Chapala.com Webboard

Need a Computer Fixer

MexicoJimbo

A few months ago, I was having computer problems, so I called the place where I bought the computer.

They "fixed" the problem, but then I started getting a message on my computer saying that my Windows license is going to expire soon.  I called the same place, they said they fixed this, but that "Windows license expiring soon" message keeps appearing.

I would really appreciate someone telling me the name and phone number of a legit computer expert who can help me with my problem.

Thanks in advance...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows licenses don't expire. The tech who "fixed" your computer likely simply reinstalled a time limited demo version which are usually valid for 90 days. You were ripped-off. Welcome to Mexico. Unless you have a specific need for Windows, you might want to consider Linux. Always free, always more secure than Windows, and runs well on older equipment.

https://itsfoss.com/reasons-switch-linux-windows-xp/

56 minutes ago, MexicoJimbo said:

They "fixed" the problem, but then I started getting a message on my computer saying that my Windows license is going to expire soon.

Your windows fix is only $420 MXN and easy to do it yourself.  https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-646571159-windows-10-pro-_JM?quantity=1

I recently built a new system and this is how I did it.

I am truly F***ing fed up w/W10.

I'm seriously considering another laptop to use strictly offline for projects.

What is the learning curve on Linux?

Will it run my printer, and other programs I need such as Adobe Reader, etc.

Can I try it w/o removing windows?

Sorry about your bad luck. Once I learned how to use Win 10 and that took a while at my age, I have learned to love it. I understand that Linux will do that Eric, but I hope someone else will confirm that, for it is only hearsay on my part.

6 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

What is the learning curve on Linux?

Will it run my printer, and other programs I need such as Adobe Reader, etc.

Can I try it w/o removing windows?

There is not just one Linux and some versions are  best left to the pros. Other versions ("flavors" in Linux lingo) are as user friendly as Windows. I prefer Ubuntu but many former Windows users prefer Linux Mint which can be configured to strongly resemble Win7. The Linux learning curve is similar to learning how to drive a new car after many years of driving an old, comfortable one. The steering wheel and brake pedal are where they've always been but the heater controls are a little different. You cope.

Almost all hardware is plug-and-play and that really isn't much of a consideration. Just last week I had to install a driver on my Win7 laptop for an OBD2 (car onboard diagnostics). Yep, it even happens with Windows. Some software just wasn't meant to run on Linux so any proprietary Windows software may be a problem. Some of the problem software will have a work-around and some will be shitouttaluck. All common software will have free and (usually) very high quality Linux alternatives. Adobe Reader fits in this latter category. If you're a gamer you probably better stick with Windows.

All you need is a USB memory stick and you can try as many flavors of Linux as you please. It won't cost you anything and when you eject the memory stick there will be no sign that it was ever there. If loading a Linux operating system onto a memory stick is beyond your comfort zone you probably ought to forget about Linux. Loading a Linux operating system onto your hard drive is doable even for most who think that it is beyond them. Beware: WHEN YOU DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH LINUX YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY HAVE TO FIX IT YOURSELF. I have seen where posters have offered to mentor Linux newbies; that ain't me!

I currently have a desktop computer with complete Win7 and Ubuntu 16.04 operating systems and a laptop with complete Win7 and Linux Mint 17.2 operating systems. It is fairly common among Linux users to have multiple operating systems on the same computer. Used Windows machines run very well on Linux and can be bought very inexpensively. There is no reason to remove Windows just because you want to run Linux. Sometimes, as with my OBD2, you just have to have Windows.

I want to start by saying that I never used Linux. On the PC, I have only used Windows. On other machines, I have used other operating systems. 

mattoleriver gives some excellent advise. I just want to add to his advise concerning software. When we considered changing operating systems, we first prepared a list required/wanted software. Just to make sure it was available before we started the conversion.

matteloriver, I could not have said it better. Tiny, same thing.

