  I have a dog who sleeps on the bed and is hell on bedspreads but this is holding up great and I love it, despite it being too small.  

Archived