Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX install

tomgates

1 minute ago, Tiny said:

We were told by techs from Axtel and two other previous companies we have used is for our connection, the wiring to the pole is not fiber optics.  You do not need fiber for these speed. Also, just because you have fiber does not mean that you are going to have these speeds. It is up to what the company wants to offer.

Have is an interesting test with VPN.  I turned VPN on my PC and re-tested.  I do not know if installing a VPN  on a router will have the same affect.

778972328_SpeedTest2.thumb.jpg.70bda3ee2a1c874a64d04ecd67f67b93.jpg

The wire of axtel from the pole to the modem is fiber too. One string is metal to pull, the other is fiber. There are a bunch hanging in my street of old connections and you can clearly see the fibers. Also with remodeling of my house I had to cut the cable and could see the fiber. They had to come over to install a new fiber.

Axtel, totalplay and ilox all use fiber to the modem. Telmex I'm not sure up to where. 

33 minutes ago, RickS said:

Generally, the further away you are from a given VPN server the slower the speed. I noticed that you were going to Houston and back so that would add some degradation I believe.

So what city would you choose to use their servers so you get a US up address?

34 minutes ago, ednet94 said:

The wire of axtel from the pole to the modem is fiber too. One string is metal to pull, the other is fiber. There are a bunch hanging in my street of old connections and you can clearly see the fibers. Also with remodeling of my house I had to cut the cable and could see the fiber. They had to come over to install a new fiber.

Axtel, totalplay and ilox all use fiber to the modem. Telmex I'm not sure up to where. 

I said to the poles, not from the poles to the modems. Just a misunderstanding. I was just saying what the Tech's said what cabling was accross the city.

5 minutes ago, RickS said:

Sorry Tiny, I'm not a VPN user... just was making an observation about your 'decreased' speeds.

No need to say "Sorry". There is so much concerning computers now days. I have been involved with computers since 1973, back in the punch card days, and I am still learning. 

I was just surprised how much impact a VPN had on the speed. I didn't use a free VPN. I used PIA - Private Internet Access, which is constantly rated in the top 5 VPN's.

I know for most people Lakeside, the speeds are not good right now. I just wondered how much worse it is when they put a VPN on their router?

The Ping time is the important measurement here. A good VPN service automatically pick servers closest to you. But VPNs have historically slowed service down, regardless of the distance, because of how it works security. In days of yore, VPNs were used primarily for people working from home to hook up to their office servers, which in many cases were only a few miles away... and they could be excruciatingly slow. Around here, most people use VPN to try and get NetFlix or some other out-of-Mexico based streaming service, and as long as you don't get stuttering or buffering, the speed doesn't really matter. Very few people use VPN for security, which was the initial reasoning. And of course certain companies are taking nationwide ad campaigns to frighten us into paying an extra $60 to $1,200 a year for unnecessary extra security.

47 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

speed doesn't really matter

All I know is that I don't have any "stuttering or buffering" when I watch Acorn TV with the VPN on. HAHAHA

I make sure encryption is off for streaming and on for banking, etc.

All,

Here is a misc update on Ilox and some comments:

- The Ajijic office lease has been signed and will open first week in January. 

Calle Revolucion esq. Calle Victoria  
Shared parking with Plaza Buganvilias. 
Ubicación 20.299318,-103.255124

Apertura primer semana de ENERO

-  They have  also signed the lease on the main lakeside service center (trucks, services reps, etc) which will be located in Joco.   Locating in Ajijic was their first choice but turned out to be pricey.  It will take them another month or two to get that place conditioned and it will open after Ajijic office.

- Last week they received all of the set top boxes and optical splitters for the prepaid installs.  They continue to install backbone fiber.  Customer drops will start just as soon as the Ajijic office opens.  Realistically it will take a while to get all the prepaids installed but thanfully, its just execution and no big delays foreseen.  Getting reasonable real estate sited has been the biggest delay.

