Chapala.com Webboard

Lamb Shanks .... What is Local Term to Use at Carniceria?

Bisbee Gal

Maybe I'll take that chart.  Chamorro (pork shank) is common here and Osso Buco (veal shank) is not that unusual either, so I am hoping butchers will know where the shank of a lamb is.  Though I realize meat cuts here are not always the same as NOB cuts.  Think I'll start with Tony's in SAT.

Just an FYI. I have found it very difficult to find lamb here in Mexico. I hope you have better success. However, there used to be a lady at the Tuesday Market from whom you could get it and I believe her name was Maggie Gaudet. Perhaps others would know or remember.

That is the gal. I have her email and phone number if anyone is interested. I believe there is also a very fine lady in Joco who sells lamb, amongst other "organic" meats, at the Tuesday market now. I can get that information.

I find the lamb here, and the same with local raised lamb in Canada, to be very bland, more like veal. This compared to New Zealand/Australian lamb. If you are making curries or Lancashire Hot Pot, buy the neck bones, I am sure very few people ask for them here.

I believe the foreleg and the tip of the back leg to be considered shank.  As with all meats the forage the animals eat has much to do with taste.  Although I am not an expert I know most of the sheep in Australia and New Zealand came from England while I am sure the sheep in Mexico came from Spain.  I suspect there is a breed difference between the countries and thus a difference in taste.  I would suspect the sheep in Canada came from England as well.  I never ate sheep until I was in Australia and there it was so cheap I had to.  The barbie was the favorite way to cook there and I barbequed it  just like I was doing pork and it turned out quite well.  They also did a stuffed roast I liked.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.  I ordered them at Tony's; fast fulfillment, just a few days.  The printed label on them read, "Chamorro de Cordero."  Price was 184 per kilo and the two shanks weighed in at a hair under 1 kilo.

I made them Moroccan-style with chickpeas and the flavor of the shanks stood up to the spices.  They were falling-off-the-bone tender and the flavor was the same as what we buy in the US, though I have no idea of the lamb's country of origin, here or there.  

I highly recommend and would buy them again.

Archived