Chapala.com Webboard

Mayan Train

CHILLIN

The Presidente has authorised the construction of the Mayan train route starting tomorrow. It basically connects many of the Mayan sites, through some of the stunningly beautiful natural forests that are offered on this planet. It will carry both passenger and freight trains. It will be a tremendous boost for workers in these area.

I was under the impression that the Mayan Train project had been 'voted' down by local indigenous peoples...(re: an article in MND)

Was I mistaken, did the route change, or what? L

3 hours ago, bobnliz said:

I was under the impression that the Mayan Train project had been 'voted' down by local indigenous peoples...(re: an article in MND)

Was I mistaken, did the route change, or what? L

AMLO held a referendum on this decision. Only .63 percent participated and approved it. If indigenous people didn't want it, they couldn't bother to vote.

Do not worry about the train , if the indigenous do not want it on their territory it will not go through. In CHiapas they are holding the construction of a road that would cut the trip to Palenque from 5 he to 2h.. The zapatista territories are just not allowing the construction and end of subject. Since AMLO is pro indigenous rights , it will be interesting to see what happens. In Chiapas the train barely enters but it is a different story in Campeche, Quintana Roo and Yucatan.. future will tell. I am against the train f they will allow any development in the jungle..   We saw when happened to Agua Azul  when people are allowed to destroy the natural beauty..

Indigenous were not ask to approve or not, the ballots went to a group of people around the country not to the communities that will be affected.

How will this be paid for? I was told Amlo was closing down the tourism board and all those monies for cities and states to attract tourism will be funneled to the Mayan train. If that is true it would be akin to shooting oneself in the face since Mexioc is highly dependent on tourist dollars and many communities need the tourism dollars now provided by the gvt to attract tourists.

Politicians seem to confuse brains with trains and this is one of the dumber examples along with that boondoggle in California.  As BMH notes it will probably never happen, fortunately, because the people of that area want no part of it.  The referendum was a joke just like the one for the airport.

Pragmatism seems to be in very short supply among the ruling class everywhere these days. 

I think it would help the Campeche ruins around Xpuhil  as they are remote from all the others but there are lots of options to see the others. and a good bus system would work just as well. 

The new governor of Chiapas and some people want a train from San Cristobal to Palenque as we are all tired of the bad  and dangerous road between the two parts of the state but since they cannot finish the road, I am not sure how they would put through a train..

On 12/18/2018 at 10:19 AM, bmh said:

I think it would help the Campeche ruins around Xpuhil  as they are remote from all the others but there are lots of options to see the others. and a good bus system would work just as well. 

The new governor of Chiapas and some people want a train from San Cristobal to Palenque as we are all tired of the bad  and dangerous road between the two parts of the state but since they cannot finish the road, I am not sure how they would put through a train..

Exactly what is that about?  Since you are on the scene there much of the time I'd be interested in learning what is going on with that.

the zapatistas are autonomous and do not want outsiders on. their land, they are against tourism , the government could take it by force but that would probably mean hurting or killing people and that could mean an indigenous blow up state wide and would bring major unrest as the government is despised in general.. unless the new governor can negociate with the various areas that are against intrusion on their land, I do not think anything will happen. 

There is lots of social unrest and also lots of land conflicts and so far the government has stayed out. 

Amlo may be able to help but who knows as it is a delicate situation 

Archived