- Ilox is seeing a lot of interest in commercial grade Service Level Agreements from businesses area too.  They are working these accounts from their GDL office in the inter.  But clearly they have been surprised at the level of interest.  Lakeside is not the sleepy little community everyone thought. 

- For all the prepaids who have signed up the thing to do now is simply relax, enjoy the holidays, and let Ilox do their thing for a while.  We´ve waited this long.....

- Re: the comments on Telmex and the copper.   The Telmex central office in Ajijic is provisioned for what you call ADSL, which runs the Internet service over the existing copper to your house.  The problem with that is ADSL speeds deteriorate with distance.  After a few km, you can only get a few Mb download.   So what they often do is run a fiber connection to a node closer to your neighborhood, then a much shorter copper run to your house.  This is called VDSL.   VDSL can give you 20-40 Meg download easily.  My home in Rancho del Oro, several Km from Telmex office, gets about 6 Mb download on ADSL.   Los Sabinos, about 1 km further west, is on VDSL and they get 10-15 down.....Those are the breaks.

- Ilox will be running Fiber-to-the.Home (FTTH).  While some have said you don´t need it...maybe true, the advantages of the fiber connection are huge.  Moisture just doesn´t affect it.  Nor does radio interference.  You can run fiber on power poles all day.   Unless you cut it, it works.   If you are a service provider, the maintenance cost of fiber are a fraction of copper..  Which makes the economics of doing a build out a lot more attractive. 

- If you have Telmex DSL service and suffer from slow speeds, the problem might be a noisy cable pair, caused by deterioration due to surges.  Telmex doesn´t put primary surge protectors on the subscriber side, but they do seem willing to change out modems..Go figure.  You can fix this problem by installing your own surge protector.  Here´s a paper on it:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JUpRtC9Ki3cJCF4NtmjG_71haS8oRZUnnaljOx3pG2Y/edit?usp=sharing  .

- It has been really great to see comments about other fiber projects going on.  Whether they be Telecable or Telmex.  Spidernet I think is doing fiber east of Chapala.  Perhaps the threat of Ilox competition is moving these guys.  Whatever.  Hopefully a rising tide will lift all boats.  Telmex has a lot of the gated communities locked up with their monopolization of the underground ducts.  They´ve  started quoting fiber to a few of them  Residents there will have to figure out if they want to trench and add Ilox or switch to Telmex fiber, or something.  If they do nothing, they risk seeing their property values affected vs. those places getting fiber.  

- 2019 should be interesting!  

Tom

Great update Tom!

After a week of no internet and the usual TelMex runaround we are definitely planning to make the switch if the service is reliable, unlike Izzy.

I went to their site and it appears we can have a service that is multiples of TelMex speed and a phone line for the same cost as the poor service we have now.  They have already installed on our street so it shouldn't be too hard to get connected once the original set up is completed.

The leaky boat of TelMex doesn't seem to be taking note of the new competition yet.  :D

Fingers crossed...

Just a note: VDSL does not require fiber. It operates over copper up to a distance of 1,200 meters. That is why certain areas now have speeds up to 40 Mbps without fiber (ADSL on copper is only good up to about 8 or 9), with no infrastructure upgrades. That being said, the use of fiber to the neighbourhood overcomes a lot of the distance problems, and is generally preferable in any case.

Tom, thanks so much for the report, and putting together all the disparate things that are going on into one place.

3 hours ago, tkessler said:

All,

Here is a misc update on Ilox and some comments:

- The Ajijic office lease has been signed and will open first week in January. 

Calle Revolucion esq. Calle Victoria  
Shared parking with Plaza Buganvilias. 
Ubicación 20.299318,-103.255124

Apertura primer semana de ENERO

-  They have  also signed the lease on the main lakeside service center (trucks, services reps, etc) which will be located in Joco.   Locating in Ajijic was their first choice but turned out to be pricey.  It will take them another month or two to get that place conditioned and it will open after Ajijic office.

