Chapala.com Webboard

Need a Computer Fixer

MexicoJimbo

On 12/18/2018 at 12:31 PM, ComputerGuy said:

I hope he did a great job. That would have involved backing up and restoring your data, as well as re-installing Windows from scratch, perhaps twice if you are talking about two drives for two computers.

He did do a great job and we bought the solid state drives on Amazon, so it was for the labor only....still a great job.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/18/2018 at 12:31 PM, ComputerGuy said:

I hope he did a great job. That would have involved backing up and restoring your data, as well as re-installing Windows from scratch, perhaps twice if you are talking about two drives for two computers.

I did this recently without backup and restore our reinstalling windows. Just put the SSD in an external box, used cloning software to clone the old drive, then swapped the drives and rebooted.

And that might have been a mistake. Unless the copy you made was pristine, you also cloned every problem your Windows installation already had. Cloning is usually reserved for setting up new employees or users, based on an exacting, pre-determined installation of Windows on  an air-gapped computer. No expert worth his salt would clone a used machine. Not only that, but the time it takes to clone a machine is quite a bit longer than simply backing up important files, wiping the drive, and reinstalling the OS.

I also would not expect a novice to understand cloning, and the software and hardware required. But for those who like to do that kind of thing, go for it.

On 12/16/2018 at 9:58 AM, MexicoJimbo said:

A few months ago, I was having computer problems, so I called the place where I bought the computer.

They "fixed" the problem, but then I started getting a message on my computer saying that my Windows license is going to expire soon.  I called the same place, they said they fixed this, but that "Windows license expiring soon" message keeps appearing.

I would really appreciate someone telling me the name and phone number of a legit computer expert who can help me with my problem.

Thanks in advance...

Did you pay a few hundred pesos for your repair? Because if you did, you would have to ignore the fact that a legit version of Windows costs somewhere between $2,400 and $3,950p.

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Did you pay a few hundred pesos for your repair? Because if you did, you would have to ignore the fact that a legit version of Windows costs somewhere between $2,400 and $3,950p.

Unless you pay only 420p https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-646571159-windows-10-pro-_JM?quantity=1

9 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Nobody really thinks a $20 buck fix is legit, do they?

When I upgraded my motherboard from a system upgraded for free from Windows 7 I had to buy a legal copy. Yes, I only paid 420p and yes it even came with a hologram sticker.

Nobody pays retail if they think.

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

For 420 pesos you receive an after-market product key and instructions for downloading and installing Windows 10 from Microsoft.  Third-party product keys don't always work, and getting technical help or a refund from the seller can sometimes be a problem.

Just now, Brian Dalziel said:

For 420 pesos you receive an after-market product key and instructions for downloading and installing Windows 10 from Microsoft.  Third-party product keys don't always work, and getting technical help or a refund from the seller can sometimes be a problem.

NOT!

4 minutes ago, Brian Dalziel said:

Don't they may also have a problem if they try to activate the key with Microsoft?

Okay, I really don't think any board should be sanctioning members who openly promote piracy. You wanna do it? Keep it to yourself.

The only thing a hologram sticker represents is a vendor who bought a multi-license to install Windows on new PCs. So instead of building new PCs, they are selling you the "not for retail sale, for distribution only with a new computer" license.

Archived