Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX install

tomgates

yes competition  has forced Telmex to speed up the fiber installation

we just attended a meeting of our complex  We are collecting info and prices from both ilox and telmex, they are slow. in getting us details 

should have info in a few months

hopefully we can make a decision sometime before  year end  2019, which one to choose.

51 minutes ago, traderspoc said:

yes competition  has forced Telmex to speed up the fiber installation

Many of us that signed up for ILOX service early on believed that a new player in town was going to be the only way to wake up the 2 providers. While Telecable's speed has not increased the reliability has improved dramatically over the last 3 or 4 months. My modem used to reboot itself every hour or so for no apparent reason making VOIP communication impossible. The lights have been on solid for months. Speeds would range from the contracted 10mb down to dial up throughout the day. Now it is a solid 10mb down 2mb up all day, every day.

If ILOX speed claims actually pan out and they prove to be a true competitor to Telmex & Telecable, expect more changes from those 2 that will benefit everyone. Competition or even the threat of it makes businesses take notice and improve their product.

Telmex speed and reliability haven't improved at all in Las Salvias. It appears their focus is east of town, at least for the moment.

2 hours ago, bmh said:

Yesterday a Temex repairman told me they were installing fiber optic lines and that they were upgrading the reception with TAB . Anyone knows if it  is true?

Telmex already has fiber installed and has had for the last 20 years, what people fail to realize is that fiber only goes to the junction boxes and is then distributed from there via copper. The fiber you see with yellow labels on the telephone polls  that do say "fibra optica" are used to distribute to the cell phone towers.

Having said that, if Telmex does install Fiber optic close to a residential community (development), it will run up to the distribution box and then be fed via copper.

For example, the instituto international school on the libramiento paid Telmex for better Internet, and yes Telmex ran fiber along the libramiento and then ran copper from the highway up to the school. The school did in fact pay for the infrastructure, but Telmex uses those installs to its advantage and in this case ran more copper to the other schools on the libramiento.

The only way you will get fiber is if you pay for it and it is physically installed on your property, it's not cheap, but when I did it years ago in 1997 it cost me about 15,000 U.S. But that way Telmex did not have access to using my infrastructure, had I had it run just to a junction box on the street and then copper, they would of had access to distribute it any way they wanted.

I did not get what TAB was exactly but it sounded like some type of equipment that relays the signal or make it stronger. The repairman said that they had installed it around the main church in Ajijic and that the speed and reception was better there but he did not know wich area was next . Amazing.. last year they had no plan to improve anything, yes competition is great.  

you would think that they would let people k ow what they will be doing next..

i ll make a decision in May  on how we will go.meanwhile i am canceling telecable and keep the low price  plan on telmex since the higher price does not mean better service.. Down in chiapas i will try Megacable sonce telmex service is awful

tjanks to theposters for the info

Rod, while I am aware that you were the original provider of the Internet to Lakeside (THANK YOU!), I'm wondering if you might be wrong about 'fiber to the house' with respect to the new provider ILOX. It is my understanding that they will be, in fact, running fiber to the casa and not just to the street w/copper the remaining way. Maybe someone that actually knows will chime in.

35 minutes ago, RickS said:

Rod, while I am aware that you were the original provider of the Internet to Lakeside (THANK YOU!), I'm wondering if you might be wrong about 'fiber to the house' with respect to the new provider ILOX. It is my understanding that they will be, in fact, running fiber to the casa and not just to the street w/copper the remaining way. Maybe someone that actually knows will chime in.

Yes, Ilox will be running fiber just like Telecable (Izzi), not the same as Telmex but it is a fibre like coax cable. They will use either single or multi mode. So, yes just like Telecable, Ilox will run their infrastructure straight into the fracs and homes.

There is a big difference between the fibre the cable companies are running as opposed to what Telmex or other Telcos run, in that besides handling huge amounts of data they are also handling thousands of simultaneous data calls as well. Sure a lot has changed because Telmex has changed a lot of their old analog and digital cards to VOIP modules.

While I have not said much as far as Ilox coming in infrastructure will get better, Telmex is very strategic, when I was in business they would wait and see how many subscribers i could get in a certain area say Raquet Club, Jocotepec, once they see the demand is there they will open up the flood gates and and improve the infrastructure (more speed, better service), but they take a wait and see approach. I am assuming Ilox knows this, and they should have deep pockets to overcome any of these kinds of obstacles.

imho, Telmex in Ajijic has done a lot to damage their image by the games they play. Many of us who signed up for iLox have had many run ins with Telmex and I, for one, will not forget their despicable service and attitude. I can hardly wait to tell Telmex where to put their service. Hasta la vista, baby.

21 minutes ago, Ferret said:

imho, Telmex in Ajijic has done a lot to damage their image by the games they play. Many of us who signed up for iLox have had many run ins with Telmex and I, for one, will not forget their despicable service and attitude. I can hardly wait to tell Telmex where to put their service. Hasta la vista, baby.

