Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
VC1180

Help: Anxiety

Recommended Posts

I am suffering with Anxiety/Depression issues.I have been consulting a doctor here though consultation is a bit expensive. Would like to know do we have any centers that offer free/discounted treatment for Anxiety .It would be really helpful if you recommend me something that available in GD.

 

Thanks a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get on some of the Facebook pages for Guadalajara if you aren't already.  MexPATS Guadalajara is a good one.  There are several Facebook pages for expat medical students and their spouses.  I have seen these issues discussed on those pages.  Even the Indian technology worker Facebook pages mention the problem.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I AM NOT A DOCTOR. You will need a prescription. Try Clomazepam. One at night  will help you sleep and the drug is an anti anxiety med. There is Adivan but it has been linked to memory issues and much more costly.  also as mention above I use Red wine.  Good luck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vetteforron said:

I AM NOT A DOCTOR. You will need a prescription. Try Clomazepam. One at night  will help you sleep and the drug is an anti anxiety med. There is Adivan but it has been linked to memory issues and much more costly.  also as mention above I use Red wine.  Good luck.

KLONOPIN - MORE DEADLY THAN COKE

https://www.benzo.org.uk/nicks.htm

Clonazepam, sold under the brand name Klonopin among others, is a medication used to prevent and treat seizures, panic disorder, and for the movement disorder known as akathisia. It is a tranquilizer of the benzodiazepine class. It is taken by mouth. Wikipedia

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tiny bit of overreaction Alpha 1.  I have taken (by prescription) generic Clonazepam for several years.  Have been able to reduce dose from one tablet (2 mg) to 1/3 tab per night.  But trust me..... if the difference a chance of being "addicted" vs. not sleeping at all..... I'll take the risk!

Whether it's the best drug for anxiety/depression is another question.  Sertalina comes to mind as an option (50 mg tab) and does not require prescription.  Generic form is inexpensive  in places like Farmacia Guadalajara (but strangeley not cheap in Walmart???)    

VC 1180 --- read about both on www.webmd.com  and study all info.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Tiny bit of overreaction Alpha 1.  I have taken (by prescription) generic Clonazepam for several years.  Have been able to reduce dose from one tablet (2 mg) to 1/3 tab per night.  But trust me..... if the difference a chance of being "addicted" vs. not sleeping at all..... I'll take the risk!

Whether it's the best drug for anxiety/depression is another question.  Sertalina comes to mind as an option (50 mg tab) and does not require prescription.  Generic form is inexpensive  in places like Farmacia Guadalajara (but strangeley not cheap in Walmart???)    

VC 1180 --- read about both on www.webmd.com  and study all info.        

Natasha respectfully accept your choice, and I'm not to state to anyone what or what not to take. I know of the consequences, and I don't think I wish to risk it. Other safer solutions are available IMHO.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also not a doctor. I would recommend you look into a medicine called gabapentina. Treating anxiety and sleep disorders is an off label use, but will cause you at lot less risk than benzos, alcohol or cannabis. Another off label use, highly recommended by many (gabbys), is a reduction of cravings for alcohol leading into sobriety.

I beleive that cannabis should not be used for anxiety, but many do not hold to that view.

Just throwing this out there, if anyone is interested in coming into next year sober.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/psychiatry/addictions/42714

https://www.drugs.com/comments/gabapentin/for-alcohol-withdrawal.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

KLONOPIN - MORE DEADLY THAN COKE

https://www.benzo.org.uk/nicks.htm

Clonazepam, sold under the brand name Klonopin among others, is a medication used to prevent and treat seizures, panic disorder, and for the movement disorder known as akathisia. It is a tranquilizer of the benzodiazepine class. It is taken by mouth. Wikipedia

 

Works for me and I have stopped many times and tried other over the counter stuff. The trick as with  drugs like pain killers and others is know which kind of alcohol to wash it down with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vetteforron said:

Works for me and I have stopped many times and tried other over the counter stuff. The trick as with  drugs like pain killers and others is know which kind of alcohol to wash it down with.

".....which kind of alcohol to wash it down with......."   Certainly hope this is a tongue-in-cheek remark. Alcohol should never be used with this, or many other drugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, none of these people are doctors and shouldn't be suggesting medications. There are a lot of variables that impact how they work for different people. Consult one of the generally competent young doctors who keep clinic hours at some of the pharmacies and at places like Walmart where they charge $50pesos for a consult. There are a lot of non-pharmaceutical solutions for anxiety and sleep deprivation that you could try first. And no, not a doctor but a psych nurse from a teaching hospital with significant experience of what happens when you embark on a course of meds without guidance. Good luck.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can vouch for gabapentina. Can buy without prescription and not expensive if you buy the generic. I take it for a few months of the year when a condition I have (brachial radial pruritis) flares up in the hot humid summers. It stops the itching of that disease, but the added benefit is that it makes you sleep well, altho you can feel a bit groggy in the morning. I don't experience any ill effects from going on and off it as needed.

