Chapala.com Webboard

New Ticks in Area?

Just had our very sick puppy to Ladron for a diagnosis.  He said he has seen about 6 cases so far of infections from a new strain of tick (to this area of Mexico).  He thinks they are coming down from the US on imported horses.  The propagation is likely due to the abnormally wet season we have had this year.  Just an FYI to watch out for it.

Heartworm meds can only be given if your dog is tested and is negative before you initiate treatment. But many DO give heartworm meds...... so curious about why you think not, unless of course your dog is not tested. (Heartworm also probably arrived via infected dogs from the north, but it has been several years since it first started to show up.)

Symptoms included sharp yelps due to pain when trying to jump up on the couch, lack of interest in eating or drinking, sleeping a lot, short breaths (almost a shallow pant) and generally no vitality (normally very active - some Husky content).  Ladron reported an enlarged spleen and liver which could be fatal if ruptured.  Initial blood tests show elevated levels of immune deficiency. Advised to try and prevent the dog from jumping up/down and prescribed medicine to try and reduce infection.  More comprehensive blood test results should be back by Friday to identify which species of tick this was due to.

Good news is that after 2 days on the meds she is doing much better and is eating and drinking now.

Like WideSky said, the rainfall has been pretty average this year. If interested you can see exactly how much rain we have had in Ajijic, by going to www.ajijicweather.com So far this year this weather station recorded 32.23 inches and last year we had 30.29 inches. However, in 2016 we had more rain than usual, just over 40 inches.

Natasha, I have not given our dogs heartworm medication because I was advised by one of the highly recommended Vets that it was not necessary as heartworm was not a problem here.  If that has changed, he has not informed me of such.  I will be asking his advice.  I do know they have to be tested first, otherwise they can become very sick and possibly die.

20 hours ago, Wookie said:

Natasha, I have not given our dogs heartworm medication because I was advised by one of the highly recommended Vets that it was not necessary as heartworm was not a problem here.  If that has changed, he has not informed me of such.  I will be asking his advice.  I do know they have to be tested first, otherwise they can become very sick and possibly die.

Well, Wookie, you may well be right. My info goes back to 2005 - 2010 period, when many people were using "Revolution" which deals with  parasites and heartworm because in those days there were "some" dogs showing up with heartworm, where it had been thought not to be here before. (Interesting aside --- ONE heartworm is enough to kill a cat!)

Similar to Feline Leukemia --- virtually unknown here prior to a bad outbreak in 2004, and  "up and down" levels ever since. Personally know it was still around in San Antonio 3 years ago and no reason to think it has suddenly  disappeared. Yet Guad rescue people have NEVER had FeLV be a problem --- not in 2004, and not to this day.  They do random tests  in one group I know, and almost never find a positive! So pretty good evidence it arrived via "immigrant" cats from north.

Archived