We signed up for TelMex in April 2017 when we moved to our new (to us) house in Ajijic.  We pay for the 10 MG plan (389 pesos) but we are ratcheted back to a max of 5MB  even though our neighbors get 10MB for the same price.  Local TelMex office told us they do this routinely to new customers.  We called TelMex in Mexico City and they implied that it seemed unusual to them, but said our problem lies with local office.  I had thought of filing with Profeco as we are being charged for something they will not give us.  But TelMex's "out" seems to be their contract verbiage that reads, "speeds UP TO...."  

If we got a dependable 5MB it wouldn't be so bad, but it is up and down like a yo-yo, especially in the past few months.

Waiting on ILOX....wish they'd give an update to pre-signers.  

I too had a TelMex worker here the other day who was installing fiber in Chapala, and figured they would make it to Riberas by March or so next year. Both Ilox and TelMex are doing FTTH or FTTP (fiber to the home or fiber to the premises) which includes, as the name suggests, fiber to your house.

In my Seattle condo, we have fiber to a distribution point on every other floor. The final 50 to 150 feet (I'm not sure how many feet, just a guess), is by 2 of the 4 wires of my telephone line. I am paying for 100 mb/sec up and down and I get about 90 down by about 70 up, which is much (MUCH)  faster than I need.

My point? You may want but do not need fiber optics all the way to your modem.

48 minutes ago, johanson said:

In my Seattle condo, we have fiber to a distribution point on every other floor. The final 50 to 150 feet (I'm not sure how many feet, just a guess), is by 2 of the 4 wires of my telephone line. I am paying for 100 mb/sec up and down and I get about 90 down by about 70 up, which is much (MUCH)  faster than I need.

Very true about not needing fiber optics all the way.  I have been told it is only fiber to the house. This is what I am getting in GDL for around 600p a month.

122990309_SpeedTest.thumb.jpg.b3494bbc7faf30f9344e4aa79a5d51a1.jpg

That is great. I am paying $60 US per month in Seattle and I am only up north 3 to 4 months per year. And I have to pay for that whether I am up there or not. (No discounts given for vacation time). What is the advertised speed that you are paying 600 pesos per month for?

15 minutes ago, johanson said:

That is great. I am paying $60 US per month in Seattle and I am only up north 3 to 4 months per year. And I have to pay for that whether I am up there or not. (No discounts given for vacation time). What is the advertised speed that you are paying 600 pesos per month for?

The advertised speed will be 100mbps up/down. I have the same one of axtel. It has fiber all the way to the modem. Ilox will be the same with fiber till the modem.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

Ah, but Pete there is a ton of difference between the copper wiring inside your condo from the distribution cabinet and the wiring from the street at Lakeside!  Old telephone wiring with old connections.... all outside. Until it gets inside your casa where it meets with maybe even older copper wiring running through who knows where/what and spliced how many times and maybe even 'hit with a nail here and there or run along- side wire mesh for the walls'....  before it finally gets to your TelMex modem at the desk. BIG difference.

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

Service and reliability is the key.  Right now our TelMex is down and has been so for nearly a week.  The promised service has yet to arrive.  Still, I'm wary because of the generally poor results with Izzy's service.  This is the first prolonged outage we've had with TexMex in at least 5 years, maybe longer as I can't remember.

I guess I am lucky. My Telmex line comes directly from the pole to my home which was rebuilt in 2008.And according to the Telmex computers, I am 1070 meters away from my Dslam card. Volunteering at Lagunanet, the first internet provider lakeside, I understood the importance of a good connection between the pole and my modem, and the part I was responsible for was done correctly. And my Ajijic speeds may be slow compared to Tiny or my speeds up north, they are pretty good for Ajijic.

And yes Ricks, the wiring between the street in front of my house and the Ajijic office, although pretty good by Ajijic standards, could be a lot better. Oh well. I remember when I thought dialup was fast up north because we had only 28.6 kbits/sec not megabits per second down by a little faster up lakeside when internet was first offered in about May of 1997 and up north I believe it was about 56 Kbits per second

I just read your post, Mainecoons. Sorry to hear that. I guess I have been lucky. It has been a long time since I have had an outage for more than a few housr.  Luckily, like you, I think, I have Telecable as a backup, which didn't used to be very reliable but seems to be getting better all the time. Now only if they would offer me more than  5 Mbits/sec.

Yes, that was in the good ole days. 56kb was the maximum available speeds with the protocols of the day. Reality was more like 40-45kb with those modems but it was better than 28.6kb.... or nothing!

Ironically.... or not!.... there are places in the US who still do NOT have broadband and are still doing dial-up. I can't imagine how long today's typical webpage with lots of graphics must take to load!

20 minutes ago, ednet94 said:

The advertised speed will be 100mbps up/down. I have the same one of axtel. It has fiber all the way to the modem. Ilox will be the same with fiber till the modem.

We were told by techs from Axtel and two other previous companies we have used is for our connection, the wiring to the pole is not fiber optics.  You do not need fiber for these speed. Also, just because you have fiber does not mean that you are going to have these speeds. It is up to what the company wants to offer.

Have is an interesting test with VPN.  I turned VPN on my PC and re-tested.  I do not know if installing a VPN  on a router will have the same affect.

778972328_SpeedTest2.thumb.jpg.70bda3ee2a1c874a64d04ecd67f67b93.jpg

Archived