Chapala.com Webboard

Adios Pemex....Hola BP

Bisbee Gal

Looks like this, but without the BP initials (or any other words) when we went by....they seemed to have just started on it as the other portions of signage still said Pemex.  Gas station closed and boarded off, but their little store is open.  

image.png.0010d9cd44e938a5fd0044144076e088.png

The issue is if they sell "litros completos" as not all gas stations do so. A quick assement is if  few or many nationals are fueling there.

Enforcement of weights and measurementsis imperfect  .  .  .  with gasoline and more gas liquidado.

Maybe some of new gasoline franchises will pay attention.

Well - AMLO has pledged 9.4 billion (I assume dollars) for PEMEX upgrades. Mexico's refineries are running at 40% capacity. He is honoring 160 billion in exploration contracts by foreign companies, who will then pay 20% to Mexico off their discoveries. There is also a massive new oil shale find in Northeastern Mexico

This is a fairly well balanced report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/the-energy-202/2018/08/01/the-energy-202-amlo-seeks-to-rejuvenate-mexico-s-pemex/5b605ad41b326b0207955e6b/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2d32dbcd43b6

The driver mentioned something about BP coupons, which reward frequent users, not just volumes. He says he builds benefits by only filling small amounts at a time. Something like that.

The BP and Shell stations I have seen in GDL are the most expensive, at least for premium gas.  I am surprised that in Ajijic all of the stations here charge less than GDL.  I would have thought with the large population there and the competition, that prices would be lower than here.  Go figure!!

7 minutes ago, Arroyos said:

The BP and Shell stations I have seen in GDL are the most expensive, at least for premium gas.

I have heard that the reason is to recover the costs of the additives they use that are not in the Pemex supplied gas.

EDIT TO ADD:

BP gasoline additives

BP gasoline contains a list of additives. Detergents, dispersants, and fuel-deposit-control additives help clean and prevent engine deposits. Rust and corrosion is prevented with corrosion inhibitors and metal deactivators. Antioxidants prevent the breaking down of gasoline and stabilizers ready fuel for storage.

Shell Gasoline additives

Shell gasoline is Nitrogen enriched, which work as a cleaning agent for your injectors and fuel system. It is an additive that is designed by Shell oil co. Every major brand oil companies have their own brand of additives that they add to their fuel and mostly all of them work to clean your car’s fuel system.

AM, Generally speaking regular gasoline does not contain additives as premium ones 
because it does not produce cinders much. Of course it will formulate/accumulate carbon 
sludge and cinders for a long running time.

Premium gasoline produces more cinders because of its octane natures=low ignition point.
It has to have additives to prevent from engine deposits.
However it is not powerful enough to clean up combustion chambers and/or fuel systems
throughly as many oil companies advocate.

It may be more practical to give a engine high rev shot once in a while for burning out
carbon sludge.

6 minutes ago, Ukiyo said:

It may be more practical to give a engine high rev shot once in a while for burning out
carbon sludge.

Fact Check:  https://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/50897/mileage_and_fuel/higher_octane_gasoline_will_clean_my_engine_dont_fall_for_that.html

AM, I am no scientist, and I can not explain you why but from my experiences as a mechanic
and a racing driver(I have overhauled many engines) I can tell that carbon deposits built onto spark plugs 
and valves will be  blown away  if you run engine under little bit lower the redzone for a while.

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/qa/q14/index.html

On 12/10/2018 at 2:15 PM, AngusMactavish said:

I have heard that the reason is to recover the costs of the additives they use that are not in the Pemex supplied gas.

EDIT TO ADD:

BP gasoline additives

BP gasoline contains a list of additives. Detergents, dispersants, and fuel-deposit-control additives help clean and prevent engine deposits. Rust and corrosion is prevented with corrosion inhibitors and metal deactivators. Antioxidants prevent the breaking down of gasoline and stabilizers ready fuel for storage.

Shell Gasoline additives

Shell gasoline is Nitrogen enriched, which work as a cleaning agent for your injectors and fuel system. It is an additive that is designed by Shell oil co. Every major brand oil companies have their own brand of additives that they add to their fuel and mostly all of them work to clean your car’s fuel system.

Response from an email I sent to BP Mexico:

Estimado Cliente,

The BP service stations will offer a unique gasoline in the market enriched with ACTIVE technology. The continuous use of BP gasoline with ACTIVE technology helps protect the engine from damaging deposits in the intake valves*.

BP will offer a unique gasoline in the Mexican market, BP fuels with ACTIVE technology that, with continued use, helps protect the engine from harmful deposits in the intake valves. *

* Based on the ASTM D6201 test.

Regards,
Katia
BP Mexico Fuels

In the old days, Shell used to advertise their gas with "Platformate"... and the TV commercial showed a car driving through a paper barrier, to indicate better mileage. Of course, it turns out you can't make car gasoline without chemically altering naptha into platformate. All gas has it. This "active" cleaning technology could be anything, but since every gasoline has a number of additives, charging extra for it is just a money grab.

Archived