Chapala.com Webboard

Cold weather warning

johanson

I still don’t think that is for Lakeside proper but probably GDL.

As a test why doesn’t someone write down the forecast from above (say, next 5 days) and compare it with the acutal temperatures that will come from stations at Lakeside.  Anyone up to the challenge?

It is my understanding that the actual weather report for lakeside comes from the Guadalajara airport with adjustments made because of the large heat sink (Lake Chapala) which gives off heat when the water is much warmer than the cold air and much cooler during the summer during the very hot weather.

They say that the lake can warm the air up to 5 degrees F during a very cold night and lower up to 5 degrees F during a very hot day.

So the weather forecast for the coldest nights at the airport is adjusted upwards up to 5 degrees and the opposite for forecast of very hot weather. There are next to no corrections when the hot air or cold air projection is close to the temperature of the lake.

Maybe 15 years ago there was a weather channel for Mexico like we have up north and there was an actual weather station near the lake on the West side of Chapala. But when the Weather Channel for Mexico closed down, any weather forecast was based on not the Chapala site but the closest official site which is at the GDL airport.

On 12/12/2018 at 11:27 AM, AngusMactavish said:

Chapala, Mexico 10 Day Weather

11:17 am CST
Print
DAY

DESCRIPTION HIGH / LOW PRECIP WIND HUMIDITY
TODAY

DEC 12 ACTUAL:  73.7   59.4
Mostly Cloudy
73°51°
0%
WSW 9 mph 48%
THU

DEC 13  ACTUAL:  72.7   59.4
Partly Cloudy
72°44°
10%
W 7 mph 56%
FRI

DEC 14 ACTUAL:  69.7   56.7
Partly Cloudy
68°39°
0%
NE 6 mph 43%
SAT

DEC 15 ACTUAL:  63.8  50.3
Sunny
69°43°
0%
ENE 5 mph 33%
SUN

DEC 16
Partly Cloudy
70°45°
0%
ENE 4 mph 42%
MON

DEC 17
Partly Cloudy
72°47°
0%
ENE 4 mph 45%
TUE

DEC 18
Partly Cloudy
72°49°
0%
SE 5 mph 53%
WED

DEC 19
Partly Cloudy
70°46°
0%
SSW 7 mph 56%
THU

DEC 20
Partly Cloudy
67°46°
10%
ESE 5 mph 58%
FRI

DEC 21
Mostly Sunny
67°44°
20%
ESE 6 mph 59%
SAT

DEC 22
Partly Cloudy
70°45°
20%
SE 4 mph 59%
SUN

DEC 23
Partly Cloudy
71°46°
10%
SSE 5 mph 58%
MON

DEC 24
Partly Cloudy
72°48°
20%
SE 4 mph 62%
TUE

DEC 25
Partly Cloudy
72°47°
20%
ESE 4 mph 62%
WED

DEC 26
Mostly Sunny
74°49°
0%
ESE 4 mph 59%

THE INSERTED RED NUMBERS ARE FROM WWW.AJIJIC WEATHER.COM

Me too. And all I know at the top of Ajijic (only the woods and a steep hill behind me) that the weather forecast is usually pretty close most of the time. I sure hope that they are wrong about tonight though :  37 F or 2 to 3 C is too cold for me down here in my non insulated home.

Way to go Bisbee Gal....  if you could/would do that for a few more days it would be nice.

So one can see that, in the last 3 days anyway, the nighttime forecasted temps are nowhere near the actual temps ‘on the ground’ in Ajijic.  I suspect, but don’t have proof, that the big lake is responsible for the difference. 

I get up at about 7 AM and I too will do a couple of days of checking and posting my results in upper Ajijic just above Las Salvias, especially tonight and or tomorrow morning when it is suggest that we will reach the high 30s or low 40s. I'm guessing that I will be no lower than the low 50s. At least I hope that is the case. :) 

EDIT temperature update

Sat morning checked between 6:50 and 8 AM           51 F

Just for interest sake, I got up at 6:45 and put my inside thermometer (not rain or weather proof) outside. It was reading 21 Celsius inside. 45 minutes later outside, it was reading 9 Celsius.

I am so happy to have upgraded my windows and the skylight in the atrium. The difference in temperature indoors has been dramatic and worth every penny.

I rode my moto back from Tula, NE of Mexico City yesterday.  When I got up there was frost on the bike.  I layered up, even neck warmer, thinking I would be removing layers as I rode west.  First thing encountered, very cold and dense fog until the second toll booth on Mexico 15D.  Then strong cold winds.  To make a long story short, I never removed any of the warmies all the way home!

The  www.ajijicweather.com measured a low of 50.3 F.  So we all measured about the same. Why this weather forecast is always so far off, suggests that they are basing there projection from weather station data from somewhere else perhaps at the GDL airport.. Does anyone know where?

7 minutes ago, johanson said:

The  www.ajijicweather.com measured a low of 50.3 F.  So we all measured about the same. Why this weather forecast is always so far off, suggests that they are basing there projection from weather station data from somewhere else perhaps at the GDL airport.. Does anyone know where?

Pete, if you go back to the beginning of this thread you will see that Bisbee Gal Posted that the ajijicweather site ‘says’ that their forecast temps relate to the GDL airport. Elsewhere I have seen before from, like Accuweather, the same ‘disclaimer’.  It has been this way ‘forever’ and I was just wondering if these days some legitimate weather ‘forecaster’ might be reporting for Lakeside proper.... but that appears to not be the case. Not surprising I guess. This mornings temps, verified by you and Bisbee Gal and Tom pretty much confirm that at least morning forecast temps for Lakeside cannot be relied upon to be accurate. 

I guess the reason I was that somewhere I read or thought I read that people taking the weather forecast data from the GDL Airport would always add 5 degrees F to the cold weather projections during the winter and subtract 5 degrees F during the summer because of the effects created by that great "heat sink", lake Chapala. and this weather forecast did not seem to do that.

I have always in interested in the topic of weather, but I have to admit I know almost nothing about the topic.

Hey everyone. I am the owner of the ajijicweather.com website. It's very simple. The temps, humidity etc.. from my site all come from Rancho del Oro. The instruments are very "NOAA" approved. I can get into details about "fan aspirated" temperatures (which I have)  but I think my temps and humidity are valid. Maybe another day I will tell you where and how much above the roof the sensors are, to make readings valid. Life is great here. Lets have fun.

Just remember that my weather site is divided into two data gathering sites. First my own data (on the top of the site) which is Rancho Del Oro, gathered over 8 years and current every day every 5 minutes. The lower portion of the site is data taken from accuweather.com from the Guadalajara airport.. Which I have noted on the main page. 

7 hours ago, mexbound said:

Hey everyone. I am the owner of the ajijicweather.com website. It's very simple. The temps, humidity etc.. from my site all come from Rancho del Oro. The instruments are very "NOAA" approved. I can get into details about "fan aspirated" temperatures (which I have)  but I think my temps and humidity are valid. Maybe another day I will tell you where and how much above the roof the sensors are, to make readings valid. Life is great here. Lets have fun.

Just remember that my weather site is divided into two data gathering sites. First my own data (on the top of the site) which is Rancho Del Oro, gathered over 8 years and current every day every 5 minutes. The lower portion of the site is data taken from accuweather.com from the Guadalajara airport.. Which I have noted on the main page. 

Mil gracias!  It's a valuable service for the community.  I am in lower Ajijic (one block from shoreline) and my weather station runs 1 to 3 degrees higher than yours which I attribute to the altitude differences between us and my non-professional equipment and placement thereof.  Again, thanks for taking on this task.   

Archived