Of course, as with all medications, one should research side effects and contra-indications regarding other drugs you may be taking or other conditions yo may have before trying.

FYI, alcohol actually keeps me awake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Natasha said:

".....which kind of alcohol to wash it down with......."   Certainly hope this is a tongue-in-cheek remark. Alcohol should never be used with this, or many other drugs.

Yes! A Joke!

46422838_10217640282021924_6903363246246330368_n.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

KLONOPIN - MORE DEADLY THAN COKE

https://www.benzo.org.uk/nicks.htm

Clonazepam, sold under the brand name Klonopin among others, is a medication used to prevent and treat seizures, panic disorder, and for the movement disorder known as akathisia. It is a tranquilizer of the benzodiazepine class. It is taken by mouth. Wikipedia

 

Probably the most evil drug known to man. for many harder to get off of klonopin or xanax than heroin. Google benzo withdrawal syndrome. .You can read some of the horror stories about getting off benzos here....http://benzobuddies.org/

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be very careful. My brother had a good job, wife, two kids. Said he had anxiety/depression problems which led to a drinking problem which led to a GP doctor who put him on anti depressant. Wow. Now he could do anything. No fear. Manic, lost job, wife, kids, living homeless in Florida.

I have bad panic attacks and have medicine to use if I am going into a stressful situation which I have used a couple of times the last five years. Fear has kept me from doing a lot of stupid things.

You have to work on the many things you can do to help yourself without drugs. Don't forget Jesus and if drinking is a part of the problem, AA.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 5:36 PM, VC1180 said:

I am suffering with Anxiety/Depression issues.I have been consulting a doctor here though consultation is a bit expensive. Would like to know do we have any centers that offer free/discounted treatment for Anxiety .It would be really helpful if you recommend me something that available in GD.

 

Thanks a lot!

Ask a doctor about Amitriptylin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Good one. 

Google is my friend in need.  I always surf my ailments.  You know I'm doubtful about doctors around here.  They're more like those guys who sell autos on the tele after midnight.  I doubt during their education at UNAM they never have an election called, Bedside Manner.

Who are the doctors you have seen here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnnyintrouble, that has not been my experience with doctors here. Either I have been very lucky or you have been very unlucky. Maybe a bit of both. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Funny how we assume doctors are the kindest most studious people in the World.  Doctors demand and receive a lot of respect.  They continue to study their entire lives.  At least that's what we're taught.  But sometimes if you draw the glittering curtain, you and Toto might get a surprise.   

Maybe working around death, pain and misery for a few decades hardens you up.  Or maybe you were never soft to begin with, and your care-giving nature is no more than sublimation.  Doctors here are likely prescribing whatever meds they happen to stock.  Or those with the highest profit margins.

And yes, I agree.  Joe Lunchbox shouldn't be giving pharma advice.  We all have our own chemistry and biology.  And if a doctor assumes he knows yours without sufficient questioning and lab testing don't walk, run.  You're not in Kansas anymore.   Take two aspirins and get some rest, or a mother's helping of chicken soup.

I think it is safe to say that doctors behavior is part their basic personality and their specialty. I worked with oncologist, quite a young man. He would never get any closer to a patient's bed then at the end. All conversation was conducted with him at the end of the bed. Then he would wash his hands, even though he never touched the person. On day he told a woman she was to have chemo starting the next day. And exited before she could reply. She started crying because she didn't want to loose her hair. As it happened it would not have caused hair loss, I told her  but she wanted to hear it from the doctor. I went and told the doctor and he said "you are in charge of TLC"  I finally convinced him to go and tell her. I asked other nurses why he was so cold to patients. They said when he first started he got too close to his patients and if they died, he just couldn't cope. I wondered why he just didn't go into another field, like radiology . Even though I was a nurse clinical specialist, in those days ( white cap, white uniforms, shoes etc.,) you didn't confront doctors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Well, I dress down, don't bathe every day, don't own a car, live in a shack, a non target.  I've been to a couple of good dentists though. 

I have no idea what your first sentence means. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...