- Last week they received all of the set top boxes and optical splitters for the prepaid installs.  They continue to install backbone fiber.  Customer drops will start just as soon as the Ajijic office opens.  Realistically it will take a while to get all the prepaids installed but thanfully, its just execution and no big delays foreseen.  Getting reasonable real estate sited has been the biggest delay.

- Ilox is seeing a lot of interest in commercial grade Service Level Agreements from businesses area too.  They are working these accounts from their GDL office in the inter.  But clearly they have been surprised at the level of interest.  Lakeside is not the sleepy little community everyone thought. 

- For all the prepaids who have signed up the thing to do now is simply relax, enjoy the holidays, and let Ilox do their thing for a while.  We´ve waited this long.....

- Re: the comments on Telmex and the copper.   The Telmex central office in Ajijic is provisioned for what you call ADSL, which runs the Internet service over the existing copper to your house.  The problem with that is ADSL speeds deteriorate with distance.  After a few km, you can only get a few Mb download.   So what they often do is run a fiber connection to a node closer to your neighborhood, then a much shorter copper run to your house.  This is called VDSL.   VDSL can give you 20-40 Meg download easily.  My home in Rancho del Oro, several Km from Telmex office, gets about 6 Mb download on ADSL.   Los Sabinos, about 1 km further west, is on VDSL and they get 10-15 down.....Those are the breaks.

- Ilox will be running Fiber-to-the.Home (FTTH).  While some have said you don´t need it...maybe true, the advantages of the fiber connection are huge.  Moisture just doesn´t affect it.  Nor does radio interference.  You can run fiber on power poles all day.   Unless you cut it, it works.   If you are a service provider, the maintenance cost of fiber are a fraction of copper..  Which makes the economics of doing a build out a lot more attractive. 

- If you have Telmex DSL service and suffer from slow speeds, the problem might be a noisy cable pair, caused by deterioration due to surges.  Telmex doesn´t put primary surge protectors on the subscriber side, but they do seem willing to change out modems..Go figure.  You can fix this problem by installing your own surge protector.  Here´s a paper on it:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JUpRtC9Ki3cJCF4NtmjG_71haS8oRZUnnaljOx3pG2Y/edit?usp=sharing  .

- It has been really great to see comments about other fiber projects going on.  Whether they be Telecable or Telmex.  Spidernet I think is doing fiber east of Chapala.  Perhaps the threat of Ilox competition is moving these guys.  Whatever.  Hopefully a rising tide will lift all boats.  Telmex has a lot of the gated communities locked up with their monopolization of the underground ducts.  They´ve  started quoting fiber to a few of them  Residents there will have to figure out if they want to trench and add Ilox or switch to Telmex fiber, or something.  If they do nothing, they risk seeing their property values affected vs. those places getting fiber.  

- 2019 should be interesting!  

Tom

In gated communities if all the folks throw out Telmex and remove their cables from those ducts, they should be used to run the Illox Fiber cables saving thousands.

22 hours ago, geeser said:

In gated communities if all the folks throw out Telmex and remove their cables from those ducts, they should be used to run the Illox Fiber cables saving thousands.

I'd say the chances of that happening are about the same as Telmex installing fiber.

SunFan

• 2 weeks later...

The ILOX truck and a bunch of men have been hanging cable along the carretera between the waterfront restaurants and the Racquet Club entrance the last couple of days. They were doing the same near La Floresta a couple of weeks ago. It's good to see lots of activity although it's hard to speculate how close they are to completing the run along the carretera.

11 hours ago, John Shrall said:

The ILOX truck and a bunch of men have been hanging cable along the carretera between the waterfront restaurants and the Racquet Club entrance

I believe the Racquet Club is served by telephone/power poles (rather than buried lines).  May I ask, will Ilox be installed in RC properties at the top of the hill that have subscribed?  Thanks.

Archived