The real difficulty with Windows 10 is "perception of use" on the part of the user. For all intents and purposes, the visual diferences are what confuses people... and that is based on the menu system from the Start button. It's designed to switch back and forth between PCs and laptops, and if it gets stuck in the wrong mode, will drive casual users crazy. But everything else operates exactly like it did under Windows 7: browsers, like Internet Explorer and Firefox and Chrome; MS Office up to version 2013; photo editing tools, like PhotoShop; all File manipulation using File Explorer (which the majority don't understand anyway), and all of your favourite programs. Even installing printers is exactly the same. Because the designers of all this software did not change how their programs function.

Even the stuff "under the hood" that most people never see, functions in the same way. Trust me, as a "pro" at this, it took a long time to uncover where MS hid everything this time. But, it still does what it did before, once I found it all.

The application of a small program called Classic Shell makes W10 look just like W7, for those who just cannot get used to the menu with all it's big, blocky, intrusive (mostly advertising) tiles.

CG, Thanks.

To add on, I think Microsoft tried to do too much with the design of Win 10, an operating system for desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone. Also, it maybe a case of creating software for everyone but not that well. Look at Edge. 

On 12/16/2018 at 9:58 AM, MexicoJimbo said:

A few months ago, I was having computer problems, so I called the place where I bought the computer.

MexicoJimbo, you may consider posting the name of where you bought the computer so others are cautious.

The original topic here was getting a real license for Windows 10.... and that has been answered. “Eric Blair’s” problem with Win10, the most comprehensive operating system, known by all and written for by ‘every’ software maker on the earth, may just be cockpit problems. I can’t image his problem(s) being solved by Linux but then we don’t know what he is having problems with. (BTW, what a nice Post about Linux from mattoleriver!). 

I,ve used every Windows product since 3.1.... with the exception of Windows 8!.... and I don’t find Windows 10 to be a problem at all. Windows 7 was so good, and people got used to it for so long, that the ‘new look’ of W10 can be slightly daunting to some, especially for us ole dudes and dudettes. But 10 is solid and I would not go back to 7, even the look, for anything. But then, that’s just me.

Adrian of Axixic computers speaks Linux. 331 064 8578. They also sell and install security systems. He could install a dual operating system. Good, fairly, reliable work. The Linux mint distro includes all the programs and accessories you will ever need -so many that newcomers stumble over the so many included apps.

We're very happy with our computer guy. He replaced 2 of our hard drives that were failing with new samsung solid state drives and saved and reinstalled all of our important data

and only charged us 650p. Now they work fast and no hassle. He came to our house and when he needed to do more work he took them home and returned them completed the next day.

His name is Mike D and email is: easytechchapala@gmail

48 minutes ago, cafemediterraneo said:

We're very happy with our computer guy. He replaced 2 of our hard drives that were failing with new samsung solid state drives and saved and reinstalled all of our important data

and only charged us 650p. Now they work fast and no hassle. He came to our house and when he needed to do more work he took them home and returned them completed the next day.

His name is Mike D and email is: easytechchapala@gmail

Sorry, there is no way. Even a single solid-state drive costs considerably more than $650p.

21 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

yes-mac-are-you-an-idiot-no-do-you-have-

Adrian doesn't have a life because he is too busy. He setup and maintains many businesses here - most servers are Linux based. His business partner, Eric, has a diploma from the technical college for computer networking. Eric is also the son of a very popular local handyman and plumber - Ramone. Eric has no fear of ladders, etc, and really knows his security stuff. Many, many businesses and schools are switching to Linux. The group licensing fees for Windows are outrageous. Then keeping legality in line with programs such as Adobe Photoshop, often pirated. There are many lawyers seeking out copyright violations, but they are mostly seeking out businesses. All the big software companies are aware of this trend, and are issuing Linux drivers and games that 5 years ago did not exist.

That reminds me, I was going to purchase one of Adrian's Raspberry Pi's, and the set it up as a wi-fi media server.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

What does Eric's deal with ladders have to do with any of this?

Because Eric integrates your private security system to your home or business computer networks, clouds, smartphones, media servers, etc.. Cameras, motion sensors and sirens have to be high up so they are not disabled.

Archived